All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Antidepressants....
      #152361 - 02/21/05 09:06 AM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

I am seriously considering anti-d's and would like to know which ones are IBS-safe and people's personal experiences with them. How it affected you as a person and how it affected (if at all) the IBS? I know my doctor would end up putting me on a really harsh one and send me loopy, then say something like ooh, its all in the head!! Anyway - hope to hear back from you's guys soon x

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Antidepressants.... new
      #152368 - 02/21/05 09:22 AM
Harmony

Reged: 01/08/05

I just researched this on Heathers site,,I typed in Paxil and a lot of stuff came up. In fact the one that the Dr. has now put me on is going to make my IBS worse, Paxil cr. I will not take another dose. I have had a very bad couple of days since I started it. I take a small dose of xanax and will stick with that for now until I can locate one that will help. There is a natural seritonin uptake called 5HTP that I researching. Will let you know after I go back to my dr. Lexapro, unfortuantely is good, but will create a gerd problem.

Lexapro and GERD? new
      #152372 - 02/21/05 09:29 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I am on Lexapro and never heard anything about a GERD problem. Lexapro has pretty low side effects in general. That's why my doc put me on it as I was not able to handle any AD's I tried in the past. Paxil and Remeron were the worst.

I have not noticed any GERD side effects so far. Where did you read this info?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Lexapro and GERD? new
      #152378 - 02/21/05 09:33 AM
Harmony

My Dr. when I started having reflux, she reviewed my health records from the gastro dr. And said that some will have this type of distress. It usually starts about the 3rd week in. We at first thought it was the carbs that I had increased. But that's just my experience with it.

Thanks Harmony... new
      #152379 - 02/21/05 09:36 AM
Augie

I better call my doc and ask him about this! As I do have GERD!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Thanks Harmony... new
      #152380 - 02/21/05 09:42 AM
Harmony

If you don't mind, let me know what your's recommends. I am going to have to go back and hand over the samples of paxil because Heather's site clearly says it will make matters worse. Leaves me confused, but at this point ready to go without anything. I am working with a anxiety coach and that seems to be helping more then anything. But sometimes it just doesn't seem worth this darn struggle.

Struggle indeed new
      #152389 - 02/21/05 09:59 AM
Augie

I hear you!! I know an AD would help with my depression and extreme anxiety, but the side effects are killers. I debate whether I would just be better off without dealing with them at all, just like you. Sometimes they seem like more trouble. But maybe it's just finding the one that works for you? I've tried about 5 or 6 now, and this is getting tiring and frustrating. I am either sleeping 20 hour a day and can't even stand up straight(remeron) or too nauseous to eat(effexor) or constipated (elavil and imipramine). You get the point!
I'm glad you got off the paxil ASAP because the longer you are on that one, the harder it is to come off. I've read alot on this board about nightmares coming off that one! I took it for less than a week and gave up. Good decision on my part I think!

Let me know what you decide to do. Have you considered just taking just something for the anxiety? I take klonopin for anxiety, but it isn't enough I don't think. That's why the doc prescribed the lexapro, because that is suppose to be good for generalized anxiety. I know it has helped Casey tremendously, as well as two people I know from my last job. I was hoping it would be my answer too.

Did you actually try that drug? Sounds like you did? So what's next for you? Or are going to wait to talk with your doc?

My doc says he has good results with Prozac Weekly for folks with IBS. Low GI side effect possibilities and overall good results. It's my next option. You only take it once a week.

--------------------
~ Beth

Thanks guys... new
      #152420 - 02/21/05 11:16 AM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

Just read through your posts and they are very helpful indeed! I have written down the names of them all and also their possible side effects! Much apprecated - now all I've got to do is pluck up the courage!!

Re: Struggle indeed new
      #152422 - 02/21/05 11:20 AM
Harmony

I am sad that you have had to try so many others, I am on the same cycle right now. Remeron almost killed me, and the lexapro, which I had great hopes in kinda kicked up the gerd. But You may do well on it...so don't give up and just take the gerd meds. The ibs seems to be our major battle...:( I am just taking .25 of xanax...it helps. Have you taken yours for an ibs attack?

Re: Thanks guys... new
      #152425 - 02/21/05 11:22 AM
Harmony

Good luck hon...taking that step is 80% of getting there. I have a fear of foods and meds so it's a major step everytime I let my drs put me on stuff...but I bet you will do just fine.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3305 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1585

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review