All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
upper abdominal pain
      #152174 - 02/20/05 01:35 PM
twns

Reged: 06/16/04

does anyone else get this? Sometimes I get horrible upper abdominal pain, like right where my rib cage separates. It's the same pain I got before I had my gallbladder taken out, but I still get it sometimes. It's awful pain, I can't breathe or anything. It only happens late at night and can last up to a few hours. I have gone to the emergency room a couple times for it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: upper abdominal pain new
      #152235 - 02/20/05 05:40 PM
RobinV

Reged: 01/08/05
Loc: wayne,pa

twns,
I do get that awful pain on my right side right under the ribcage. We never found out what it was. My doctor wanted me to get a scan of the gallblader but I didnt. It is better now. It only seems to act up if I am really backed up with C.

It sounds like reflux... new
      #152281 - 02/21/05 12:11 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...especially if it gets worse when you're lying down. Talk to your doc...there are some great meds for controlling GERDs.

Re: It sounds like reflux... new
      #152345 - 02/21/05 08:44 AM
RobinV

Reged: 01/08/05
Loc: wayne,pa

I do take nexum and the pain is pretty much gone except when I overeat. I also have a hiatius hernia.

#152731 - 02/22/05 07:38 AM
twns

Reged: 06/16/04

I've been taking prilasec for about 2 years, but every once in a while I still get those pains:(

It happens... new
      #152733 - 02/22/05 07:48 AM
Linz

...no remedies are perfect. You can limit the occurences by avoiding acidic and spicy foods, never eating or drinking fast, never eating too big meals and avoiding cold foods/drinks. I just keep some Zantac handy, personally!

#152736 - 02/22/05 07:53 AM
DeeSingleton

Reged: 01/11/05
Loc: Indiana, USA

I agree with you...when I first started having pain and went to the doctor, that is where most of my pain was. My doctor suspectsed IBS but still did all the tests (including an upper GI, and I had been on Prevacid from my GP for awhile at that point), and told me he still suspected the pain was from the IBS, and immediately went off the Prevacid b/c it didn't help any anyway. I was sort of confused and asked him why the pain was there, so high up, I just imagined that it would be lower (which I get sometimes also). He told me that pain can go anyplace it wants to basically, everyone is different! I don't get that pain much anymore, just when I'm really C and gassy, or very stressed!

#158598 - 03/09/05 04:37 AM
DeeSingleton

I am planning on going to the doc for some medicines for GERD's (if that is what I have). Any suggestions for some that won't give me an attack??

Thanks.

#158608 - 03/09/05 05:03 AM
Linz

I was on lansoprazole and it was great...the proton pump inhibitors shouldn't cause an IBS attack.

#158623 - 03/09/05 06:09 AM
DeeSingleton

Is Lansoprazole in PREVACID? If so, I have a prescription of that, but haven't taken it since I was diagnosed with IBS, so I didn't knowif it was "safe".

Any suggestions on things to eat to help? I seriously have been living on white bread! I'm snacking on it in front of my students.

Thanks.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1098 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1979

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review