All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
A Hello and a request to college kids
      #150537 - 02/15/05 05:46 PM
SMHred

Reged: 02/14/05
Loc: Baltimore, MD

Hi all. I've been suffering from IBS-D for almost 2 years. I can attribute a lot of my attacks and symptoms to stress related to being a junior in college. Things have been better lately, but I've been wondering if there are other college students in my situation. One of my classes this semester is Magazine Article Writing and after I had to explain to him why I needed to use the bathroom twice in one class (It was a bad day!) my professor seemed to think that it would be a good topic to research, write an article about and possibly publish somewhere. So I need your help. If you could tell me about your experience with IBS and college I would be most appreciative. Some of the questions I have include:

* Do you think your IBS is caused by stress?
* Do your symptoms get worse around the time of midterms or finals?
* What kinds of foods can you make/eat at school? (Super easy, cheap recipes that can be made in the dorm would be a plus!)
* Have you explained your condition to roommates and friends?
* Do you ever drink alcohol or caffeine? (two popular college substances)
* How has IBS affected your social life at school?
* How has IBS affected your school work/GPA?
* Have you explained your IBS to your professors?
* Have you ever considered (or have) droppped out of school due to IBS?
* Have you used any college resources to help you with your IBS?(Student Health, Counseling Center, Disability Support Services, Yoga classes at the school gym, etc.)
* Any other anecdotes relating to college and IBS

You can post them here for the benefit of others, but I would really love if you e-mailed them to me, so I can keep track of names and colleges in order to properly quote or use your information for the article. Thank you so much for reading this long post! Any information or stories you can give me would be most helpful. ETA: This article isn't due for class until March first, so don't worry about being too late to respond until the very end of Febuary. Thanks again!

Shannon Hughes
Loyola College in MD
smhughes1@loyola.edu

Edited by SMHred (02/15/05 08:19 PM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: A Hello and a request to college kids new
      #150587 - 02/15/05 08:04 PM
Angie113

Reged: 12/31/04
Loc: Alternate b/w Northern and Southern California

Hi! This sounds like a great project, I think it's exciting that you get to study IBS and college students!! I'm a junior in college (I go to Pitzer College in Southern California) and my IBS did not really manifest itself until I got to college, so it has definitely had an influence on my health. To answer your questions:
-Yes, my IBS is definitely aggravated by stress and was caused by the stressful transition to college.
-Usually I do feel worse when I have lots of tests or papers.
-I live in an apartment, so I make whatever I want but for dorms I recommend instant oatmeal, soy/ricemilk, rice (if you have a rice cooker), soy yogurt, rice cakes, bread, crackers, if you get a crockpot you can make almost anything like veggies, chicken, or baked goods.
-My roommates know and most of my friends know about it, but they don't all know and most of them don't know the details.
-IBS has definitely affected my social life. I am more uncomfortable going out, I can't drink anymore, and I usually feel more like staying in than being social.
-I can only drink about a sip of alcohol. I can't consume anything with caffeine, except sometimes chocolate. Even green tea makes me nauseous.
-My IBS hasn't really changed my grades I don't think. I have done pretty well in college, better than high school. However, it does take time away from schoolwork sometimes.
-No, I haven't explained my IBS to my profs. I haven't really needed to, since I usually don't miss classes or get behind.
-I have considered taking time off, but more because of stress and anxiety than IBS.
-I go to regular therapy at my school counseling center which is great. The student health center is pretty bad, i usually don't go there...I have taken various phys.ed. classes, yoga, pilates, etc.

I hope this helps you, Shannon! I'll email you also. I'd be very interested to read your article when you write it. Good luck!

--------------------
~Angela

#150589 - 02/15/05 08:10 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

Hi, I am in grad school @ tufts right now, and did my undergrad at umass amherst. I've been IBS-D however since I was about 15.

* Do you think your IBS is caused by stress? No, it sometimes acts up do to stress, but definitly occurs when I am completely stress free as well.

* Do your symptoms get worse around the time of midterms or finals? A little bit, but it could be due to less sleep, and more caffeine.. in addition to stress.

* What kinds of foods can you make/eat at school? (Super easy, cheap recipes that can be made in the dorm would be a plus!) I make alot of chicken, homemade lomein, shrimp (when on sale), luna bars, pasta, soups, tuna fish.

* Have you explained your condition to roommates and friends? I have told my roomates, and most of my close friends know that I have "stomach problems"

* Do you ever drink alcohol or caffeine? (two popular college substances) yes I drink both.

* How has IBS affected your social life at school? it definitly has. I generally just pop immodium and try not to let it down. I have more however, on more than one occassion (back as an undergrad) had to run home a mile from a frat party cause I had D and the line was too long. haha..

* How has IBS affected your school work/GPA? not too bad, I can still get my work done.

* Have you explained your IBS to your professors? no

* Have you ever considered (or have) droppped out of school due to IBS? no

* Have you used any college resources to help you with your IBS?(Student Health, Counseling Center, Disability Support Services, Yoga classes at the school gym, etc.) no

--------------------

#150598 - 02/15/05 10:18 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

No, it was caused by my eating disorder.

Not that I remember.

* What kinds of foods can you make/eat at school?
I don't live at school and I never eat there, sorry!

Yes, my boyfriend and my 2 best friends(one is my roommate). I try to explain it simply cause it can get complicated, and I only mention the constipation/bloating/pain part, never that I get gas too cause I'm too embarrised lol!

Yes both. Caffeine affects me a little bit, but since starting my SFS it doesn't bother me at all. Alcohol doesn't bother me too much either, but I don't drink large amounts of it.

Since I don't live at school I'll say my social life in general, in the past it affected it more since I'd sometimes have to cancel plans due to having attacks. Now that I have my IBS under better control that doesn't happen anymore.

I've had to miss some classes from it, but I don't think it affected my school work really.

Not me personally, but I can get a doctors note for it basiclly whenever I want from my doctor. I've given that to a teacher before, I think it just says "gastrointestinal problems" on it, I just give them the note and don't say anything.

No.

* Have you used any college resources to help you with your IBS?(Student Health, Counseling Center, Disability Support Services, Yoga classes at the school gym, etc.)
No.

Not really. I guess it helps if your doctor knows about your IBS, and then if you happen to need to miss classes due to an attack, just get a note from the doctor.

--------------------
IBS-C

#150661 - 02/16/05 06:41 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

I'm a junior at Drexel U, but I've had IBS since my senior year of high school.
* Do you think your IBS is caused by stress? not caused by entirely, but it does make it worse if I'm stressed
* Do your symptoms get worse around the time of midterms or finals? it depends, finals not as much because I just have finals to worry about, so I can get plenty of rest/relaxing, midterms there's usually a lot going on with classes as well as the exams, so sometimes, but not always
* What kinds of foods can you make/eat at school? (Super easy, cheap recipes that can be made in the dorm would be a plus!) I live in an apt off campus as well, but pasta/rice is cheap and easy, bagels with peanut butter and jelly, applesauce, graham crackers, rice crackers, stuff like that.
* Have you explained your condition to roommates and friends? Yup, all my roommates know, most of my friends know, my bf knows, they may not understand all the specifics, but they know at least that I have eating restrictions because I'll get sick otherwise
* Do you ever drink alcohol or caffeine? (two popular college substances) Nope!
* How has IBS affected your social life at school? I don't go out to eat as much as some people I know, I don't go to parties really because I don't drink, but I wouldn't drink anyway, so not really
* How has IBS affected your school work/GPA? not my IBS by itself, but a combination of all my health problems (I also have asthma and migraines)
* Have you explained your IBS to your professors? A few of them, if I had to miss their class due to an attack
* Have you ever considered (or have) droppped out of school due to IBS? Nope
* Have you used any college resources to help you with your IBS?(Student Health, Counseling Center, Disability Support Services, Yoga classes at the school gym, etc.) I have gone to student health when it's really bad, ended up setting into motion finally getting all the tests to get a diagnosis (I'd been diagnosed with IBS once, but with only blood tests being run)
* Any other anecdotes relating to college and IBS Getting enough sleep, as hard as it is, is key!

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

#150928 - 02/16/05 04:43 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Hi!

Great idea. I've had IBS (D) for about two years now but 'stomach problems' all my life. I'm in second year (which I guess is 'junior' in the states, right?) at the University of Western Ontario (in London, Ontario Canada) studying English literature and cultural studies.

Quote:

* Do you think your IBS is caused by stress? Yes, definitey! (well, not intially 'caused', but if you mean attacks, pain, cramps etc, then yes!)

* Do your symptoms get worse around the time of midterms or finals? Yes, when I'm really busy my stomach goes haywire. Usually finals aren't too bad, as I think someone said, because you get all this time off to relax and just study (without having to worry about anything else). But anytime I'm really busy it's usually worse.

* What kinds of foods can you make/eat at school? (Super easy, cheap recipes that can be made in the dorm would be a plus!) I also live off campus (and always have) but when I take food to eat at school it's usually bagels, melba toast, rice cakes and rice crackers, mini applesauce cups, bannas and stuff like that for snacks, or soup in a thermos, a sandwich, leftover rice... etc....

* Have you explained your condition to roommates and friends? My roommate is also my boyfriend and he knows ALL about it. Most of my friends know about but they don't know any of the details, just 'stomach problems' which means that there are lots of things I can't eat. The guy I tutor actually also has IBS (D) so we can talk pretty openly about those sorts of things.

* Do you ever drink alcohol or caffeine? (two popular college substances) Nope. Alcohol's a tough one to give up in college because it's such an aspect of the social culture. I can't tell you how many times people I don't or barely know have asked me "why aren't you drinking?!" at parties. Sometimes I have fun coming up with elaborate and silly stories though. Drunk people believe anything, lol. I also really, really miss caffeine in pulling all-nighters (like last night! lol). I really can't do them like I could before (with caffeine)!

* How has IBS affected your social life at school? Very much so. Although I'm not a terribly social person to begin with, I'm much more reluctant to go out and actually HAVE a social life, and often I just opt to stay in. Anxiety about having an attack or cramps etc. at a party is a major deterrent (not to mention USING a bathroom at a house party or bar! eek!) Even just going out with friends, if someone mentions 'let's go get some food afterwards' or 'come over I'll make dinner' I usually make up some excuse and cancel. Sad but true.

* How has IBS affected your school work/GPA? No not really. Even lying in bed with a hot pack and getting up every five minutes to go to the bathroom I can still study, lol. Certainly more difficult sometimes though - especially balancing lots of different stuff and assignments without going insane and getting absolutely sick, but I manage.

* Have you explained your IBS to your professors? Just to one prof whose class (which is only held once a week in the evenings at the end of a particulary long day re: class-hours) I had missed quite a bit. Since I had missed so many classes I emailed her and explained (not in person!) and she was really understanding. I've never had to get a doctor's note happily, but I'm sure I could do that easily. I can only remember one class where I've had to run out (a few times, ugh that was a bad day), but the prof never said anything about it, thankfully.

* Have you ever considered (or have) droppped out of school due to IBS? No.

* Have you used any college resources to help you with your IBS?(Student Health, Counseling Center, Disability Support Services, Yoga classes at the school gym, etc.) I use Student Health but only because it's my primary doctor while I'm at school. I do yoga but not at school.

* Any other anecdotes relating to college and IBS. I think that eating at regular times, getting lots of sleep and lots of exercise, and taking supplmements religously really help my IBS - well I know, as that's how I am usually stable in the summers. All those things are really hard to fit in during the school year though. My schedule is never constant, I'm often running out of the house without bringing food (which means I either starve or buy sometime semi-safe), I'm stressed and busy lots of the time, I have little time for exercise or adequate sleep... it all adds up usually to just getting by while having pretty regular attacks, and kind of just accepting that that's the way it is. I use Immodium when I absolutely *cannot* have an attack (like a three hour exam!!) though. Not surprisingly then I guess I'm much more social in the summers, because I'm usually feeling better most of the time.

Not sure if you want Grad students... new
      #151386 - 02/17/05 03:24 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

I'm a second year PhD at UT-Austin, which means I've been a college student for eight years. Jeez.

I think it is definitely made worse by stress. Not only because of the stress itself, but the other behaviors that go with it- drinking more, sleeping less, not exercising due to lack of time, etc.

My symptoms don't really get worse. I maintain a constant extremely high stress level.

* What kinds of foods can you make/eat at school? (Super easy, cheap recipes that can be made in the dorm would be a plus!)

I used to make vegetable soup in my electric kettle with low sodium veggie broth and a tiny can of mixed veggies. It was good and safe.

Yes- I had to do this throughout college.

Yes to both. I shouldn't, but it's a major part of grad student culture and I have to get up at 5:30 in the morning. I don't binge drink like undergrads do though.

I never partied as much because the consequences would have been much worse for me. I was also careful about mealtimes and making sure I ate at regular intervals. I could never do late nights because that made my IBS upset.

Not at all. I work very very hard and maintain a 4.0 GPA.

Yes. It seems like half of our department has gastro related issues.

Nope.

Yes. I've been to Student Health at the school I did my masters at because they had a gastroenterologist. And the counseling center when I needed to learn relaxation exercises to help me with stress levels during my masters.

Sophomore year I moved out of the dorms because the cafeteria food was so bad for me it was making me constantly sick- to the point where I just stopped eating because that would be easier. I had to file a petition to move and got my counselor at the health center to write a letter explaining the necessity of me living off campus. I met with the food service people a bunch, but it just never got better. It was much better once I got off campus and had a kitchen and could make my own food.

Please read! (very helpful hints for college students) new
      #151563 - 02/18/05 08:32 AM
jules_19

Reged: 02/18/05

Hey, I'm currently in first year at McMaster University and even though my IBS-D still acts up occasionally I'm having a great experience and having lots of fun. Please read my post because I have mentioned some very helpful resources that prospective students could use when entering university/college.

* Do you think your IBS is caused by stress? Stress is definitely a big trigger for me.

* Do your symptoms get worse around the time of midterms or finals? Yes i find they do because i get nervous.

* What kinds of foods can you make/eat at school? (Super easy, cheap recipes that can be made in the dorm would be a plus!) I am in residence but i live in an apartment style residence. I REALLY suggest finding out whether the schools you are applying to have apartment style residence as i have a kitchen to make my own food in and i only share a bathroom with 1 other girl. I honestly don't know what i would eat if i had to depend on the meal plan totally. To make sure that I ended up in apartment style as EVERYONE wants this, I got a doctors note explaining my condition and i wrote a letter explaining why I require special accommodations and then I sent it in with my residence application. It really does work.

* Have you explained your condition to roommates and friends? My roomate knows my condition, not all the details, but that I have IBS. My boyfriend and my other friends here at school know that i have "stomach problems".

* Do you ever drink alcohol or caffeine? (two popular college substances) Never! Within half an hour i would probably be in the washroom with D if i even had 1 drink of either of those! It's actually not bad tho..I still go out to the bars and have fun i just don't drink and if people ask me why i don't I just say I have stomach problems and I can't. Honestly 99% of the time people accept that and we end up having a great time! Plus i don't have to suffer the horrible consequences of hangovers the next day!

* How has IBS affected your social life at school? I'm not as social as I probably would be because if i feel like my stomach is going to act up I just don't go out.

* How has IBS affected your school work/GPA? It hasn't had any affect on my school work.

* Have you explained your IBS to your professors? No but they know that I require special accommodations (see below).

* Have you ever considered (or have) droppped out of school due to IBS? No.

* Have you used any college resources to help you with your IBS?(Student Health, Counseling Center, Disability Support Services, Yoga classes at the school gym, etc.) This is another thing that I REALLY suggest students do that have IBS. I'm registered with a place called Centre for Student Development at my school. I have a counsellor there and at the beginning of every term I get letters that my profs sign allowing me to bring drinks/food into my test, i can leave for the washroom whenever i need to during the test and recently i have also started writing my tests at the Centre instead of with my class because i find its a less stressful environment and if i need to eat/drink/use the washroom it's not embarrassing doing it infront of everyone. Oh also i get an additional 20 min on every hour for my tests/exams. Really helps if I end up needing to leave for a bit to use the washroom. Please Please Please use the resources at your school, it's honestly made a WORLD of difference for me and the people are very understanding and nice.

* Any other anecdotes relating to college and IBS. Just that there are ways to deal with having IBS at college and you can and will get through it!

Julie

#152982 - 02/22/05 06:07 PM
SMHred

Reged: 02/14/05
Loc: Baltimore, MD

Thanks so much for all the info you've given; this is good stuff. If you know any other students with IBS, please refer them to this thread. And also just to let you know, I'll be e-mailing you each individually within the next week with a few follow up questions and formal permission to quote things in my article. Thanks again!

Shannon
smhughes1@loyola.edu

#153312 - 02/23/05 01:40 PM
AllieGator

Reged: 01/24/04
Loc: Rockland County, NY

im a first semester junior at SUNY Albany

Do you think your IBS is caused by stress? i recently went home this weekend bc we had break and i had such a good weekend! i ate dinner late (past 7 o clock) and stayed up late and was even around ciggarete smoke(which is killer for me) and i was ok the whole weekend. i have significantly noticed when i am less stressed, regardless of if i eat what im supposed to (which i ALWAYS do), i feel better. stress makes me sick even when i eat the things that arent supposed to get me sick.

* Do your symptoms get worse around the time of midterms or finals? twice already i have ended up in the hospital around finals time because the stress got me so sick i couldnt eat or drink without being sick all day and i fainted a few times which led me to the hospital for days at a time (last time was a whole week!) this semester however i have studied more than i ever have before and i noticed i am less stressed during test time resulting in me feeling a lot better. i may not get to go out at night, but id rather stay home and study and feel ok than go out and be sick for weeks.

* What kinds of foods can you make/eat at school? (Super easy, cheap recipes that can be made in the dorm would be a plus!) well recently, i moved into an on campus apt bc of a medical excuse that i need my own kitchen. the dining hall staff said they would accomodate for me and always screwed up the meals, using oil and butter resulting in me being sick after every meal. when i lived in the dorms i NEVER ate in the dining hall, i would go home every weekend and cook, then bring back food and keep it in the mini fridge and then re heat it. it got to be too much of a hassle with the constant travel but i had to do it. i bought a hot pot and was able to cook organic pasta in my room so that was convienent, and i kept soy milk in the fridge so i could eat rice chex-when times got desperate i was eating rice chex for every meal, also there is a bagel chain where i go to school (brueggars(not sure about the spelling), they have a website with the ingredients listed) so i know i can eat there, so i would eat plain or cinn raisin bagels as meals as well when my food supply ran low. i suggest besides getting a hot pot, buying a rice cooker, you can make rice and steam vegetables(not that i can tolerate most) and chicken or shrimp in the rice cooker as well(mine can do both, im not sure if all can). also i always kept fat free saltines in my room.

* Have you explained your condition to roommates and friends? over the years i have lost some friends bc they were sick of me cancelling plans bc i got sick. the ones i have now have stuck by me and understand, my old roomates understand but again got tired of asking me to go out and having me decline. my new roomates are the best and totally understand and know why i have special food in the fridge and that i cant have the food everyone else eats, they always ask questions but i dont mind. they are also good when im tempted with cakes or cookies ppl make, they are like " u cant eat that!" and its good to hear.

* Do you ever drink alcohol or caffeine? (two popular college substances) i do admit i miss drinking. i am 20 years old and havnt had a drink in over 2 years. i drank in highschool (like normal kids did!) and i was always getting sick- its not worth it to me to be sick for days at a time just to get drink, i have given up all sorts of drinks bc of caffiene- i only drink bottled water now.

* How has IBS affected your social life at school? i went from going out 3-4 times a week, coming home at 5-6 am to never going out at all. i do miss it too, and i miss my friends, but until i feel a lot better i just have to stay home. it has definately affected my "romantic" life or lack off, its too hard to xplain to guys why i dont drink or stay out late, why i am sick all the time and why i cant eat certain things.

* How has IBS affected your school work/GPA? i missed 3 weeks of school last semester bc i was in the hospital and i pulled a 3.6! i got lucky with VERY understanding teachers, this semester my teachers are very strict with attendance policies, so when im abset and cant xplain to them that a stomach ache really is a valid xcuse, attendence does sometimes bring down my gpa.

* Have you explained your IBS to your professors? i had to last semester bc i missed so much school. if it happens again (crossing fingers that it wont-althou it usually does)
then i will have to xplain the situation and hope they understand.

* Have you ever considered (or have) droppped out of school due to IBS? i took a semester off of school my freshman year bc i was transferring and was so sick. i regret missing that half of year or my life, but now im just working hard to graduate a semester behind everyone else. when im sick i think a lot about dropping out bc its impossible to study and go to class and have a normal life when you're sick, but i have made it this far i just want to see if i can stick it out another year and a half.

* Have you used any college resources to help you with your IBS?(Student Health, Counseling Center, Disability Support Services, Yoga classes at the school gym, etc.) i go to the gym when im feeling strong enough and i did get a medical permit last year so i can park in front of my old dorm in case i got sick and had to run upstairs. other than that i havnt really done much within the university.

stress really does make a difference. when im less stressed i feel better and it makes the days possible to stand. when im sick, college is a nightmare- im hoping soon ill just wake up one day and feel magically better- wishful thinking.

--------------------
If you can do nothing else...smile

#153397 - 02/23/05 04:41 PM
Computr821

Reged: 12/02/04
Loc: University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA/ Baltimore, MD

I'll send an e-mail to you too, I'm just don't want to post the address here. I am a freshman at the University of Pennsylvania studying engineering, and was diagnosed with IBS last November.

I don't know so much about it being the cause. Stress certainly contributes to the symptoms.

Yes. Yes, yes, yes. Intensely so. In the hours leading up to an exam I'm in the bathroom a lot. Only during the exam itself do the symptoms suspend themselves.

Some of the recipes in Heather's cookbook are pretty easy to make. I asked a similar question back in November, I can give you some of those when I e-mail you. In general, I eat a lot of bread from the dining halls.

Yeah, and they've all been really great about it. I'm Jewish, and on campus we make a lot of our own Sabbath meals instead of eating in the dining hall. Last week, my friends and I made a completely IBS-safe meal just for me. And they've all listened to me complain like crazy.

No. I used to, then a few month before the IBS diagnosis, a doctor said I had a few other problems and shouldn't have caffeine or alcohol. Which is fine, because I have a low alcohol tolerance anyway.

During attacks, I can't go out with my friends. Unfortunately, a lot of those attacks come on Saturday nights, so it really sucks. It's also restricted where my friends and I go as a group, because I always want to make sure there's a bathroom around.

So far, I don't think it's brought down my GPA or schoolwork. I've missed a lot of class time because I keep leaving to use the bathroom. But nothing else, particularly.

Only one of them in detail. This was before I recieved official accomodations from the university for the IBS.

No.

Yeah, Student Disability Services worked into my existing accomodations (I'm ADHD) the ability to leave the room for extended bathroom breaks. And I usually use an alternate location for my exams so I don't feel so self-concious if I need to leave for the bathroom.

I've got some stuff strewn about the boards, I'll see if I can track it down for the e-mail.

Avidan

--------------------
Why'd you have to go and make me so constipated?
--'Weird' Al Yankovic, "A Complicated Song"

#156079 - 03/02/05 07:20 PM
bdcanfield

Reged: 03/02/05
Loc: Carlisle, Pa USA

I am a sophomore at Mercyhurst College in Erie, PA. I was recently, yesterday in fact, diagnoised with IBS when test after test came back normal.

* Do you think your IBS is caused by stress? I don't think that it is caused by stress but is definately aggravated by stress.
* Do your symptoms get worse around the time of midterms or finals? Definately, I am on tri-semesters , so I have the stress of finals THREE TIMES. this last time I had to get incompletes and do some finals on line.
* What kinds of foods can you make/eat at school? (Super easy, cheap recipes that can be made in the dorm would be a plus!) I have an appartment and currently I am trying to figure out what I can eat and make, etc.
* Have you explained your condition to roommates and friends? A little bit, but I am on spring break now so it is kind of hard. But when I go back to school I will tell my apartment mates.
* Do you ever drink alcohol or caffeine? (two popular college substances) NO, I have cut back on caffeine, as hard as that is, with two coffee shops on campus!
* How has IBS affected your social life at school? yes, my boyfriend broke up with me, not only because of my "problems" which were not diagnosed at the time but also I was never on campus always coming home on the weekends, during the week, etc. I am trying to get back into dating but I definately think it will be hard, since I can't even invite him to get a cup of joe and talk.! I also get scared that I will get sick away from home
* How has IBS affected your school work/GPA? I had to take an incomplete in one class, but my overall performance was affected instead of getting B+'s I got B's
* Have you explained your IBS to your professors? I told them what was going on before I was diagnosed and all were extremely understanding and wished me well again.
* Have you ever considered (or have) droppped out of school due to IBS? I thought about it, but knew that I would feel worse by not doing anything, so I decided to go back and.. hey I was offered an RA position!
* Have you used any college resources to help you with your IBS?(Student Health, Counseling Center, Disability Support Services, Yoga classes at the school gym, etc.) I am going to check into the counseling center for stress mangement, etc.

--------------------
Smile and the world smiles back

#167330 - 04/05/05 03:05 PM
trapley

Reged: 03/16/05
Loc: Miami, FLorida

Hi Guys,

I am a junior at Florida International University majoring in public Administration. I was diagnosed with IBS last November. I'm glad to know I am not alone, and that other college Kids can understand what I go through. IBS is soo weird!

*My IBS tries to complicate things when I am stressed. There have been time when I am stressed and it doesn't really bother me though.

*My symptoms dont really worsen around thoses times. They worsen around my ladie times.

I have found that Oatmeal is a charm for me! Also i can tolerate sandwhiches prety well. ramen noodles do a number on me!

*I have explained my condition to people around me. For the most part they have came to undertsand because they see how I try to get through it as soon as possible so i can resume my normal activities.

*At first IBS affected my social life becuase I would be scared to go out. Now I go out when i feel good. I also have to be very particualr about where I eat and what I eat on the Menu.

*My GPA actuallyhas went up. IBS has made me stronger and I am more dertermined to excel now.

*I haven't exaplined it to my professors. I just tell them that i have stomach problems LOL.

*I use the Yoga classes offered by my school. It definately helps manage stress.

College and IBS can be done.

--------------------
Keep Smiling

#167733 - 04/06/05 05:21 PM
jrs

Reged: 03/31/03
Loc: Aberystwyth, Wales

I'm currently an undergrad Economics student at Dalhousie University in Halifax, Nova Scotia. I had previously graduated with a 3-year BA in Economics in 2000, but returned in 2004. Here are my answers:

Yes, partially -- it gets worse during stressful periods, but the primary cause is diet-related.

Yes, the stress of the tests usually makes the IBS symptoms worse.

Keep it simple - baked/microwaved chicken breast with rice and frozen veggies is the basic staple, then add various spices or substitute ingredients.

No, there are very few people I know from school who know about it. Many long term friends know though.

I drink both occasionally. The caffeine is worse than the alcohol for me.

It's difficult to make commitments that you know you can keep since you don't know how you're going to feel hour-to-hour. Makes me more shy about getting to know people.

During my first go at university, my GPA dropped over the two years I had IBS from about a 3.4 to a 2.2 because of missed classes/assignements/tests. It is only with years of experience now that I have gone back to attempt to reconstruct some sort of academic career. Since I can hadle it somewhat better, my previous term's GPA was 3.83.

Not the first time around. Now when I miss classes or have problems, I do mention it to them and all have so far been understanding.

I originally intended to do an Honours BA in Economics/Political Science, but ended up because of the IBS getting a 3-year BA in Economics only, a degree that took me four years to get because of number of classes I failed.

No.

No.

#167736 - 04/06/05 05:46 PM
Alisa

Reged: 03/20/05
Loc: Appleton, Wisconsin

Hi Shannon,

I don't know if you have all the info you need yet for your article or not, but I thought I'd send you my IBS comments as well. I am an 18 year-old freshman at Lawrence University in Appleton, Wisconsin, and I am a vocal performance major and planning on getting a second degree in either Italian or Theater. I have had chronic abdominal pain originating from food poisoning for the past four and a half years. I've been diagnosed with endometriosis, fibromyalgia, IBS-C, and possible Celiac Disease. I've experienced severe weight loss due to my IBS symptoms and increased pain after eating anything, and I have visited over 100 doctors across the country, tried countless medications, and restricted my diet to try to control my IBS.
-I think my IBS is aggrivated by stress, not caused by it. Stress makes my pain more intense and makes me feel crampy. I also get more sensitive in terms of nausea and how I tolerate foods during stressful times.

-Last term during finals week I felt just awful. I had six finals and two funerals to go to, so I wasn't doing well emotionally or physically. My symptoms tend to get worse during tense periods of time, but this isn't consistent.
-I make Thai Kitchen Rice Noodles without the oil or flavoring packets and add plain salt and pepper. I have rice cakes with jam, muffins I make from home, plain turkey, chicken, fish...my diet is extremely restricted. I stick to plain meats (not red meat), veggies (except potatoes), fruits, and rice. I avoid dairy and use soy milk (I do eat eggs, though), refined sugar, wheat/gluten, most oils (I use canola oil and eat flaxseed for my main sources of fat as other sources make my reflux and IBS worse) and foods that I am allergic to (almonds, cherries, blueberries). This is very tough being a college student, and the dining services at school have tried to be accomodating, although they do screw things up once in a while. I get scared to eat at the dining hall sometimes because I never know how things were made. Since I live a few miles away from campus, I bring homemade foods to school and keep them in my fridge/freezer.
-I usually tell people of my condition as it is such a huge part of my life. I am in constant pain, so it's not something I can easily forget about. Most people are surprised when I tell them about my IBS, but they are concerned about it and always seem very empathetic.
-Never alcohol, but I do drink diet soda occasionally.
-Very much. I am always thinking about how things affect my health. I have to reserve time to do pilates and stretching to help with the bloating and muscle pain of my IBS and fibromyalgia. I have to get at least 8 hours of sleep, so I have to make sure I go to bed relatively early. I still go out and have meals with friends, but it's hard when so many social situations center around food since that's what triggers my IBS.
-I have always maintained a high GPA and work ethic no matter how I'm feeling. If anything, IBS has caused me to work harder to forget the pain.
-Some of them. Most know about my IBS. They are very accomodating.
-I have considered it, but I think it's important to not let IBS rule my life.
-I do my pilates in my room with a videotape, and since I live so close to home, my doctor is in town. It's so wonderful having my family here to help.
-There are times when my IBS gets so bad and it's hard to see others so happy and not having to worry about what they eat. Being able to eat anything you want is such a luxury. I wish I had more people on campus to whom I could relate in terms of IBS pain and the problems we IBS sufferers experience.

I hope this information helps you! Thank you for writing this article. It's so important for people with IBS to be aware of others who understand and are going through the same things!

-Alisa

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2116 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3708

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review