All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Cream of Wheat
      #155242 - 03/01/05 08:42 AM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

I know wheat products aren't typically recommended for the IBS diet, but what about Cream of Wheat? It only has one gram of fiber (though it doesn't say whether it is S or IS) and the ingredients are:

wheat farina, salt, wheat germ, guar gum, natural flavor, BHT, and mono-and diglycerides

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Cream of Wheat new
      #155245 - 03/01/05 08:53 AM
Meryl36

Reged: 09/03/04
Loc: Dallas, Texas

I was wondering the same thing. I remember when I was little my mother used to server me some hot cereal that I thought may be cream of wheat but it was white. More like rice than wheat. I went to the store to look for it & all I could find was cream of wheat. I'd be interested to hear what people say about this product.
Meryl

#155248 - 03/01/05 08:55 AM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I am not sure on the rest, hopefully someone else can help you but BHT is a preservative and might be a trigger for some. Butylated Hydroxytoluene (BHT) is an antioxidant that slows the rancidity in fats, oils, and oil-containing foods. It is used in cereals, chewing gum, potato chips, and vegetable oil, they prevent the color, flavor, or texture changes that occur when foods are exposed to air. They are also used as fillers in vitamin and mineral supplements.
Some not so nice stuff written about it if you do a search on the internet.
However, like I said I haven't tried it myself that just jumped out at me as something I try and avoid. I have such a strong reaction to MSG I avoid as many preservatives as I can.
I have been looking for cream of rice, I thought they used to make it but don't see it anymore, maybe they didn't and I am just losing it lol.
Good Luck!

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

#155258 - 03/01/05 09:17 AM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

I thought that wheat was one of the main solubles for this diet?!?! I hope so, as I've been gorging myself silly on it for the last few months!!

#155267 - 03/01/05 09:32 AM

Unregistered

What is cream of wheat? Do we have an equivalent over here in the UK?

Judith

Clarification & an answer new
      #155276 - 03/01/05 09:51 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Wheat products ARE recommended on the IBS diet. Preference is given to white wheat products, such as white bread and pasta. WHOLE wheat is the one to watch out for... but it's insoluble fiber and can still be eaten safely by some people when combined with a soluble-fiber base.

I've had no problems eating Cream of Wheat. Something to note, though - the instant kind contains wheat germ, which is insoluble, whereas the kind you cook does not. If you want something that's purely soluble, go with the kind you have to cook.

Re: Cream of RICE new
      #155295 - 03/01/05 10:48 AM
abby82

Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: Nevada

Ive been looking for Cream of rice FOREVER and I finally found it the other day at Albertsons. Its made by Nabisco and its next to the cream of wheat and other hot cereals. Its in a little orange box ( a lot smaller than the cream of wheat box)

#155445 - 03/01/05 02:15 PM
Meryl36

Have you tried the cream of rice yet?
I'll try to get over to albertson's tomorrow to get some. I tried a gluten free cream of brown rice yesterday & it made me soooo sick. I guess I just can't do brown rice.
Meryl

#155450 - 03/01/05 02:25 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I've also found cream of rice - and as far as I can tell, it's white rice - in the babyfood aisle. It's also cheaper than the stuff in the cereal aisle.

I haven't had problems with it, and indeed, it's listed as one of the safest foods there is, so maybe brown rice is just a bit much for you!

#155461 - 03/01/05 02:44 PM
Meryl36

Oh, I never thought of looking in the baby food aisle. Since my kids are the four legged kind, I never go down there. I'll check it out tomorrow though. Yeah, that brown rice stuff is going in the trash!
Meryl

I get the so called 1 minute kind- nt new
      #155499 - 03/01/05 03:59 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#155506 - 03/01/05 04:15 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

hmmm I was just checking the cereal aisle of the grocery stores, never thought that I might find some in the baby aisle, thanks Casey!

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1802 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1161

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review