All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Laurel's right new
      #157171 - 03/05/05 01:55 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

But the enxzymes DO work on that meal so take them if you feel they help. I was just saying that following the instructions with whatever probiotic you're taking is the best guide...for mine that means taking it once a day.

Edited by Linz (03/05/05 01:57 AM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Taking enzymes... new
      #157225 - 03/05/05 07:15 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

For enzymes go with what it says on the bottle since different brands contain different total amounts of enzymes. Usually its something like take one before most meals or two or three if the meal is really large or especially fatty or something like that. Go with the bottle's instructions, but you may need to experiment a little to find what works for you. When I started taking enzymes I experienced fewer cramps after meals almost immediately, but everyone's different!

Does your enzyme have lots of different kinds of enzymes in it? (It should be listed on the bottle - protease, lipase, cellulase, amylase etc.?) The more enzymes the more kinds of food (protein, fat, fiber, starches) it will help you digest, so the more valuable the product.

Here's a good page on digestive enzymes.

....and while I'm at it, here a good one on acidophilus (probiotic).

[Note: don't necessarily follow the dosages on these pages... go with the instructions on your bottles and your own slight experimentation to see what works for you! ]

Re: Taking enzymes... new
      #157235 - 03/05/05 07:42 AM

Reged: 01/05/05

Thanks for your input. My super digestaway bottle ingredients has gelatin for the capsule, magnesium stearate, silica, celluose and maletodextrin aong with mg of numerous other "stuff" - peppermint 45mg, ginger 45 mg, etc. No where near what you mention. my acidophilus is from Natrol and contains just lactobacillus -100mg. I hope that is good enough

I need to take as powerful of them as i could!

Re: Taking enzymes... new
      #157255 - 03/05/05 08:17 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Your enzymes (if they ARE enzymes) should have some enzymes in them, lol! Enzymes are usually anything ending in "-ase". Is this what you're taking? It says it contains "enzymes essential to the digestion and assimilation of proteins, fats, and carbohydrate" - which means it probably has protease, lipase and amylase. So you're good

As for your lactobacillus, the important number is the number of live bacteria, which will be in billions per capsule - a number between 1 and 2 billion is good. It should tell you but I don't think Natrol does, which is kind of annoying... Unfortunately probiotics aren't regulated too well, and lots of products have few to no actually LIVE bacteria, which is what you need. Of course I'm sure what you're taking is a good product though, but if after a few months you don't notice any difference try switching to another brand (which goes for everyone taking probiotics). Asking at an HFS is a good idea for finding a good brand.

Hope that helps

Re: Taking enzymes..- new brand new
      #157317 - 03/05/05 03:17 PM

Reged: 01/05/05

I just bought from Whole foods today a different probiotic which indicates it provides 4 billion live colony forming units per capsule.(Power-Dophilus - ever heard of it?) Natrol brand said nothing so I am not going to switch. I also just bought a different enzymes called essential enzymes which indicates a lost of ase words in it and overall contains 500 mg of an all-vegeterian spectrum blend of digestive enzymes. I am hoping I now feel a little better. I am also waiting for my acacia to be delivered and I will start with 1/4 tsp 2 times per day. I am hoping I will begin to feel better

Any advice on what I will be now taking???

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4874 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9020

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review