All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
types of fish?
      #153317 - 02/23/05 01:49 PM
AllieGator

Reged: 01/24/04
Loc: Rockland County, NY

i was wondering what types of fish is ok to eaT? my stomach is VERY sensative, my doctor's only explanation is i have a "very bad case of ibs"

with that said... i do ok with shrimp- but im getting tired of eating it...i read flounder, cod, and tilipa has very little fat (even the tiniest amount of oil gets me sick so no fatty fish)- does anyone eat these kinds of fish? i dont mind eating them plain, i just want to know if they are ok.

and is canned tuna ok? i bought organic chunk light but im afraid to try it when im at school... what fish does everyone eat? is there a differnce between different kinds of canned tuna? (chunk, chunk lite, albacore, etc?)
im going grocery shopping this weekend so any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

--------------------
If you can do nothing else...smile

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Mmm, tilapia new
      #153351 - 02/23/05 02:18 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I like tilapia... very light, very mild. I find I do fine with any white fish - cod, polluck, tilapia (I can't remember the others right now). I'm fine with canned tuna, too, and canned crabmeat, which is a nice change in casseroles. For the most part, I stay away from the fattier fish like salmon; I can eat it, but I tend to overdo it when I do, and I'm like you - really sensitive to the fats.

Oh yeah, and for the tuna, I can eat any variety... just be sure to buy the stuff packed in water! The oil-packed is a killer.

My favorite "plain" way to eat them, by the way, is baked with lemon juice, garlic powder, and dill sprinkled over top... so simple, but really good. That's what I'm having for dinner tonight, actually.

Re: types of fish? new
      #153376 - 02/23/05 04:00 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

If you are that sensitive to fats then I would avoid salmon and tuna for now and maybe mahi mahi and trout too as they are sort of pink. Any white fleshed fish would be fine ; they all have very little to no fat. Halibut is my favorite and walleye and tilapia are good too. I am not sure but catfish also seems to have some natural oils maybe avoid that one as well. As for nonfish seafood, they should all be fine as they have very little to no fat too, like crab, lobster, shrimp and scallops. There should be some fish recipes on the recipe board to look over. Good luck!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Mmm, tilapia new
      #153463 - 02/23/05 08:11 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Tilapia and haddock are favorites of mine!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

try the George Forman grill new
      #153879 - 02/24/05 10:52 PM
Evan

Reged: 04/03/04

I just started using thsi grill fro fish...It's amazing, simple and every piece of fish tastes great- even a thin white fish like tilapia!

Evan-- about George Forman grill new
      #154039 - 02/25/05 09:33 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Evan, how long do you have to cook fish on the George Foreman? I've made chicken on it many times but haven't tried fish yet, and I lost the booklet that came with my grill!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2966 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2383

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review