All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Anybody work from home? Need advice!
      #155128 - 03/01/05 12:30 AM
stidesheaven

Reged: 11/03/04
Loc: Colorado

I hope I'm not bringing up a topic that's been discussed in length already but I've been searching for hours and didn't find any posts on legitimate jobs you can do at home. I know sooooo many of us would jump at the chance to find something we can do at home that is low-stress (although probably low-pay as well but anything is better than nothing). Anyone do envelope stuffing or any advice from people who work at home successfully? I have been unable to work for a year, totally broke and in debt and don't have any funds coming in, very depressed and can't manage to hold a job. I was fired after 2 days this last time due to the stress. I know I am not alone. I follow Heather's diet religiously and take bentyl 4X a day. I can handle some social situations, thankfully I have a good amount of great friends. I always drive myself wherever I go so I can leave if I need to and go home, I never leave to go anywhere that will take more than ten minutes for me to get home, I have some kind of public restroom anxiety so i do need to get home for relief.

Does anyone have any success finding work at home? Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I don't work from home but.... new
      #155129 - 03/01/05 01:02 AM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

I want to end up doing that fairly soon. I am a web designer and do it as a hobby, I really want to get to a stage where I have built up lots of clients so can work from home - hate sitting in an office answering to people I don't respect all day - its so CRAPPY!!

Re: Anybody work from home? Need advice! new
      #155153 - 03/01/05 04:00 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

As far as I know, all of those envelope-stuffing and work-at-home things are nothing but scams. Sorry. I'd love if they were legit too - I haven't been able to work outside the home for over a year now.

I sell on ebay, which is the only thing keeping me from going completely insane and/or broke. It's a lot of hard work for relatively little money, but it's better than nothing.

#155154 - 03/01/05 04:12 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I have considered working from home as I am a graphic designer. But I would need to work for a company that would employ me full-time to work out of my home.

I worked for the government a few years ago and they set me up with a GREAT Mac, an ethernet network link and a bunch of other things so I could connect to my computer there. I only worked from home half a dozen times but I loved it. But to be honest, I didn't get nearly as much work done at home.

I hope you figure something out. Good luck.

Ebay queen.... new
      #155155 - 03/01/05 04:16 AM
nikjones_uk

Ebay's great isn't it!!

Disability new
      #155173 - 03/01/05 06:22 AM
babymom

Reged: 02/24/05

I was just thinking those same thoughts this morning!! I would also love to get over the bathroom anxiety thing!! But i would also love to be with my kiddos!! If you can't work you should be able to apply for disability if you have held a job in the past. My husband helps people who have been denied disability - he works for an attorney and they have had success getting people disability with IBS if it is severe enough!

#155174 - 03/01/05 06:25 AM
ColbySD

Reged: 06/09/03
Loc: San Diego, Ca

I have worked at home for the past four years. I work for a local Safety Supply Co. and do all their website updates, data entry, flyers, brochures and catalog. Every September I make a Program for a local surf competition, which brings in alittle extra income. I have worked for the company for 7 years and was allowed to work at home after I become ill. I have been very fortunate with my employers, I wish they all were as compassionate.

Some suggestions for at home work:
Medical Billing
Data Entry
Any computer related work a company needs

My suggestion is to place an ad in a local paper offering your services. Some companies are willing to outsource some of their spreadsheet or database or works projects. You could charge by the job.

As far as the medical billing goes, my mother did that while she was home undergoing chemotherapy. She had bought a medical billing program....not sure how she had gotten the accounts.

Wishing you the best of luck

Colby

--------------------
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.
--Bern Williams

Thinking of billing... new
      #155177 - 03/01/05 06:27 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...my Mum now does legal billing at home to fill the gaps between temp jobs as a locum solicitor.

How about child minding? I've known people look after other people's kids with their own to bring some extra cash in.

an add on to this.... new
      #155182 - 03/01/05 06:46 AM
nikjones_uk

I'm sure there are a lot of companies that would prefer someone to work at home, as it lowers overheads! One less person in the office!!

You'd think so, wouldn't you,... new
      #155189 - 03/01/05 07:15 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...but in my experience there tends to be a mental block about this! In this day and age, many MANY jobs could be done from home at least part of the time but this option is rarely offered....I now wish I'd stayed at my last permanent job until I got so ill that I went down the disability route...that would've been the only way to get my old company to let me work from home!

Re: You'd think so, wouldn't you,... new
      #155204 - 03/01/05 07:30 AM
nikjones_uk

...yeah, true! And to be honest, I would never in a million years be able to work from home in the job I do at the moment - but hopefully that'll all change pretty soon!

#155278 - 03/01/05 09:55 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Good luck if you do decide to go this route. I've had ZERO luck finding companies who will let me work from home, even though I have good equipment and a high-speed connection, as well as plenty of office experience and even a history of self-employment. I've lived everywhere from small towns to major metropolitan areas, and it's all the same. Most companies are far too traditional and want people in the office, so they can supervise them. Sad but true. Colby, you've been very lucky... good for you! I wish all employers were that good to work with, too!

#155291 - 03/01/05 10:40 AM
stidesheaven

Reged: 11/03/04
Loc: Colorado

Thanks to everyone for their input! I am thinking about putting an ad in the paper. My concerns about disability are that I'm only 25 and if I did get disability I'm afraid it wouldn't pay me nearly anything. I've done eBay too, wondering what kinds of things some of you have sold and where you acquire enough things to sell. Good luck to everyone and thanks again!

Re: I don't work from home but.... new
      #155420 - 03/01/05 01:45 PM
Tissy

Reged: 07/15/04
Loc: Baltimore, MD

I am in graphic design and web design too and still it is not easy to work from home or I would be doing it. I have tried but you need to build clients. And the truth of the matter is these days ALOT of people know how to work the programs theirselves and do their own designs and websites, etc. And the big companies want big ad companies doing their designs.

Good Luck Fellow Designers,
Christie

--------------------
Christie
~Hoping and Praying for Sleep!~

#155674 - 03/02/05 06:51 AM
ColbySD

Reged: 06/09/03
Loc: San Diego, Ca

Maybe we could all work together with the unique things every one makes themselves, and sell it all on one website. It may bring in some supplemental income. Possibly Tissy could design and maintain the site, everyone else would receive the money from their sales. A percentage of the sales would go to Tissy for her work.
You can get a website hosted for a small price each month. There is a free shopping cart program out there called "Mal's Ecommerce" which uses paypal for transactions.
I have seen picture of some of the stuff you guys do....I'd buy some .
Just a thought, sorry if I am being a pain.

Colby

--------------------
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.
--Bern Williams

#155675 - 03/02/05 06:54 AM
nikjones_uk

or....we could become life coaches to people with IBS and offer advice and sympathy to people with the same problems! Make loads of money and all move to the bahamas! (for those of us who live in wet/horrid/cold places - aka the UK!) - sounds like a good plan to me!

Work from home? I've been looking too!!! new
      #155758 - 03/02/05 08:58 AM
HeidnOut

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: CA, USA

I have been looking on the web for about a year now for a legitimate job I can do from home, preferably on my computer. Even just Data Entry. What I have been finding out is that most of these companies ask you to mail them a small non refundable fee to obtain a list of companies that hire people to work from home. There have been many complaints and scams in this area I've found out. I always check the BBB website www.bbb.com to check their background and so far I've yet to find one in good standing. You can check either by company name or type in the website. One of them I checked, I entered the website and it came back with at least 50 other websites that this company is operating under. It also stated that they had an unsatisfactory record with the BBB and states the reasons why. Something to think about when searching. Heidi

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2294 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2118

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review