Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Sandwich Breads
      #155513 - 03/01/05 04:23 PM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

I'm having a little trouble here.

I like to eat turkey & cranberry sauce sandwiches (is cranberry sauce ok with a soluble fiber base?), but lately I've been having a really hard time finding breads that don't contain HFCS, dairy, or seem to have a lot of fiber (when it doesn't indicate whether it is SF or ISF). I spent 20 minutes reading the ingredients of all loaves of bread at Albertson's today and the only two I could find were the Sugar-Free Mrs. Baird's (which doesn't contain artificial sweeteners, I don't think) and Wonder (which is going to be my last resort). I bought a loaf of wheat bread from the bakery that seemed safe except for a high amount of fiber... and after eating it I'm going to deem it unsafe and give it to DHTB. So now I'm left with the Mrs. Baird's, which I'm skeptical of.

What do you eat your sandwiches on and do you know of any national brands that make safe bread for us?

Thanks!

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Sandwich Breads new
      #155521 - 03/01/05 04:45 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I'm probably not going to be of much help, because I find that I'm ok with the HFCS - at least, the amount that's in commercial breads. So I buy Friehofer's (sp?) split-top white or whatever the really big loaf is (giant? something like that), and both of those have been fine for me - they're the only ones I've found that are completely dairy-free.

The only one I've found that has been 100% safe is J.J. Nissen "Giant" loaf, which, unfortunately, every grocery store in the area has stopped carrying, so maybe they've stopped making it. Figures, right?

umm.. wonder has dairy new
      #155528 - 03/01/05 05:28 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

at least it did when I looked... I think it was a sarah lee bread I found that was the mainstream bread that was safe... the grocery at the corner has a storebrand white sandwich (not the white or regular sandwich) bread that is safe so I eat that.

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: umm.. wonder has dairy new
      #155546 - 03/01/05 06:14 PM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

Hmmm. Maybe I didn't see that - I *did* read a whole lot of labels

Thanks for the suggestions!

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

#155552 - 03/01/05 06:33 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I recommend Oroweat's Sliced Country French bread--it's fat free, dairy-free. However, near the end of the ingredient list it does say that it contains a small amount of high fructose corn syrup. I'm also sensitive to HFCS, but this small amount doesn't seem to bother me if I only eat two or three slices a day. It's pretty tasty bread with toasted sesame seeds on the crust.

#155561 - 03/01/05 07:21 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

hi! Don't have much tips for you for bread since I buy from the local bakery here but I just wanted to say that I used to eat turkey sandwiches with cranberry sauce ALL THE TIME last summer! My boyfriend thought I was so weird but they're soooo good.

My only tip for the cranberry sauce is if you can buy the jellied stuff (you know, it comes out as a jelly cylinder if you plop it into a bowl from the can? lol) instead of the stuff with whole cranberries. I was totally fine with the former (with sf) but the latter gave me problems.

#155818 - 03/02/05 10:27 AM

Reged: 01/05/05

I buy a lot of french bread and have it sliced - I do not believe that has HFCS in it!

#155844 - 03/02/05 11:12 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I buy French bread or baguettes, but check the ingredients - some places do make them with eggs or dairy.

I also use rolls - Kaiser, Portugese, whatever - but again check the ingredients.

Last, but not least, try pita or flatbreads. I've never found eggs or dairy in either of them.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#170588 - 04/17/05 01:20 PM
Volatile

Reged: 03/08/05

Pita bread is alright? What about seasome seed buns and the bread used in sandwiches packaged at stores, I have to know if deli sandwiches they sell at stores I can have.

#170589 - 04/17/05 01:25 PM
Volatile

Reged: 03/08/05

Does anybody have a list of safe breads that you can buy at the stores, and then refegrate and use for the next week or longer. What breads can you buy which can last and be alright.

Volatile new
      #170733 - 04/18/05 02:40 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

It can actually help to avoid preservatives as much as possible as well so I rarely get packaged bread.

And I'm afraid I don't know any brands like that!

#170819 - 04/18/05 08:57 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

I go to the bakery section of my WalMart and pick up what they call English Toasting sliced bread. I keep it for a week. I replace it each week.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 8320 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1552

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review