All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS diarrhea and Hypoglycemia
      #151307 - 02/17/05 12:24 PM
Odione

Reged: 02/17/05

I suffer from IBS with diarrhea. I also suffer from hypoglycemia, AKA hypo, (not as a side effect to diabetes). I know that the basic diet for IBS is low fat, high fiber. But, the basic diet for hypo is low carb, low fiber, high protein. These diets are basically opposite from each other. I am just wondering if there is anyone else out there that suffers from both conditions. If so, how do you deal with it. What diet do you follow?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS diarrhea and Hypoglycemia new
      #151328 - 02/17/05 01:39 PM
court10

Reged: 10/06/04

Yes, I have both. It's important that you make your meals balanced, with a protein, carb and fat at each snack and meal. The glycemic index of foods like white rice is lowered when you add protein and some fat to it. Do you find that you have an ibs attack when your blood sugars get to low or when you feel hypo symptoms? I think mine are correlated.

I do fine.. just include protein with every meal.. new
      #151339 - 02/17/05 02:14 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I am actually eating more often more regularly with this diet and keeping my blood sugar more stable then I ever did before... I balance every meal with some protein (DH hates it when I put salmon or tuna in spaghetti sauce for me and he's around though), soluble fiber, and some more complex carbs.. the low fat part seems the easiest to control... but just having a balanced diet works.. and I have been able to add back in things.. and since I got my IBS-A undercontrol and stopped having D attacks I haven't noticed my blood sugar falling through the floor either.. so it could all be related.

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#153113 - 02/23/05 08:47 AM
Odione

Reged: 02/17/05

I actually find that I have IBS attacks either right after I eat (sometimes during a meal) or when I haven't eaten in a while (when I'm very hungry). It is one extreme or the other. I have been "playing with" my diet for many years now because of the hypo. The IBS is new (about 1 year). I try to eat mostly chicken, turkey, fish and cheese/dairy for protein. I eat plenty of veggies and some fruit (too much fruit causes hypo symptoms). I also eat whole grains, oats, etc. I suppose I just have to continue to modify portion sizes until I get it right. It took me a good 2 years to figure out the hypo diet, I suppose I should expect the same to incorporate the IBS diet into it.

#153169 - 02/23/05 10:17 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

the biggest help I founbd to both was removing dairy... otherwise it sounds like your already on the right track! good luck!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 8343 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 648

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review