All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS and diabetes
      #153096 - 02/23/05 08:20 AM
skssgowdy

Reged: 12/03/04

I was just told by my doctor that my glucose was high and I needed to watch sugars and starches. The starches are what has made the difference for me! Breads, rice, potatoes...they all have seemed to help cure my symptoms. Is there anyone out there in the same boat? My grandmother was a diabetic and I do not want to get that way if I can help it. Any help would be appreciated!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS and diabetes new
      #153107 - 02/23/05 08:40 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I am hypo, not hyperglycemic.. but balancing proteins and starches is an important part fo my maintaining both ailments despite everything going on in my life.

Good luck!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#153436 - 02/23/05 06:48 PM
AllisonL

Reged: 01/19/05
Loc: Chapel Hill, North Carolina

Hi,
Just eating carbs is not going to make you get Type 2 Diabetes. The main risk factors for developing type 2 are central obesity, BMI >25, physical inactivity, and family history in parents or sibs. The best way to prevent this since family history is important, is to keep at a healthy weight. Only 10% of people who develop Type 2 are thin. Type 1 is caused primarily by an autoimmune reaction that destroys the B islet cells of the pancreas. In this case, you would have to take insulin to live, and eating carbs now certainly would not bring it on. What was your fasting plasma glucose or oral glucose tolerance test? If it was in fact a little high, you might be on the borderline of insulin resistance, the perfect time to get it under control with exercise and healthy diet. You probably would not have to start worrying about carb units and all until much later. But getting them in the form of lower glycemic index foods like rice and more whole grains would be helpful for sustained release instead of a glucose surge after meals. (We are doing endocrinology and nutrition right now and actually Diabetes the last 2 days, so that is a little UNC Med knowledge for everyone)

#153453 - 02/23/05 07:43 PM
DanaNoel

Reged: 04/06/04
Loc: Houston, Texas

From someone who is pre-diabetic and came very close to developing full blown diabetes, I can give you some pretty good info.
Unfortunately it is hard to balance an IBS diet with a diabetic diet but it CAN be done and I will tell you how. I know that this answer is not going to be very popular on this diet but if you are pre-diabetic or have any chance of developing it (which trust me- you do not want to) you HAVE to stick with the low-glycemic carbohydrates and NO SUGARS!! I use Stevia Plus to sweeten things. It is a natural sweetener that has no effect on your glyccemic levels and it will not cause diarrhea like aspartame etc... It is completely natural. I think there was a thread about it on here somewhere. If not, your pancreas works too hard and you will end up developing diabetes (the shortened version. If I tried to expalined the details of diabetes, causes, body mechanics etc... I would be here all day - the web has TONS of info and your doc should have given you lots of info as well.). I am a pre-diabetic and before switching to low glycemic carbs, my blood sugars were way to high. Now that I am on a diabetic diet, my blood sugars are stable and I am at a very slight risk, if at all, of developing it in the future. I have about 4 members of my family who did not head this warning and they are now full blown diabetics. I see what they go through and I do NOT want to live that way. Now, I am not saying to give up carbohydrates. You HAVE to have carbs for energy, health, and stability of your IBS symptoms. Just make sure they are low glycemic. Your doctor should have given you a list. If not, there are many on the net you can look up. Just put Low glycemic carbohydrates in your search engine and it will give you a bunch of sites that will give you the glycemic indexes. 55 and below is considered low. Do you take your blood sugars to make sure you are in range? I have to do this everyday. It lets me know how much carbs I can have at each meal. If I have overdone it and my sugars are a little too high, I will lay off the carbs that meal. Oh, and also, I am one of the few who is pre-diabetic and severely UNDERweight and so is my uncle who is now insulin dependant. I can't gain weight to save my life.

Like I said, you HAVE to have carbs for stability, energy and overall health, but if you have any chance of developing diabetese, please please please stick to the low glycemic carbs. Red potatoes, parboiled rice, barley, berries, low carb pasta (R&F is a good brand), low carb tortillas, old fashioned oatmeal(not the instant kind), they even have low carb white bread out there - these are just a few some of the low glycemic carbs. I lso take 2mg of Avandia whic helps to lower my blood sugars and allow me to eat more carbs. Olive oil also helps to lower blood sugars, so cooking with Olive Oil is a good thing. Just not too much as it will cause IBS symptoms due to the fat content.

Also, fiber lowers the glycemic values of food. You will notice that a lot of the low carb pastas etc... are low carb because they add fiber. This slows down the effects of how the carbohydrates are processed - so take your SFS at every meal if you are able to or whenever you are able to. It's of course good for the bowels AND your sugar levels. Also, regular exercise helps with how your body processes carbohydrates. There is a wealth of info on the net about diet, exercise and diabetes.

From someone who has extensive knowledge on the subject, please take this seriously. Diabetes is NOTHING to play around with and it needs to be taken seriously. Diet and exercise are they key to keeping it at bay.

As far as the member who is hyperglycemic (having high blood sugars), I would love to have that type as you are able to eat higher glycemic carbs to keep your sugars stable. That would be so much nicer to have (not that it's nice to have it at all). I would Looooove to be able to eat more carbs. Oh well. I can only live with the body that God gave me and work on keeping it healthy.

I wish you all of the luck in the world at keeping this at buy.

Dana

--------------------
Dana

Re: IBS and diabetes, this is important new
      #153831 - 02/24/05 06:57 PM
AllisonL

I am sorry, but there is no physiology to suggest that eating carbs causes the pancreas to "wear out" earlier, in either type 1 or type 2.

Limiting carbs might help ONLY if the person has some degree of obesity, and thus limiting carbs might limit caloric intake, and help promote wt loss, which might decrease insulin resistance.
However, as far as carbohydrates provoking "glucose-toxicity" and pancreatic beta cell "burn-out" (or whatever you want to call it), I think there is little evidence that in the non-diabetic state that carbohydrate intake is detrimental.

Efforts to identify individuals at high risk for developing type I diabetes have thus far, proven disappointing, in terms of altering the progression to insulitis and autoimmune pancreatic beta cell destruction. Intensive diet, insulin treatment (before the onset of diabetes), and I think, even immunosuppressants, have not influenced the progression of this process, once various immunologic markers appear.

#153865 - 02/24/05 09:48 PM
DanaNoel

Huh?

No, I'm just kidding. Seriously though, the scientific terms are a bit over my head. I am only going by what my endocrinologist/gastroenterologist (he is an expert in the study of both fields)has drilled into my head. There is still so much about it that I don't understand as there is a lot to it. Like I said, I only know what my doctor has told me and what all of my families doctors have told them. I know that there is a thread on this board and also a section on this website (i think it is under the most frequently asked questions part of the site) that talks about it.

I don't know who is right ot=r wrong. You sound much more knowledgable about it than I do. ALl I can do is go by the suggestions tht my doctor has, well, ordered and take the approriate medications. My way of thinking is that I would rather be safe than sorry and the low glycemic carbs are working for me - they are keeping me stable and keeping my blood sugar down. If I cheat and have too many carbs or high gycemic ones, my blood sugars go way up. I guess everyone is different though and you have to find whatever works for you and your body.

Most days, I wish I could just have a full body tranplant. I mean, to get hit with IBS AND Diabetes. Geez!!

Thanks for all of the input though. Actually, I'll bring it up to my doc next time I see him. Maybe there is something I am missing. He is really not that good at explaining these types of things in layman's terms and I might be missing something.

Dana

--------------------
Dana

#153891 - 02/25/05 03:42 AM
AllisonL

For you, it sounds like you already do have diabetes, or at least some degree of glucose intolerance. So, it would be right what you are doing. But I was just saying for other people who are worried about getting diabetes from eating too much starchy food, that is not really an issue. This is not what causes the pancreas to "wear out" in type 1. Type two really starts as an insensitivity to insulin, where the receptors on muscle and liver dont respond to it any more. They dont know it is out there, so the liver starts making more glucose and the muscle doesnt take it up. Either of these lead to hi blood sugar. I wasnt trying to sound overly technical, just wanted to make sure I got everything "technically" right. I asked my professor who is an MD PHD in endocrinology, and that is how he explained it.

allison- new
      #153907 - 02/25/05 04:42 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

thanks for the explanation..

and as to haivng hypoglycemia- in some ways its just as bad.. I can't have lots of raw sugar and fructose either because it causes insulin spikes that deplete my overall blood sugar levels.. I too have to watch carbs and proportions, and this diet with the increased fiber and overall way of eating has been a lifesaver.

Also- my husbands family has a history of pancreatic failure (cancer/addisons disease both run in the family) and what the people who have had the failure and wound up diabetics because of it ate before going into failure made little to no difference in their long term prognosis or how old they where when it happened. My Bro in Law started on a low carb diet 2 years before going into pancreatic failure because soemone told him that would help his overall chances of staving off diabetes- WRONG... he is a severe type 1 diabetic now.

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#154208 - 02/25/05 03:40 PM
DanaNoel

Oh yes, I have Glucose Intolerance to some degree - no diabetese just yet thank goodness. Oh no, please don't get me wrong, I don't think that this diet at all causes diabetes or Insulin Resistance, glucose Intolerance etc... I guess I must have mis-read the woman's post and it sounded like she was in the same boat as me - glucose intolerant with a high risk of developing diabetes. That is when you run into trouble with high glycemic carbs. If you have a functioning pancreas and no chance of diabetese or pre diabetes eat away by all means. I wish I could do that . I always say that when I die and meet God at the pearly gates, I want to be greeted with a big fat chocolate milkshake and french fries

Dana

--------------------
Dana

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1686 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1157

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review