All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Ovarian Cancer?
      #150442 - 02/15/05 02:39 PM
Meryl36

Reged: 09/03/04
Loc: Dallas, Texas

I had heard that the symptoms of IBS are very similar to that of ovarian cancer. Has anyone else heard about this? I had a colonocospy done & the doctor saw nothing wrong with me. I was wondering if now I should be checked for ovarian cancer. Am I going way over the top?
what do ya think?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Ovarian Cancer? new
      #150467 - 02/15/05 03:49 PM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

I am not sure what the symptoms of ovarian cancer are, but I do know that IBS can often be confused with endometriosis.

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

#150470 - 02/15/05 03:54 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

I had a friend who just died of ovarian cancer and honestly her symptoms seemed more like a kidney stone symptoms. When she didn't know what was wrong with her she kept asking what it felt like to have a kidney stone as her one side hurt her, her back was very sore and she just had no desire to eat. She lost a ton of weight and then she had a hysterectomy and they found the "advanced stage of ovarian cancer. Never did it seem like she was have IBS symptoms. Hope this helped.

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Re: Ovarian Cancer? You should be checked for it (more...) new
      #150478 - 02/15/05 04:07 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

If you go to the home page for Help For IBS, you will see that ovarian cancer is on the list of conditions that Heather says must be ruled out before a diagnosis of IBS can be made. I am not an expert, but as I understand it, abdominal pain, bloating, and changes in bowel habits can all be signs of ovarian cancer.

A colonscopy will NOT tell you whether you have ovarian cancer. You should talk to your gynecologist about this so she can check for ovarian cancer and rule it out. If you have had a sudden onset of IBS-like symptoms with no history of prior problems, talking to your gynecologist is even more important.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Edited by Sand (02/15/05 04:10 PM)

Always better safe than sorry new
      #150628 - 02/16/05 02:43 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

If you're concerned, get checked out by your doctors. It IS on the list of possible things that get mixed up with IBS. And do it for if no other reason than the stress of worrying will make IBS worse!

I asked my OB/GYN about it....a little graphic new
      #150659 - 02/16/05 06:21 AM
puffybelly

Reged: 02/04/05

I too had the same concerns and asked my OB/GYN about it. After the doctor puts that specula thing and takes the tissue sample he then inserts his fingers and pushes around on your tummy correct? That is when he is checking for any ovarian abnormalities.

If your OB/GYN was to detect a lump or something that might be a cyst he would tell you.

As a person who has had IBS for over 20 years, my OB is well aware of my issues and takes great pains to check things out to help me with my comfort level about IBS. Make sure and ask your OB about it...

--------------------
"puffy"

#150707 - 02/16/05 08:12 AM
Meryl36

Reged: 09/03/04
Loc: Dallas, Texas

Thanks everyone for your responses. I guess I will call my gyno & make an appt to have it checked out. I was originally diagnosed with a spastic colon years & years ago so I don't really think it's ovarian cancer but as someone said, better safe than sorry.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3052 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 727

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review