All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Confused?
      #151861 - 02/19/05 03:22 AM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

Do any of you other IBS sufferers sometimes have days when you feel depressed, for, what appears to be no apparent reason? Or is it just me! I kind of have a cycle I go in, I can be up one minute and down the next, for no fathomable reason whatsoever? I find it affects my tummy (have anxious pain in the top part of my tummy, where I've been clenching it) and that either my tummy is making me feel like it, OR my brain is making my tummy feel like it?? I was wondering if I am suffering with depression as I did go through a bit of a spate of it prior to finding this website, but have no reason at all to feel it?? Argh, its horrible - any pointers/suggestions would be gratefully received?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Confused? new
      #151868 - 02/19/05 05:29 AM
AngieB

Reged: 02/17/05
Loc: teesside, uk

Certainly do Nik, I wake up sometimes with that depressed feeling, knowing that all day its going to be one of them days and anyone that gets in my way will get the brunt of my grumpiness, cos I get that with it too. Being left alone is the only way I cope with it, you think it would be the other way round wouldn't you. Sorry you feel like that, but tomorrow is another day and hopefully you will feel better soon.

#151992 - 02/19/05 03:51 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I would talk to your family Doc. I think it goes both ways this brain - gut relationship. For example, I have an anxiety disorder and depression. ONce I got that treated, my IBS improved 100%. Anxiety and depression definitely affect the stomach. Also it goes the other way. Having all these horrible stomach problems can certainly depress you. Especially when it's affecting your quality of life. Talk to your Doc. Lots of people with IBS respond really well to an antidepressant. Tons of people on these boards are on an antidepessant. It can treat both- the IBS and the depression.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#152036 - 02/19/05 08:17 PM
jasperlovel

Reged: 05/21/03

nikjones i agree i do feel depressed sometimes. when my stomach acts up. jasper

--------------------
ive had ibs for 8 years now. im learning alot on this web board. thanks again everyone

Thanks... new
      #152087 - 02/20/05 06:05 AM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

I think I may need to get a different doc, mine has been on maternity leave since I developed this, and the one in her place makes me feel like a freak! The UK has a bit of a taboo about anti-d's, every one you try and talk to about them (except doctors) all breathe in sharply and say oh no don't take them, you'll get hooked! So I've kinda been scared off of them. I do think I suffer with depression for lots of reasons, mainly what I went through last year, but have also heard frightening stories about anti-d's, so am between a rock and a hard place!

Anyway - have a date with a dietitian in a couple of weeks, so hopefully that should get things moving (so to speak!!)

Thanks again x Nik x

Re: Thanks... new
      #152089 - 02/20/05 06:19 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Anti depressans get the bad rap a lot. Truth be told, very few people have the really nasty side effecs. The starting of an anti-d can be a bit rough, sometimes, until your body gets used to them but that shouldn't last longer than a week or so. Besides, if you need them, you need them. There isn't really a way to get "hooked" on anti-depressants. It's just that you need to go off them very slowly to avoid any nasty side effects. That's about it, really.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4826 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 629

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review