All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
zelnorm concerns - help!
      #149537 - 02/13/05 10:01 AM
sublime420914

Reged: 02/13/05

I have been taking Zelnorm for about 8 months now. is this an usually long length of time? I have been reading on the net that is usually only precribed for 4-6 weeks. I can't really consult with my doctor on the subject because I am studying abroad until May. Also, I don't even think the zelnorm is working at all anymore, and am uncertain that I even HAVE IBS to begin with! My symptoms are constipation and bloating - I pretty much only move my bowls ever 3 days and sometimes it can be as long as 6 or 7 days. However, I don't experiance this abdominal pain that everyone is talking about. This is the first time I have ever researched IBS on the web and I'm shocked at how much my doctor didn't tell me. Should I discontinue the Zelnorm and try soluble fiber/digestive enzymes? Do I even have this disorder? Also, has anyone on Zelnorm experiance weight gain, as I have gained about 7-10 pounds since starting it although my diet/activity level has not changed at all. THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR OPINIONS AND INFORMATION!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: zelnorm concerns - help! new
      #149548 - 02/13/05 11:04 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

I tried zelnorm on 2 different occasions and both times it stopped working after a few weeks. It is so expensive and gave me headaches, so I quit it. Miralax seems a better option for me, if a prescription is needed, and of course figuring out your diet. GL!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

#149648 - 02/13/05 05:51 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Welcome Sublime. I am surprised your doctor prescribed it for such a length of time. It seems risky to do so since the studies were only done for 2-3 month increments and therefore prescribing it for many months seems like asking for a lawsuit. But since it isn't working anymore I would stop it if I was you. I can't tell you if having C but no pain at all is in line with IBS. I can say though that upping your fluid intake would be a good idea. Good luck.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#149694 - 02/13/05 08:14 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

My doctor said it was safe for long term use (both my GI and my psychiatrist who is also an internal medicine doc).

I'm not having luck with it at all after 2 1/2 months, and yes I have gained weight despite not increasing my calorie intake at all. I looked on the pamphlet for the pills and it does not list weight gain as a side effect, however. So I don't know where the weight is coming from beside the fact that I'm full of stool!!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#153047 - 02/22/05 11:18 PM
ibs4life

Reged: 02/22/05

Zelnorm actually does have a 1 year safety trial, that showed it was ok for longer than 4-6wks. I was concerned so I looked it up. Also, abdominal pain is not required for a diagnosis of ibs. most people have 2 of the symptoms. either bloating/ab pain/ with constipation and/or diarrhea

Hope that helps!

#153063 - 02/23/05 05:57 AM
DeeSingleton

Reged: 01/11/05
Loc: Indiana, USA

I've had the same experiences as others I've read with Zelnorm on this board. I have been on it several times for 6 weeks (before working with my current doctor). It worked GREAT for a few weeks, then I was right back to where I was before I started taking it. A friend whom I work with has had the same experiences. My current doctor DID prescribe it, but I told him that I had more benefits from Miralax and also Heather's Acacia. I also take a stool softener, a probiotic, and eat applesauce every day (which has always helped me). Before my grandmother dying last week, I had been pretty stable. I had an easy BM 5 days in a row which is AMAZING for me - usually I'm not going for 5 days!! Now, after the stressful event of my grandmother dying, I'm just trying to get stable again. I felt great during those 5 days and I'm looking forward to feeling that way again and gave me LOTS of encouragement! Most of the information I have gotten is from this board!!

Hope some of this helps!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6198 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3366

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review