All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Lack of Variety? A few other ?'s
      #149498 - 02/13/05 07:38 AM
caprice

Reged: 01/11/05

I'm still staying strong with not taking laxatives. The constipation and cramping is building up. I was wondering if people tend to eat the same foods because I do. Sometimes I choose foods that I know cause discomfort because I crave them. How do you say no? Do you get accustomed to a boring diet? I also eat way to much candy which contributes to my nausea. Has anyone given up all the candy and sugar and felt the differece? Its not a weight issue since I'm under and I still will eat baked goods. The candy though is so hard for me to resist.I also heard turning to a more vegetarian base diet helps digestion. Has anyone tried this with sucess? I crave chicken or fish though sometimes. I rarely eat red meat its not that appealing. Thanks for any ideas.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Willpower new
      #149522 - 02/13/05 09:20 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

First and foremost, GOOD FOR YOU for still staying strong and not taking the laxatives! That's fantastic... you can do it!!

I don't have any problems saying "no" to things that I know are GI irritating, because I'd rather go without than feel miserable. It's some dumb item of food VS. your health. It's a choice you have to make, plain and simple.

I haven't had any problems with a boring diet, either. There are a million ways to cook chicken and fish, and at least as many ways to turn pasta, rice, potatoes, and vegetables into side dishes. Eating for IBS is a great start, but really, the recipe forum and its index of recipes are even better, for a constant supply of interesting SAFE foods to make and try, everything from dinner to dessert. Sometimes I eat the same thing for days in a row, but it's by choice, because I like it so much. There's definitely no lacking in variety, except right at first, when you're re-introducing foods back into your diet. That, unfortunately, is something you just have to get through... but you'll be able to eat more variety, promise!

I can't answer your question about the candy... I definitely have not given that up. Well, I gave up chocolate, of course, and anything else that was high fat or contained dairy. But nausea was a HUGE symptom of mine, and I didn't find that safer candies like gumdrops, jelly beans, ginger chews, and licorice made any difference one way or the other, so I kept eating them and still do.

I'm not sure what stage of the diet you're at, so I'm not sure what to suggest as far as the constipation and cramping. If you've been on the "breaking the cycle" nothing-but-soluble-foods diet for more than a couple days, *definitely* start adding vegetables and fruits back in. Things that seem to be universally tolerated pretty well are canned peaches, carrots, and peas.

Hang in there... good luck and keep on staying strong!

Re: Lack of Variety? A few other ?'s new
      #149535 - 02/13/05 09:49 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi Caprice,

I don't have a problem with "C" so I can't really help you too much with that. It is a good thing that you are staying away from laxatives, though.

I have found that if I know something will bother my stomach I stay far away from it, no matter how much I might crave it. I'm just so glad when my tummy feels good that I don't want to do anything to ruin it.

I have found that keeping a food diary helps me. I start out with safe foods (rice, potatoes, pasta, chicken) and then slowly introduce other foods. If something bothers your tummy then you know what it is. I have a hard time with veggies & fruits. I can tolerate cooked carrots and lettuce & tomato salad. I have also found that overeating is not good for the tummy either.

I never get bored with what I eat as long as my tummy feels good. For instance, I can tolerate peanut butter and I have peanut butter on a toasted waffle quite often and still am not tired of it. Also, I eat oatmeal every morning for breakfast and I'm still not bored with it.

Also, I have found that I can tolerate some things in small amounts. For instance I love Snickers bars but I couldn't tolerate a whole bar. But, I can eat one of the little fun size bars. So I can still enjoy it.
I guess each person has a different tolerance and different triggers. You will just need to find the right diet for you.

Good luck
Barbie

--------------------

#149930 - 02/14/05 12:29 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Hi there! I am on day 6 no sugar and I TOTALY feel the difference! Do you like soup? There are tons of things you can do with soup for some variety. I am doing things with a lot of support...AND I just got so sick and tired of being sick abd tired I decided I would get rid of the junk in my bod no matter what! Feel free to join me in my sugar free world if you wish

As for meats...I eat fish and turkey and that's it. Other protien possibilities include tofu, egg whites, and some grains (I think barley, quinoa, and millet all have protein and they are IBS safe for me). If you can tolerate brown rice it also has protein.

You can totaly do this...and it doesn't have to be bland. You just have to want it and GO FOR IT! And we're all here to support you *hugs* If you have any questions for me...just ask *hugs*

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#149977 - 02/14/05 01:47 PM
Meryl36

Reged: 09/03/04
Loc: Dallas, Texas

Wow, no sugar..........I'm impressed! Does that also mean no honey or fruits? I just started making Heather's honey glazed chex mix & I'm addicted to it. Would I have to give that up also?

Re: Life without chocolate eek!!! new
      #150005 - 02/14/05 02:36 PM
Niki J

Reged: 07/20/04
Loc: UK

Hi
I think I will have to give up chocolate I really don't want to as I love it. Trouble with me is I cant just eat a small amount I end up eating the lot
Everytime I eat it I feel ill so I am thinking giving it up is a good idea.
Anyone know any safe sweets to have instead or should I just quit them altogether?? Maybe it would be a good idea lol!
Thanks
Niki
xxx

To clarify about sugar...
      #150009 - 02/14/05 02:44 PM
Snow for Sarala

The IBS Diet does not say you need to give up sugar!

I personally have given up sugar and I am SO thankful that I did! I feel SO much better in every area of my life!

That being said...you don't have to do anything.

I have given up any kind of sugar...and also all artificial sweetners. The only sugar I get is from fruit and the almond milk I drink has some organic evaporated cane juice. But it's not much to speak of and I only have about one half cup a day!

If you're interested in giving up sugar, I say go for it! It has certainly improved my quality of life!

And if you want support along the way...I'm here for ya! *hugs* Good luck whatever you decide...and most importantly...feel good

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Life without chocolate eek!!!
      #150011 - 02/14/05 02:47 PM
Snow for Sarala

Hi there! I personally drink tea or eat fruit when I have a sugar craving. I just love Celestial Seasonings blueberry tea...it definately gives me my fill of sweet tasting stuff...with tons of antioxidants to boot! There are just so many yummy teas out there! So even if you can't have a ton of fruit...you can try teas if you like. There's also a yummy recipe on the recipe index for baked apples. Try that for dessert when you really want somehting sweet...it's delicious!

Good luck!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Life without chocolate eek!!!
      #150012 - 02/14/05 02:48 PM
Snow for Sarala

Hi there! I personally drink tea or eat fruit when I have a sugar craving. I just love Celestial Seasonings blueberry tea...it definately gives me my fill of sweet tasting stuff...with tons of antioxidants to boot! There are just so many yummy teas out there! So even if you can't have a ton of fruit...you can try teas if you like. There's also a yummy recipe on the recipe index for baked apples. Try that for dessert when you really want somehting sweet...it's delicious!

You'll make the right decision...only you can decide if you should give sweets up altogether or not! Good luck! *hugs*

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

life with some chocolate
      #150015 - 02/14/05 02:51 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Making cookies, brownies and cakes is great for chocolate cravings and also my new favorite chocolate sorbet! It is delicious and has a strong choc flavor. Also chocolate luna bars are okay too. Milk choc and white choc are my favorites but I just think of how much my tummy will hurt if I eat them- as even a handful of dairy free chips will bother. I had a bite of quality milk chocolate recently and could almost not stop! fortunately it was my husband's and he wouldn't give up anymore. I would have a problem though if I saw it while working or something.
junior mint brownies
chocolate icebox cookies
Also Heather's cakes and brownies- do a search

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1748 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5807

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review