All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
WATER
      #151284 - 02/17/05 11:35 AM
melissam

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: Scranton Pennsylvania

Hi everyone- I was going through some posts from yesterday and the day before and I came across one that mentioned something about not drinking water with meals and for 1 hour after. Is this correct and if so why?? I don't understand this theory.
THANKS IN ADVANCE for anyones input.

--------------------
Melissa
Pain predominant w/occasional C.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: WATER new
      #151293 - 02/17/05 12:05 PM
suzyq

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: Northern Ont. Canada

I remember my dr. telling me when you drink water or liquids with your meals it pushes the food through your system faster which makes you have to go and have a bm right away. I also know that when I did drink with my meal I filled up faster with liquid than I did with food! Sue

#151296 - 02/17/05 12:06 PM
Harmony

Reged: 01/08/05

Accroding to my herbalist, that if you drink water during the meal or about 1/2hour after you are washing away the digestive enzymes that were activated when you eat. That it caused some food to not process right. But if you have gerd, or other ulcers, it's sometimes necessary to drink after you eat to prevent the enzymes from burning the sores. Add a bit of lemon to the water prior to drinking sometimes helps.

#151297 - 02/17/05 12:10 PM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

That is pretty interesting stuff, and something I've heard too! After a meal Im always a bit thirsty so want to down some water - but nowadays I wait for my food to go down a bit before I do! Thanks for the advice guys...

#151301 - 02/17/05 12:14 PM
Harmony

Reged: 01/08/05

Another thing we forget, is that we shouldn't drink ice water, but ask for water without ice, Soemtimes the spasms begin right after we took that drink of water that is full of ice. The exttremes of hot and cold will start an attack. But its best to suck on a mint after a meal and wait for at least 1/2 hour. If you have had a big meal of protein it's sometimes 2 hours before it's processed in the gallbladder and on through. I always wait until I don't feel the fullness and then drink at least 10 ounces of water at room temp.

#151303 - 02/17/05 12:15 PM
melissam

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: Scranton Pennsylvania

Thanks everyone for the replies- It MAKES sense. I/m gonna give it a shot and see if it helps!

--------------------
Melissa
Pain predominant w/occasional C.

#151315 - 02/17/05 12:55 PM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

I can't handle ice cold water, when I get it from the water dispenser at work, I have to heat it up on the radiator before I drink it!! Hot I'm ok with though.

Drinking and meals new
      #151426 - 02/17/05 05:29 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I have also heard that you shouldn't drink 30 minutes before a meal, but I cannot figure out how to take my SFS before a meal because it requires a glass of water?

Any suggestions? Oh, I heard you should wait an entire hour after eating before drinking. This is my first day trying this and I am having a hard time as I am very thirsty after a meal, plus I want my fennel tea. Also this makes it more difficult to get in all the liquids I need for the day. When you can't drink 30 minutes before or one hour after eating!! There's no time to drink enough. Especially since we are suppose to eat leisurley and often!

Any suggestions on this?

Has anyone been doing this long enough to test if it makes any difference?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Drinking and meals new
      #151440 - 02/17/05 07:12 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I really think it is excessive to say not to drink at all before or after a meal! You shouldn't drink *too much* around mealtimes and you should never gulp but other than that you can and should take in some liquids with meals. If not then how could you ever eat soup? I drink water during dinner and have a cup of tea right afterward. I have found I am better with the tea than without in not getting bloated.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Harmony- on drinking and meal times new
      #151562 - 02/18/05 08:28 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

How long does your herbalist recommend waiting after a meal before drinking? Does he suggest anything about how long after drinking you should wait to eat?

Do you find any difference? Does it help to wait?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 916 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1100

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review