All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Need Waffle house restaurant suggestions
      #150469 - 02/15/05 03:54 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I am going out to eat tomorrow for a co workers birthday and she chose a Waffle House. I must eat gluten free as well as IBS safe.

I am clueless as to what to order at a house full of waffles, pancakes, sausage and other high fat old country cooking!

Anyone with suggestions? The last time we went out together was so embarrassing for me. I am fairly new there and they must think I am nuts with my diet restrictions (no gluten, dairy, soy, fat, fried, butter, spices...) I want to not go and just eat my safe lunch, but that would be embarrassing also. I am also in the middle of a bad streak with my symptoms. I think I will end up eating and just suffering
Thanks to everyone who can help me out.I know I will be up all night stressing over this stupid lunch!!!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Need Waffle house restaurant suggestions new
      #150480 - 02/15/05 04:08 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I think sometimes the best thing you can do is minimize the damage as much as possible. I honestly can't think of a single thing that would be really safe, between the GF and IBS. But most of those places will make you an omelette with Egg Beaters or just egg whites, all you have to do is ask, and that might be your safest bet.

Good luck!

Hi Casey new
      #150494 - 02/15/05 04:20 PM
Augie

Funny running into you at a place like this! How do you make sure they don't make the eggbeater omelette with butter and milk or oil in the frying pan?

I was thinking this would be an option, but have no control over how they really prepare it!

--------------------
~ Beth

Hi Beth new
      #150502 - 02/15/05 04:28 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I know... fancy meeting you here! Haha.

Well, that depends on how pushy and vocal you feel like being. Heh. I can tell you from experience that you won't likely get an omelette prepared without oil (they rarely use butter) on the griddle, because it be basically impossible for them to do (my father used to cook for a diner, I watched him cook many an omelette!), but you can ask them not to use milk. I haven't eaten such an omelette *recently*, but I used to go out for breakfast a lot, and I'd always order an Egg Beater omelette with veggies but no cheese, and they never bothered me.

Another thought - eat some rice bread or something similar *right* before you go, so you at least have some soluble in your system, not just something bad-ish on an empty stomach.

As for a drink, go with decaf tea.

#150599 - 02/15/05 10:21 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

I don't know much about what gluten is in...but what about potatoes? Cause you could try hashbrowns or something. And I second the eggs suggestion. Can you handle fruit or melon? Cause they usually have fruit cups or melon wedges. Oh! I just thought of this, usually places like that have a lunch menu as well, could you try ordering from that part instead?

--------------------
IBS-C

Any more? new
      #150667 - 02/16/05 07:03 AM
Augie

My time is running out. We leave in 3 1/2 hours! Do you guys think I should just go with the eggbeaters cooked in oil? Yuck, oily eggs!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Any more? new
      #150763 - 02/16/05 10:28 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

I think I am too late with the suggestion but I ate an omlette at Bob Evans with eggneaters and asked that they use no milk or butter. She told me that they don't use that stuff in the omlette. So I would just ask them to do the same!

#150769 - 02/16/05 10:45 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Wow Beth. What about toast? Oatmeal? Bagels? Or a waffle with no syrup or anthing at all on it? Could you take a waiter aside an ask them what they can suggest?

Can you just choose not to go? Say that you're too broke?

#150831 - 02/16/05 01:16 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

I'm to late to make suggestions so am wondering what you ordered.
I noticed you can look at their menu on line. This is something I always check, especially if I'm going to a place that I'm unfamiliar with...it give me an idea of what to ask ahead of time, and maybe what to order.

I can do oats, so that wouldn't be a problem for me. But I have to admit I've had so many bad experiences with Egg Beaters that I don't order them out anymore..I HAVE ordered one real egg (5 g. fat) poached, and a plain baked potato and put the egg on top. Fruit if not citrus I can do a little of. But then you said you were doing lunch so hopefully you could get a grilled chicken breast or LF white fish or shellfish and rice or potatoes and over cooked veggies.
Augie, do you carry a Celiac food card? There are free ones to download on the Kinnickinnick web site.
Oh, another thing I do is carry mini rice cakes with me in my purse in case there aren't good soluble fiber food choices. I also take my SFS before eating and digestive enzymes and a probiotic with the meal.

Kandee

--------------------

Hi Kandee new
      #150862 - 02/16/05 02:36 PM
Augie

Thanks for your reply. It was too late for me, but would have helped! I ordered what was suppose to be a dry eggwhite omelette with spinach (no added milk or butter) but I know they screwed it up because it was looking pretty yellow for an egg white! Plus, there was so much grease left on my plate that I know they must have fried it in heavy duty oil!

I feel sicker than a dog right now! My tummy is not happy). I did ask to order the oatmeal first but they said it was pre-made with milk only!!! They couldn't or wouldn't do it with just water. I should have gone with plain white rice, but they said that would take 45 minutes to make special since they usually make a big batch loaded with butter for taste of course. And they didn't offer any type of potatoe besides mashed with milk or fried hash browns.

Oh well. I'll have a tummy ache for a while, but hopefully it won't linger into tomorrow too. I tend to get delayed reactions. Next time I will call ahead of time and pre order so that they can make me plain rice and a chicken breast (but they use oil for that too). No grilled, only pan fried.

Like I said, it is a old fashioned home cooking. More fat the better.

Thanks for the tips on the GF cards. I will have to get one. Do you just print it from the website itself? I can't download anything onto the company computer that would be permanent and I don't have a printer at home.

I did take an SFS before hand, but had no soluble fiber with the meal to help absorb all the grease.

My coworkers must think I'm so obsessive with food as they order anything and eat every last bite, no matter how greasy or fattening. I'm so jealous. Such is life.

--------------------
~ Beth

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 385 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2910

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review