All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Imodium question
      #149727 - 02/14/05 03:44 AM
Whitey

Reged: 01/18/05
Loc: Originally from Scotland now living in United Arab Emirates

Hi all! A quick question about Imodium. If i take two capsules which is usually enogh to stop the dreaded D, how long do the effects of this last?? I seem to be better for 3 or 4 days after this but I always think it must be down to taking the Imodium. Do the effects last that long or am i having good days without realising????

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Imodium question new
      #149735 - 02/14/05 03:58 AM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

Imodium has a habit of kinda constipating me, it muddles with your body's natural rhythms, it usually takes me about a week to get back to having a BM again...

I take half an immodium... new
      #149738 - 02/14/05 04:01 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

then another half if needed because even that much will stop me up for days...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#149750 - 02/14/05 05:31 AM
CindyG.

Reged: 01/26/05
Loc: Mississippi

Hi, I take Immodium about once a week and the effects ususally last for around 2 to 3 days for me and that is with taking one pill. I struggle with D and taking Immodium helps me when I need to travel.

#149761 - 02/14/05 06:17 AM
Sandyg

Reged: 09/13/04

I wonder the same thing. For me, I think it takes about a day or so to get out of my system. I normally will go the next day even after taking 2 but it's not the normal type for me. I think you may be having some good days too. I take it normally when I am going to work (I work PT) and just the stress of getting out of the house, dropping my kids off at school and daycare is enough to get my system pumping more than I want to. It gives me peace of mind.

Sandy

can your body become dependant on immodium? new
      #149873 - 02/14/05 10:24 AM
Silver

Reged: 10/22/04

i have been going to quite a few dinners and outings so i have been taking immodiums as a preventative measure for peace of mind. i was wondering if i take it to often will it lose effectiveness? will i have to take more and more to get results? i was just wondering if this has happened to anyone.

Re: can your body become dependant on immodium? new
      #149921 - 02/14/05 12:16 PM
adobemoes

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Connecticut

I have been using Imodium for about 20 years and it still has the same effect it used to- I don't believe you can become dependent on it, but if you use it alot and then stop, it will take your body a while to get back to it's "normal" rhythms.
I still only take 1/2 or 1 tablet and it will keep me from going for at least a day to two, if not more.
I think it's a miracle drug-I use it only when I need it (after a bad bout of IBS) or for those times I have to have peace of mind.

Nope! new
      #149958 - 02/14/05 01:26 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

In fact taking it regularly as a preventative can be especially helpful with stabilising. I took it for at least 4 months and only needed more than one tablet a day for bad attacks.

Re: can your body become dependant on immodium? new
      #150036 - 02/14/05 03:10 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I take Immodium quite regularly and was worried about becoming dependant on it or it harming my body form taking too much. I discussed my concerns about this and simethicone (gas-x) with my gastro and he said if it made me feel safe I could take it everyday if I wanted to, he recommended taking it most when I am going out. So if I have plans or an important day at work I take half a tablet. I ALWAYS carry it with me.

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

#150066 - 02/14/05 04:08 PM
susieannah

Reged: 02/13/05
Loc: sussex, england

Hi dont know if this helps anyone but i've been taking imodium for 11 years but i take it in syrup form which means i can eke it out throughout the day rather than having the 1 tablet that can leave you constipated for days, i find it great as a preventative measure and i can just up the dose on bad days.

No. It doesn't lose its efficacy either!! -nt- new
      #150067 - 02/14/05 04:10 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

~nelly~

#150070 - 02/14/05 04:14 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I've been taking it for 13 years, 6-20 pills daily, with no ill effects. It's been a lifesaver, allowing me to complete school and hold dow n a full time job!! When I stop taking it (as if when I run out ) I'll go back to constant D in about 2 days.

It works great as a preventative! I take 3 when I get up in the morning, and 2 before meals. If I overeat or get an attack due to food, heat, stress or pressure on my tummy (tight jeans, ugh!) I'll take 4-6 of them to stop an attack in its tracks!

~nelly~

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2655 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2289

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review