All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Re: I eat gluten free new
      #154975 - 02/28/05 11:03 AM
del e

Reged: 02/27/05
Loc: Clever, Mo

That sounds great! I would appreciate it if you could post both recipes. Is there something I can sub for the rice milk? I haven't checked it lately but I believe it has an ingredient that I can't eat.

Thanks,
Del

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Tricky... new
      #155137 - 03/01/05 01:33 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...the best way is to ask here I'm afraid.

#155142 - 03/01/05 03:36 AM
CathUK

Reged: 05/25/04
Loc: Cambridge, UK

Will do it later. You can use any kind of milk - soy, almond, oat etc. I haven't tried it with water, but I guess you could give it a go.

Welcome to eating for IBS, GF style new
      #155195 - 03/01/05 07:22 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Quote:

Hi,
I have been reading on the website for a few days and some here on the forum. I did a search but did not pull anything up about my question. I am celiac and would like to know if the gluten free grains are soluble fiber? That depends. All grains, being GF or not have a certain percentage of both soluble and insoluble fiber. You want to work with the grains that have the highest percentage of soluble fiber. I am suspecting yes, since quinoa is soluble. I want to make some bread with Amaranth flour. Unfortunately Amaranth ranks up there with whole wheat flour with only 35% soluble fiber and the rest being insoluble. Best to stick with white rice flour, tapioca flour, potato starch flour and yes, quinoa flour at first-- as you stabilize you can safely mix Amaranth flour in with the other flours that are higher in soluble fiber. I have been trying this diet for the past 2 days.Don't really know if I have IBS or not, but something is happening to my gut! IBS is definitely associated with CD so it is likely you have both. You picked the right diet to settle things down, you just have to pick gluten free grains instead of wheat/barley or oat based ones. Kandee

--------------------

Re: Welcome to eating for IBS, GF style new
      #155224 - 03/01/05 08:18 AM
del e

Hi Kandee,
Thank you. Very helpful info. Can You tell me about Millet grain?
Del

Re: Tricky... new
      #155228 - 03/01/05 08:25 AM
del e

Thanks Linz for all your help!
Del

Unfortunately... new
      #155251 - 03/01/05 09:02 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I can't help with recipes as I buy my bread in frozen section of a HFS and they do contain eggs and other stuff you probably canot have.

I would recommend getting a GF cookbook by Bette Hagman ("Bette Hagman Bakes Bread" or "Cooking Fast and Healthy") or especially Carol Fenster's "Special Diet Solutions: Healthy Cooking Without Wheat, Gluten, Dairy, Eggs, Yeast, or Refined Sugar." You can check it out at the library. It's great for people who have to avoid more than just gluten and dairy.

I think you could find some recipes in there that would work for you. She also offers substitutions for flours in the recipes if you cannot tolerate the ones listed in the recipe. I have made Bettes "Elizabeth Banana Bread as well as her Applesauce Bread which is extremely low fat and low sugar. Excellent.

One more thought, you might want to check out the magazine "Living without". I think they even have a website at livingwithout.com. It also is geared towards individuals with multiple food intolerances.
Good luck

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Unfortunately... new
      #155279 - 03/01/05 10:06 AM
del e

Thanks for all that info. Especially the cookbook info. I will look into getting them from the library. I get the Living without mag already. It's great!
Del

#155284 - 03/01/05 10:17 AM
Carol H

Reged: 02/28/05

Isn't millet ok, both for SF and for CD? I am also on a gluten free diet, because I have MS, so I have used millet and quinoa flours.
Carol

Millet new
      #155288 - 03/01/05 10:35 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Quote:

Hi Kandee,
Thank you. Very helpful info. Can You tell me about Millet grain? Hi again Del, It's fine for IBS but it has a slightly different flavor so some people find it hard to get used to. I eat puffed millet all the time. I'm sure you could find millet flour if you looked but I've never used it. A good rule of thumb when you are deciding on an alternative flour is to go by the color. The whiter it is the higher the soluble fiber percentage it has, just like the difference between whole wheat flour and white wheat flour and rice flour and brown rice flour. However, combining the two, especially rice flours are usually tolerable for IBS. Kandee
Del

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2021 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 17067

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review