All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
New Lower Sugar Luna Bars???
      #154840 - 02/28/05 03:38 AM

Unregistered

Okay so I ended up with a bunch of Dulce de Leche Luna Bars and didn't realize till I opened the box of them that they package looked a little different and on the top corner it says "Less Sugar and 3g Fiber"

So my question is, is there some artificial sweetner in there which we couldn't have?? or did they just find a new recipe that didn't involve as much sugar. I thought I'd figure it out by reading the ingredients but there are way too many funky names on that list that I'd never know what I was looking for.

Well if someone can shed some light on this for me that would be great!! Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: New Lower Sugar Luna Bars??? new
      #154844 - 02/28/05 03:51 AM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

What does it say in the ingredients? Post the ingredients here...

Ingredients new
      #154847 - 02/28/05 04:01 AM

Unregistered

Well I guess I kinda answered my question because I went to the luna bar site (www.lunabar.com) to the get the ingrediet list and they've got an explanation of their new formula and say that it's still 100% natural and nothing artificial - they've just made a new recipe. So we're good then I guess??

Ingredients: LunaProTM (Soy Rice Crisp [Soy Protein Isolate, Rice Flour], Organic Oats, Organic Roasted Soybeans, Organic Soy Flour, Organic Flaxseed), Brown Rice Syrup, Caramel Topping and Pieces (Organic Evaporated Cane Juice, Rice Syrup, Cocoa Butter, Soy Protein Concentrate, Natural Flavors, Sea Salt, Soy Lecithin), Vegetable Glycerin, Inulin, Coating (Organic Evaporated Cane Juice, Palm Kernel Oil, Soy Flour, Inulin, Soy Lecithin, Natural Vanilla), Natural Flavors Sea Salt, Green Tea Extract.

Vitamins & Minerals: Calcium Carbonate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Magnesium Oxide, Ascorbic Acid (Vit. C), Alpha-Tocopherol Acetate (Vit. E), Ferrous Fumarate (Iron), Molybdenum Glycinate, Biotin, Beta Carotene (Vit. A), Riboflavin (B2), Calcium Pantothenate, Zinc Oxide, Selenium, Thiamin (B1), Niacin (B3), Chromium, Phytonadione (Vit. K), Manganese, Pyridoxine (B6), Cupric Oxide, Folic Acid, Cyanocobalamin (B12), Potassium Iodide.

Yeah... new
      #154848 - 02/28/05 04:05 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

There's no artificial sweetener and no dairy, etc, so the ingredients are still safe. I haven't tried a new one yet to see if the increased fiber is going to be a problem.

My big complaint about it - and I actually wrote to them to complain! - is that they've cut all the vitamins! They used to be 100% RDA of the various vitamins, now it's like... 10%, 20%. I was using luna bars as my "daily vitamin" because I can't take actual vitamins, so this really annoyed me.

That makes us UK people feel a wee bit better then... new
      #154849 - 02/28/05 04:07 AM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

..as we can't get them over here esp if they are heading down that route!!

Re: Yeah... new
      #154853 - 02/28/05 04:16 AM

Unregistered

That is awful! That's one of the biggest things they boasted about too - wonder why they would make such a change.

I hate stuff like that where no matter how much you complain it's pretty obvious that they can't do anything about it. Despite that though, I think I'll write them an email too.

Guess you'll just have to eat more now

haha we should all write emails to complain... theres alot of us. new
      #154856 - 02/28/05 04:23 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

anyways.. that is really annoying. Has anyone tried the new ones and noticed any difference in taste?

--------------------

I've tried the new ones new
      #154876 - 02/28/05 06:39 AM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

... and I think they are SO much better than the old, super sugary ones. The only new one I've tried is the Nuts over chocolate, and even though I hadn't eaten the old one in quite a while, I tried a regular sugar Key Lime Pie and it was so sugary, it was disgusting. And I used to LIKE the Key Lime Pie flavor.

My favorite flavor is Chocolate Pecan Pie, but I haven't eaten it in a while. Tied with that would be the new Nuts over Chocolate. Yum!

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

Re: I've tried the new ones new
      #154902 - 02/28/05 08:12 AM
atomic rose

I agree that they could stand to be a little less sugary, but I STILL fail to understand why they had to take vitamins OUT. Sugar and vitamins have nothing to do with each other! And it's not like the calories have gone down - they're still 180 a pop. I'd rather put up with a little extra sugar than have to start taking a pain-inducing multivitamin to make up for what they've taken out. I probably won't bother eating them anymore, once I use up my stash of the old ones.

Re: Off subject but......... new
      #154912 - 02/28/05 08:22 AM
Meryl36

Reged: 09/03/04
Loc: Dallas, Texas

Brittany,
I just had to tell you, I love the picture of your Yorkie!
I have two at home but they would never let me dress them up like that!
Your's is just too cute!!

Re: I've tried the new ones new
      #154945 - 02/28/05 09:44 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

blaa so annoying.. if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Have they gave reasoning behind taking out all the vitamins?

--------------------

#154969 - 02/28/05 10:55 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

I just bought a box of the new ones of Toasted Nuts N' Cranberry and Peppermint... so, I'll let you know if I taste any difference.

I just wrote them and companied about the decrease in vitamins as well.

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Edited by Shell Marr (02/28/05 11:03 AM)

#155046 - 02/28/05 05:38 PM

Unregistered

Thanks Meryl!! I just took that the other night and that was like the 5th try. We don't dress her too often but she tolerates it pretty well. I get baby tshirts and cut them to fit her and re-postition the arm holes and all.

I want to see pics of yours!!

I did notice a difference... new
      #155047 - 02/28/05 05:42 PM

Unregistered

..and it was very disappointing. The Dulce de Leche was my running fav lately and my dad was nice to bring this whole box of "new formula" ones from the store and I took one to school today and I was so mad because it just didn't taste as good at all and then texture felt kinda different too.

I agree that the Lemon and Lime ones could definitely use the sugar being toned down, but I'm so sad that I've got to eat this whole box of Dulce de Leches that are just depressing. lol can you tell I'm upset?? I was totally pmsing today and it was going to taste so good too!

WTF? new
      #155056 - 02/28/05 06:29 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I just thought they changed the wrapper and hadn't even looked at the nutrition facts! I just bought 4 boxes, 3 are new and 1 is the old formula. It seems that they have raised the fat on the toasted nuts and cranberries. But I am super upset about the less vitamins and minerals!!! I don't want to mess around with finding a multi vitamin that will agree with me. I thought these are supposed to be health bars "The Whole Nutrition Bar for Women" The extra fiber shouldn't matter and is actually ok since it is still 1gram of IF. I thought the predictions for the new year were that the low carb thing would go away. It just infuriates me! Everyone seems to do it, but then everyone gains weight back of course. Well I will also e-mail them as well.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

I just did... new
      #155059 - 02/28/05 06:30 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

abnd mentioned that they are being lambasted on a support website for an ailment where many of us have been using them to replace multivitamins because we can't take the vitamins safely but their bars are safe!

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

me too new
      #155068 - 02/28/05 06:47 PM
Little Minnie

and I did notice too BTW that the toasted nuts and cranberries I had today was tart. I thought it was my cold. I have 2 boxes of cranberry flavor, 1 of peppermint stick and 1 nutz over choc which is the old kind. Anyway we should all e-mail. It is silly to take out vitamins. I suppose they are trying to save money? thoughts?

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

visual and taste test on the Toasted Nuts N' Cranberry old vs new new
      #155259 - 03/01/05 09:17 AM
Shell Marr

Quote:

I just bought a box of the new ones of Toasted Nuts N' Cranberry and Peppermint... so, I'll let you know if I taste any difference.

I just wrote them and companied about the decrease in vitamins as well.

I just did a visual and taste test on the Toasted Nuts N' Cranberry old vs new.... the older one looks dryer and the texture is not as light feeling (NOT like a RKT anymore)...and not as sweet...but that is not a bad thing either.... I like them both. Would prefer the old but will still eat this one for sure.

No reply to my email yet....

--------------------

#155268 - 03/01/05 09:33 AM
Meryl36

Reged: 09/03/04
Loc: Dallas, Texas

I don't have a website to post my pictures from but if I ever get around to having one, I'll figure out exactly how to do it. In the meantime I love seeing pics of everyone's pets. I'm nuts about animals!
Meryl

Nope, no idea.... new
      #155272 - 03/01/05 09:42 AM
atomic rose

I emailed them almost a week ago and haven't gotten a reply yet.

Re: Yeah... new
      #155274 - 03/01/05 09:46 AM
atomic rose

Heh... I wish it were as simple as just eating more of them... I'm trying to watch my weight, I can't afford to keep noshing down on 180-calorie bars.

Now I can't find where I mentioned the fiber increase, so I'll just mention it here - the reason I was "concerned" is because what they've added to the new Lunas for more fiber is inulin. Inulin is one of the SFS's that Heather mentions as being hard to digest and particularly gassy. Fortunately, I'm fine with it, but that might not be the case for everyone. Although, I'm betting there isn't that much inulin in them... eh, I don't know. Just something to keep in mind if you're sensitive to it.

#155372 - 03/01/05 12:22 PM

Reged: 01/05/05

I have been also buying the Cliff bars and they have a lot of vitamins and dietary fiber - nice change -

#155444 - 03/01/05 02:15 PM
Shell Marr

Amie got a reply back from LUNA

--------------------

Re: visual and taste test on the Toasted Nuts N' Cranberry old vs new new
      #156636 - 03/03/05 04:14 PM
Little Minnie

I have decided that the new cranberry is significantly less yummy! It just isn't sweet enough. I need to have my luna bars be treats to keep me away from the bad treats out there. So I am disgruntled. When my boxes are gone I will try a yummier flavor and see how that goes (they upped the fat grams anyway). Has anyone tried another kind? I guess the peppermint is okay. I'll taste test that one tomorrow.

--------------------

#156722 - 03/03/05 07:39 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Grrrrr! I wrote to them too, and I said I didn't need one of their generic responses but wanted to let them know how disappointed I am.
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

I got a different Luna Reply new
      #157031 - 03/04/05 11:46 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi all,
I got this eMail from the Luna bar people:
Hi Stephanie,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us here at Clif Bar Inc. I'm sorry that you and your friends are disappointed with the new Luna. We listen very closely to our consumer comments, and have been taking down everyone's feedback about the changes we have made. All we ask is that you check back with us in the future to see if we have any new products that will fill your vitamin/nutritional needs, but understand if you are not interested in our products anymore.
If you have any other questions or comments, please contact me at jhantman@clifbar.com or call 800-884-5254 ext. 105.

So I guess it wasn't the generic reply that I said I didn't want.
I wish they hadn't changed it!!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5027 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6191

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review