All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Think I've identified the source of my problems :o
      #153886 - 02/25/05 02:20 AM
JaneC

Reged: 02/20/05
Loc: England

I think I eat too many vegetables, and that is what causes my gastric distress. I talked to my dad, who said he suffers from the same thing.

Unfortunately, I don't really know what else I can eat. I usually eat some kind of main dish made from veggies and pulses or tofu, with rice or a potato for my dinner. I have to eat quite a bit because I'm active, and I need the energy.

I have always been vegetarian, and I don't know what else I can really eat (I don't eat Quorn because it's got eggs in, and I prefer whole foods to artificial ones).

Any suggestions? I don't want to end up eating tofu everyday, or eating processed foods. I don't eat fake meat, because the reason I don't eat meat or fish is because I don't like it....

--------------------
"This is truly the age of bacteria: as it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be."

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Think I've identified the source of my problems :o new
      #153945 - 02/25/05 06:10 AM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

hi, I am new to being strict vegetarian, but there are lots of foods that I eat!
One thing I should metnion is that I have been pretty stable for awhile, so I can probably eat things some people couldn't.
Lentils, and lentil soup. I ALWAYS eat this with pita bread or rice. I put kidney beans in tomato sauce for pasta. chickpeas I throw into a pita whole, or make into hummus. I also seem to tolerate them well in a green salad as long as I have had bread first.
Have you ever tried tempeh? It is good, it is a block or fermented whole soybeans, much higher in protein than tofu.
If you have Heather's cookbook, Eating for Ibs, there is a recipe for a black bean dip. I omit the spicy pepper stuff and make it. Then I wrap it up in a fat free floour tortilla with a little salsa, and eat with baked corn chips. I also eat vegan soy burgers, but I know that you are not into processed foods. There are plenty of ideas on the recipe board, too. Do a board search for 'vegan' (on the recipe board, not htis one) and you will find lots of recipes, they are usually indicated that they are vegan in the recipe.
Also, if you have a vegan cookbook, you can scan the recipes for one that sounds kinda IBS safe, or easily modified. Look for recipes that call for cooked things and veggies, or pureed foods. Not all foods in my vegan cookbooks I could probably eat, but I do see that alot of them are safe as is or easily modified, it is a matter of knowing the ins and outs of the EFI diet.
Good luck!

--------------------
-Sheri

Worthington products new
      #153955 - 02/25/05 06:22 AM
puffybelly

Reged: 02/04/05

I have a friend who is a vegetarian and she eats products made my Worthington. Worthington is a Seventh-Day-Adventist company that makes "fake meat" as many SDA folks are vegetarian. It is usually found in the health food section of your grocery store. Check for "Choplets"..."Fri-Chik"...I don't remember what they call their hotdogs.

--------------------
"puffy"

#154137 - 02/25/05 11:42 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Try quino,millet, and buckwheat (kasha). Also try steaming your veggies, roasting them, and pureeing them as soups. Rice pasta is a good change of pace from regular pasta...and the other grins I metioned give you protein in addition to carbs. Hope this helps some.....

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Sheri new
      #154138 - 02/25/05 11:46 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I didn't know you were a vegetarin! Animals rights or health...?

Anyway, which vegan cookbooks do you have? I've been searching everywhere for one! I don't eat any sugar or gluten at the moment (might add gluten back in again at some poinjt we'll see). any ideas for m? Thanks!

P.S. How are you doing these days? You look fabulous!!!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#154429 - 02/26/05 09:28 AM
JaneC

Reged: 02/20/05
Loc: England

Thanks, Ruchie! I just bought some quinoa today, so shall try it this week. I am just going to miss my big chunks of veggies....especially broccoli, which I know is evil I also bought a Mouli to make mashes & soups, and a peeler- maybe peeling veggies will make them okay.

--------------------
"This is truly the age of bacteria: as it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be."

#154557 - 02/26/05 09:26 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

Do you notice you have problems with fresh and cooked veggies, or just fresh? I would suggest adding in more rice, bread, pasta, ect. How are you with beans? There are lots of things you can do with them. Also, you could try nutritional yeast, it's this nutty flavored yeast that you can make fake cheese sauces with, it's got protein I think you should try looking online for some vegetarian/vegan recipes that don't include too much veggies, there are lots of them!

--------------------
IBS-C

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5008 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 717

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review