JaneC

Reged: 02/20/05
Loc: England

Hi,

I'm suffering pretty severely from the following icky symptoms:
*bloating/gas
*cramps
*diarrhea
*red, blistery rash (mainly on my hands and arms)
*joint/bone pain (flu-like pains)
*fatigue/brain fog which worsens after eating

I've been to my doctor several times and they do not take me seriously at all. They have given me a diagnosis of IBS, based on the fact that they have done a test for H. pylori, which was negative. I have been told to eat less red meat and consume fewer soft drinks- as I am a vegan, and told them this, I find this pretty offensive that they listen so little!

I have tried the Eating for IBS diet, but I think my symptoms did not significantly improve, and seemed to get a bit worse- I think white bread might be a trigger of symptoms for me- when I have a baguette for lunch at work I tend to get ill.

At the moment my diet is pretty much:
*no dairy products
*no meat or eggs
*no caffeine
*very small amounts of alcohol
*low fat
*I eat usually some kind of vegetable dish with either a potato, pasta or rice for supper
*I drink 2+ litres of water a day, and don't drink carbonated drinks at all
*I avoid processed foods and usually make my own
*I exercise every day.
*I don't smoke
*I sleep well
*the main bread I eat is pittas

Also, I am a bit underweight (I'm happy with this, but it could be a symptom)- I'm about 115 pounds at 5'10.

I feel like I'm at my wits' end as I have what seems like a perfect diet and lifestyle, but am still hit with these hideous pains and fatigue. My doctor just said 'for most patients a diagnosis of IBS makes their symptoms disappear, because they're relieved there is nothing wrong with them', which seems very cavalier and useless.

Sorry for the long post- I'm just trying not to leave anything out, in case anyone had some advice.

Jane

--------------------
"This is truly the age of bacteria: as it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be."

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: New, with questions new
      #152063 - 02/20/05 04:31 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

go find another doctor.. that may be IBS and something else but thats now how to diagnose IBS.. IBS is done AFTER ruling out other things and your symptoms don't even match IBS directly! *HUG* good luck! that could be celiacs or a # of other issues...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

I agree... new
      #152072 - 02/20/05 05:10 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03

...you NEED to get a second opinion. Even if you do have IBS, that's obviously not all you have!

Re: I agree with Linz and Khy, new
      #152092 - 02/20/05 06:24 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

You need a new doctor. The only way to get a true IBS diagnosis is by doing a colonoscopy. That MUST be done to rule out crohns and colitis. Also, IBS symptoms can mimic a lot of other problems, which need to be ruled out.
As for a gluten test as well. You may have a gluten intolerance or other food allergies as well.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: I agree... new
      #152105 - 02/20/05 07:03 AM
abby82

Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: Nevada

I would ask your doctor about getting tested for Celiac/gluten intolerance. Your symptoms sound a lot like it especially because of the red rash. A lot of people that are gluten intolerant get skin conditions - Ive been reading a lot about it lately and Im just starting a Gluten Free diet. Its VERY hard but Im hoping it works!

#153105 - 02/23/05 08:39 AM
JaneC

Reged: 02/20/05

I asked about being tested for Coeliac Disease, but my doctor said I couldn't have it because I am not losing weight (I eat tonnes and don't gain, so I think that might be a similar thing), and that it is a life-threatening, serious disease, whereas my symptoms are trivial (they're not!). I am hoping for a referral to a GI, but the NHS is so slow that could well be in 6 months or a year, and I can't afford private care (I'm in England). I've started trying a gluten-free diet, but I guess that's a bad idea because then if I do get tested I won't know whether I had it or not, 'cos I wouldn't be producing antibodies.

Thanks for your replies, though!

--------------------
"This is truly the age of bacteria: as it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be."

Actually... new
      #153157 - 02/23/05 10:06 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03

...a withdrawal diet is as good a test as you can get! Cut out gluten COMPLETELY (if you cheat you'll have to start again!) for a month...see if your symptoms improve...then introduce it again...and if your symptoms improved and then got significantly worse with the reintroduction, it's likely you're gluten intolerant!

Pester your doc for a referral...and don't be afraid to change doctors. I went to 4 GPs before I got taken seriously!

#158475 - 03/08/05 06:13 PM
181060kim

Reged: 03/02/05

I would be very interested to know how your gluten free diet goes. I have just commenced a gluten free diet, not sure how things will turn out, but Iam going to stick with it

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2520 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 648

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review