All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Chinese Herbalists.....
      #153821 - 02/24/05 06:35 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

Hi! Since my doc told me that I've tried just about everything available for ibs and for now I can't afford a naturopath, I'm considering visiting a chinese herbalist. I've spoken to her on the phone and she seems lovely and said they had heaps of stuff to help me but I was just wondering if anyone's been to one before and what experience you had with what they gave you? I know everyone's different but just curious.

--------------------
Amy

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Chinese Herbalists..... new
      #153835 - 02/24/05 07:09 PM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

i have not been to an herbalist but was also considering searching out some chinese remedies assuming i could find a location!! i was wanting to find some herbs that could be made into a tea or something--definately something natural! what did that lady say she had in stock?? any good kind of herbs??

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

Ashley new
      #153837 - 02/24/05 07:21 PM
doubletrouble

She didn't really tell me what she had just that she had plenty of herbs that help D, pain and gas and that all I had to do was go see her and she would give me what I needed. I'm just sick of filling my body with chemicals every day. I worry about long term effects. Surely it's not healthy to be popping this many pills and potions every day? I'd be interested to know how you get on if you go and see one and I'll let you know how I go. I'm hoping to go next week.

--------------------
Amy

Mine was a bad experience....... new
      #153935 - 02/25/05 05:43 AM
Natalie1985

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

Unfortunately I tried a chinese herbalist before too....Ive literally tried everything! I had a really really bad experience though....she looked at my tongue did some weird test type things and then told me which would be the best stuff to take. I had to take these little black round balls....which were just funny looking pills but they were actually just herbs bound together all natural....and I had to take so many a day. I started them immediately when I got home...did everything they said and I was sooo hopefull that it was gona finally be a cure to all my symptoms. However....I wish that had been true cos what followed was the worst attack Ive ever ever had....Ive since had ones that come close but I think that was the first that was that serious. I felt like my inside were all gona come out....it was the most painful thing ever. I wasnt able to go the toilet for ages but I felt like I was in labour or something....when I eventually did have d it was black!! The colour of the pills!! Now I dont know what happened or why I reacted that badly but I have been absolutely terrified ever since because that was the first attack I ever had that I actually thought I might die from! I know I sound like a bludy wining over reacting woman.....but honestly I cant even describe how bad it was. I have a feeling the peppermint in it had something to do with it....I dont know what my problem with peppermint is but I had a reaction similar with peppermint tea and I think there was peppermint in the pills. Having said that I can eat altoids and mint imperials with peppermint oil without problems. Its very strange I wish i knew what it was.

Hope I havent put you off amy.....really do your research first and get a good herbalist....its always worth a try cos I know there have been people who've had great success from them.....just wanted to share my story.

--------------------
Natalie

I love my acupuncturist! new
      #154179 - 02/25/05 01:29 PM
Angie113

Reged: 12/31/04
Loc: Alternate b/w Northern and Southern California

Hey Amy,
My acupuncturist was the only practitioner that I went to that could help me, mainly he put me on a diet very similar to Heather's. Also, I thought most of the herbs he put me on helped a lot, and the acupuncture itself always relaxes me and makes me feel better. However, I agree with Natalie that you should only go to someone that you have a referral for, since I tried going to someone else close to college, and he was awful!! He made me bleed and bruise and cry and it was extremely traumatic. That said, I think if you feel comfortable with the person, you should at least give it a try. Good luck!

--------------------
~Angela

Re: Chinese Herbalists..... new
      #154185 - 02/25/05 01:49 PM
sela

Reged: 10/10/03

Amy, I love my chinese herbalist. She really worked with me and my specific symptoms. She didn't do any weird tests and she alway followed up to see how the presecribed remedies were working for me. It took some time, (I had regular visits with her for a year or more) but I finally narrowed it down to which ones were really working. Ask questions!! You should know what each supplement is for. Ask around - using reliable sources, of course. I'm sure someone you know knows a good chinese herbalist. If you find one that also does accupunture, this is a real plus.

I wish you well, Amy. Hope to hear about your progoress.

Sela

Thanks guys. Natalie I'm not so sure now! new
      #154271 - 02/25/05 05:04 PM
doubletrouble

Wow. How awful. That was one of the things I was a bit concerned about. My tummy acts up on all sorts of weird stuff. Pharmaceutical medicines that make people constipated have a tendancy to give me D etc. It's awful. Maybe I should try the naturopath first. She said she has IBS and drinks this powder every day which apparantly replaces a whole lot of things that IBS people are lacking and she hasn't had an attack for 5 years.

--------------------
Amy

Oh I hope its not me thats put you off.... new
      #154274 - 02/25/05 05:20 PM
Natalie1985

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

Im exactly the same as you though and I Always seem to have reactions to weird stuff that no one else does.....I thought Id atleast give you my story before hand.....you neva know with these things until you try.....I know I was so desperate at the time that I would of tried anything and despite the fact that I had such a bad experience atleast I can say I tried it and it never worked....maybe seeing a naturopath would be good....also if you're like me and have bad reactions you could mention that and see if they could sort of test you with just a little first to see how you go or do an allergy test or something....basically without jumping in at the deep end and making things worse you could see how your body reacts to a tiny amount??? I dont know....its such a hard one cos we're all soo different.....damn this crappy illness!!!!

--------------------
Natalie

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7167 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 728

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review