All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Constantly feel digestive system
      #149315 - 02/12/05 03:11 PM
mistyt

Reged: 02/12/05

Hi, I'm a first time poster here, I'm sorry if I'm not posting on the right board.
Whenever I eat something (anything), I feel like I can feel it throughout its whole trip through my digestive system. I especially have problems after about 2 hours (probably when its draining out of my stomach) and after about 5-6 hours (draining from my small intestines into my large intestines?). Does anyone else experience this?
I have a history of eating disordered behavior, including things like laxative abuse (using food products), eating huge amounts or low calorie foods, anorexic behavior, etc.
I am certain this must be the cause of my problems.
In any case, it seems like there is not a single moment when I don't feel my digestion.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Constantly feel digestive system new
      #149353 - 02/12/05 05:02 PM
jessica28

Reged: 08/10/04
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

I hear you. I always feel full and bloated for hours after I eat...not normal at all. I have a past of an eating disorder as well, which ended about 5 years ago and I haven't digested normally since. I took laxatives for quite awhile too. I rarely take them now, but I still can't go normal. I think my past may be the causing factor of how I am today as well. Do you still have an eating disorder? If not, how long have you been recovered from it? Are you eating very much right now? Are you having any bowel movements on your own?

Jessica

#149361 - 02/12/05 05:20 PM
mistyt

Hi Jessica,

Yes, I still have disordered eating, but I would say it's much closer to normal now. I'm in a phase right now where I am gaining weight, so that's probably not helping either. How did you manage to get off laxatives? I do have bowel movements on my own, but I often feel like I am just eating so that I can have a movement. Does that make any sense? I do often think I just eat to stimulate my digestive system to move. Otherwise it would just sit there doing nothing and I would feel horrible.
I also often wonder if there is any hope of ever NOT thinking about digestion all the time.

Terry

#149489 - 02/13/05 06:13 AM
jessica28

Reged: 08/10/04
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Well, technically I'm just off the "harsh" laxatives. I take prescription Miralax now, which is really safe, but doesn't give me the desired result I look for. I'm just sticking to that and fiber and just being thankful for anything that comes out! I don't go normally though, which I'm still trying to work on that. I obsess about digestion all the time. If I go out to eat with someone and know we are going to be doing something afterwards I will obsess ahead of time about how full I'll be, etc. It sucks. At least now I'm obsessing about that rather than calories or gaining weight. I'm glad to hear you are gaining some weight though. I just always focused on the fact that I was getting healthy when I gained weight back to get through that part. I'm still pretty small though. I weigh 116 at 5'6. I was down to 100 pounds at one point in my life though. Hang in there....

Jessica

#149501 - 02/13/05 07:47 AM
caprice

Reged: 01/11/05

I'm right now just getting off laxatives. I'm also in recovery from anorexia and in treatment. I have ibs-c and was having a hard time going so I decided to take laxatives but then it really was screwing with my body.You just have to STOP. I did it cold turkey. I have severe constipation, cramping,bloating,etc. I'm on a high cal weight gain plan which makes this harder. I know I have to sit with the discomfort and reclaim my life. I'm just trying to develop a better plan that works for me. I'm including more healthy things in my food plan I can feel good about. Trying to focus on how destructive ed behaviors are mentally and physically. Take care and hang in there.

#149515 - 02/13/05 09:03 AM
AllisonL

Reged: 01/19/05
Loc: Chapel Hill, North Carolina

Luckily I never made it that far down that road, my sister was anorexic for about a year and so my family is overly sensitive and convinced me to go to therapy right away while I was almost at a normal weight still. I didnt really find the therapy that useful, but have gotten back to healthier eating habits through marathon training and triathlon training. But, I still feel obsessive about food and digestion. I wish that there were a few minutes out of the day that I don't think about it. I am constantly aware of any gas bubbles or bloating coming on and if I havent gone to the bathroom, I can feel a huge mass in my abdomen. How do you guys get over the constant thinking about food when we have to be so careful about what we eat? I feel like it is interfering with my school and is worse when I am sitting around studying. I feel like I still worry so much about the calories and fat and now the fiber and sugar in everything. AAAHHH!

#149570 - 02/13/05 01:15 PM
mistyt

I know what all you guys mean about constantly obsessing about food and digestion. I still worry about weight gain, fat, etc., too, but not as much as before, so I see that as an improvement. The less I weigh the more I obsess about being fat (kind of makes sense I guess). I also have circulation problems in my legs and feet and my feet/toes swell horribly sometimes. It all sucks. The bloating makes the circulation problems worse too. Oh yeah, and the knee problems from compulsive exercising (and falling and hurting my knee) -- bloating makes that worse too.

Yeah, it's like how can we ever try to forget about food and digestion when we have to eat every day? It's not like other "addictions" where you can just stop cold turkey. I find I often eat just to be able to continue working (some kind of stimulation I guess). All that eating has resulted in gum/teeth problems. Ugh. Oh well....

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1205 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1180

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review