All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Gas-X vs. Phazyme?
      #151067 - 02/17/05 06:34 AM
sueAngell

Reged: 12/03/04

Hey, folks! I had a really bad day with the gas and bloating yesterday, and ended up taking approximately 4 Gas-X pills (well, the generic store version) and drinking 4 or 5 cups of peppermint tea throughout the day, plus one glass of ginger ale.

Does anyone have any opinion as to whether Gas-X or Phazyme or some other medication works best for gas? I sure didn't get a lot of relief, and am back on the tea and the "restricted" diet foods today. Any input you all have would be much appreciated!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Gas-X vs. Phazyme? new
      #151082 - 02/17/05 06:59 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Try fennel tea for gas and bloating, not peppermint.

The ginger ale wasn't carbonated was it? That would cause ALOT of problems.

#151115 - 02/17/05 07:30 AM
sueAngell

Hi, Linz. I CAN'T TOLERATE fennel tea. I ordered some, but it was AWFUL. It just doesn't do it for me. Yes, the ginger ale was carbonated, but believe it or not...that did soothe things down more than the tea. That's the only carbonated beverage I WILL drink, and only infrequently.

Fennel tea, etc new
      #151123 - 02/17/05 07:35 AM
Linz

Yep, it tastes pretty strong, but it's worth it. You can mix it with the peppermint to disguise the taste. Peppermint has no special gas-fighting properties.

Any carbonated drink will make gas and bloating worse. I can't have ginger, but I understand you can get ginger cordial which isn't carbonated. Either that or leave a bottle open for a few days before you drink it!

#151124 - 02/17/05 07:35 AM
Meryl36

Reged: 09/03/04
Loc: Dallas, Texas

have you tried fennel caps? I can get them at my local HFS & they seem to work better than the fennel tea. I hate the taste of that stuff also. If you can't find the caps, then try mixing the fennel tea with peppermint tea. That seems to help it go down easier.
Well, I hope by now you're feeling better.
Meryl

Re: Fennel tea, etc new
      #151125 - 02/17/05 07:37 AM
sueAngell

I should mention that my son never puts the cap back on tight, so the "pop" in our house is generally flat.

I will look up ginger cordial. I do try ginger tea for gas, too, but often have to disguise the strong taste with sugar or a bit of soy/rice milk. I don't know if that defeats the purpose of the tea.

Sugar is fine... new
      #151128 - 02/17/05 07:39 AM
Linz

...but the best tea for gas and bloating by a LONG WAY is still fennel. Try mixing it with the peppermint and then adding sugar!

Re: Sugar is fine... new
      #151138 - 02/17/05 07:53 AM
sueAngell

Thanks, Linz. And thanks Meryl. I will look for the fennel caps, but if I can't find them I will mix the two teas and add sugar. I appreciate your help. When I say I was bad yesterday...I mean I was incapacitated at work and completely useless at home. My fiance just moved in with us, and I don't think he realized how "icky" I get when my stomach acts up...you know, sort of bumming around on the couch with the heating pad wishing I didn't hurt! Well, he swears he's in it for the long haul, but I'm sure he'd appreciate the fennel advice, too.

#151265 - 02/17/05 11:06 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Phazyme works very well for me.

Barbie

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3939 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9076

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review