All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
New
      #154289 - 02/25/05 05:55 PM
Schnauzersrus

Reged: 02/25/05

Hi! I've been lurking awhile, ordered Heather's books, take her acacia, Metamucil, and Triphala. I have IBS-C. My question is does anyone really see improvement eating white bread and pasta? It always constipates me. You know what works for me 90% of the time? Staying home alone from work and relaxing. I'll go to the bathroom several times a day and feel like a new woman. But how often can one do that? Anyway, just curious about real success with foods that have little insoluble fiber.

Thanks,
Sherri

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: New new
      #154316 - 02/25/05 07:31 PM
AllisonL

Reged: 01/19/05
Loc: Chapel Hill, North Carolina

I agree, when I get to stay home and relax and drink tea leisurely and have a nice slow breakfast, things are great. I am a med student and have been staying home from lecture, studying at home for a couple weeks now. It has gotten to the point where I know I will not go to the bathroom if I go in to class, and will have gas that builds up all day. So, that is my only sure solution for now. Dont know what I will do next year (3rd year we are in the hospital all day!) If I get up quite early and have time to relax before going in, I am also ok and have a bm. But once I am around other ppl, my colon gets really nervous or something and freezes up!

not a C.. but if you are... new
      #154379 - 02/26/05 06:32 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

then IF is still an important thing- you just need to balance it with soluble fiber, not eat just soluble fiber... the insoluble fiber is what makes you go! others can give more info on this but I'm an A and I'll swing to the C side myself if I only do SF and not IF as well... good luck

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#154382 - 02/26/05 06:39 AM
Stonegate

Reged: 06/30/04
Loc: Lawrence, Kansas

You know the relaxation thing is a wonder worker for me or was. It worked really well in the beginning but then my wife wasn't nearly as understanding after absenteeism was becoming a problem at work. When my wife stopped being as supportive I found that having time off wasn't doing me any good anymore because I was worrying about her reaction, not to mention my bosses.

--------------------
Sometimes I walk backwards to see where I have been!

IBS-C new
      #154391 - 02/26/05 07:27 AM
bellshel32

Reged: 10/28/04
Loc: Kansas, USA

I can't eat lots of it in one sitting. I honestly can't tell if eating rice & pasta helps me, but it doesn't seem to hurt me unless I eat a lot of it. I think it does make me more C if I don't watch my intake. (I also feel safer eating mixed-grain breads & brown rice more often than the whites.) As for the C, I never seem to do well unless I'm regularly taking Miralax.

#154415 - 02/26/05 08:44 AM
RobinV

Reged: 01/08/05
Loc: wayne,pa

schnauzer,
I have been C forever. I have had all the battery of tests, and I have IBS, reflux and hiatial hernia. The dr. thought I had Celiac so I went on a GF diet for awhile. It seem to help with the C but then I started all over again. I did get the Acadia but it just made it work, then I went back on the miralax and that really didnt help. What I have found is that dairy especially cheese is an IBS Trigger for C. Also, I need to drink at least 32oz of water and eat as cleanly as possible.Also, I found a great supplement that is working pretty well. It is a fiber supplement and a very mild laxative, milk thistle. It is made by enzymatic therapy, and there is a site for it. So with all these combination of things the C is alot better. Two days ago I went twice and it was so big, not D, and I have been going pretty reg. for a couple of weeks, with maybe 1 or 2 days I don't. But I am really careful about what I eat and the water intake.I hope this is some help for you. Do you have a schnauzer?

#154716 - 02/27/05 12:52 PM
Schnauzersrus

Reged: 02/25/05

Yes RobinV, I do have a Standard Schnauzer. My Miniature Schnauzer died last year at age 15. I definitely like their personalities! What clowns! What is the name of the fiber supplement that you have found helpful? Did you mean that the fiber supplement has milk thistle in it?

Sherri

Thanks for your response.

#154718 - 02/27/05 01:07 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Welcome. Here's a link that explains why soluble fiber does NOT constipate. It actually helps ease constipation. web page

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

I second that.... new
      #154758 - 02/27/05 04:45 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I'm an A also, and I have noticed that if I eat nothing but solubles, I sometimes tend to get C. You absolutely do have to get an adequate amount of insoluble fiber to keep things moving, and that amount does vary from person to person. If you're finding that white flour/rice is leaving you constipated, that's a pretty good sign that you're not eating enough insolubles for your body, and should increase them, while still continuing to "cushion" them with the soluble fiber. Good luck!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5971 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1050

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review