All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Does anyone else have trouble with coughing up mucos
      #151649 - 02/18/05 11:32 AM
Harmony

Reged: 01/08/05

After I have eaten a large amount of carbs, I seem to get extra mucos. I cough and cough and bring up what seems like a large amount for a while. It seems to then irritate my colon and I start spasming...If anyone has had this trouble I would appreciate learning why and what to do.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Does anyone else have trouble with coughing up mucos new
      #151688 - 02/18/05 12:37 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Some people who have chronic coughs have acid reflux (GERD). My pulmonologist told me this might be part of my problem - I've had a cough and wheeze for over a year. She put me on a ton of medicines including one for GERD and the cough and wheeze are almost gone. Of course, we don't know which of the meds did it.

I asked my GI guy about this and he said there's some truth to it, but it's also become a very fashionable diagnosis for people with coughs, so take it with a grain of salt.

So, my theory is that if you've really eaten a lot, you may be getting some acid reflux which may be triggering a cough. The volume of food may also be what's irritating your tummy.

I have to tell you, though, that for my whole life, even before I had IBS or any sign of GERD, there have always been times when a substantial meal would make me phlegmy. So maybe it's just one of those human things - although the tummy upset doesn't exactly fit that theory.

Sorry, this is sort of wishy-washy. Hope it helps anyhow.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#151720 - 02/18/05 01:37 PM
Harmony

i did do the aciphex for about 6 months. That was over a year ago, But what you say makes sense. I have never been a smoker, but around chemicals alot. I got this after we completely remodeled our home, we revarnished the floors and after that I have had this bad. Certain foods seem to make it worse. But I hate when my days start with it, because I know I am going to spasm. What do you eat or do to make it lessen..and thanks for sharing.

#151909 - 02/19/05 09:43 AM
Sand

You're quite welcome. I've gotten so much from the people on these boards that I'll be delighted if anything I say can make a difference for someone else.

For the past year there really hasn't been anything I could do to make the coughing worse - or better. Your situation may be similar to mine in that I started with a virus that became bronchitis, so my lungs were overly sensitive - maybe your home remodeling irritated your lungs so they are overly sensitive and something that didn't bother you before does now. (Before IBS, I figured an occasional cough after eating was just something odd my digestive tract did and never gave it a second thought. Boy, were those the good old days!)

My chronic coughing this past year never triggered an IBS attack, thank goodness, but as I said maybe something that's causing slight reflux is also triggering IBS or, perhaps, the coughing itself is triggering spasms for you. Call me crazy, but if I put pressure on my tummy after eating (like bending over to tie my shoes), my digestive system gets very unhappy with me. My stomach goes bloop-bloop-bloop like the Maxwell house percolator and my lower digestive tract gets wobbly. Maybe your coughing is pressuring your gut.

Also, if there's something in your carbs that is a trigger - maybe whole wheat or dairy - that could be the cause, too. I'm sure dairy is a trigger for phlegm, but the only place I can remember actually hearing that is on BtVS, so take that for what it's worth.

I'd suggest you talk to your doctor - she might be able to give you something to help with the coughing and that might quiet down the spasming. If the coughing is acid reflux, you probably need medication to quiet it until your lungs are recovered. If you're IBS-D, you could try Immodium when you get a coughing fit - if the coughing is causing the spasming that might interrupt the chain.

In closing, I'll just say that coughing after an occasional meal is something I've also observed in quote-normal-unquote people, so it's not just restricted to us IBSers. Maybe it's something as simple as a mild food allergy. Again, maybe your doctor knows.

HTH. Good luck.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Question for Sand....bump new
      #152053 - 02/19/05 11:36 PM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

Hello - you mention that you have Gerd, is this a long term thing? As I found that my peppermint caps were making me quite acidy, even though they aren't supposed to start working until they pass through the stomach in tact (they are enteric coated). So last Thursday I stop taking them and reduce my peppermint tea intake as well, as I know this irritates it. I got a bit gassy on Friday lunchtime, so I took one cap then and another one Sat lunchtime - but I have had the symptoms of reflux since Thursday night and I was wondering if it was going to go away, it feels really awful. I have no appetite and feel a bit sick, even when I wake up in the morning. I was wondering if you could give me a bit of advice. I am going to buy some Aloe Vera juice today with cranberry, as this soothed me last time, but no food seems to help it? Ouch. Any comments/suggestions would be gratefully accepted??

Edited by nikjones_uk (02/20/05 06:06 AM)

Re: Question for Sand....bump new
      #152088 - 02/20/05 06:07 AM
nikjones_uk

Re: Question for Sand....bump new
      #152115 - 02/20/05 07:34 AM
Sand

Sorry, here I cannot help much. GERD is only a suspicion for me - I don't have any of the classic digestive symptoms like heartburn. I'm just taking the med and doing some of the standard GERD things as far as diet is concerned. When one of my docs suspected GERD years ago, he gave me meds, I did some of the standard GERD diet things, he took me off the meds after a couple of months, and I had no further signs of it. So, is it a long-term thing? I don't know. Assuming it's what's bothering me now, for me it seems to be something that comes and goes.

I found this on the Web and it might help you:
WebMD on GERD

Also, I've seen postings from other people on this Board who definitely have GERD and seem to know how to deal with it, so it might be worth your while to start a new thread with a subject like "Feel awful - need help with GERD quick".

I know you need some relief now and I hope either the WebMD article or someone else on the Board can provide it, but long term I'd urge you to see your doctor, especially if this is a chronic or recurring problem. (I always seem to be telling people to see their doctors. I know a lot of people with IBS have bad feelings about doctors for good reason, but a decent Family Practitioner or Internist can be a great first resource for just checking stuff out to get some idea of how serious it is.)

Good luck. Hope you feel better soon.

--------------------

#152120 - 02/20/05 08:25 AM
Harmony

Thanks again. It seems to be like you suggested, just a simple twisting in getting up from the meal, or to bend over to tie my shoe. I have bronchist bad at different times, and this is one of those times too. So will just have to be more patient when eating and watch the little things until it settles down.

Thank you.... new
      #152121 - 02/20/05 08:38 AM
nikjones_uk

..for your help! Very very much appreciated. I have had a look at the link, very helpful. I think I will do a post on Gerd and see what I come back with! Thanks again....x

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3205 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 900

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review