All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Soy & Bloating
      #149217 - 02/12/05 06:33 AM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

Does anyone find that soya makes them bloat? I think I have quite a bit of it during the day in things like soya chocolate milk, soya yoghurts and luna bars - am I overdosing? I'm severely bloated today, pains in my back, the lot - and the fennel tea isn't touching it? Ow!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

its a bean... new
      #149220 - 02/12/05 06:54 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

and like other beans needs to be adapted to- there are proteins in it that can cause bloating if your body isn't used to it, so ease into it and gradually increase amounts and you should be fine...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: its a bean... new
      #149226 - 02/12/05 07:29 AM
nikjones_uk

Its bizarre because I have been drinking/eating it now for about 4 months...I have been a bit stressed the last couple of days, so maybe its just aggrevating me a bit! Thank you!

Yep you hit it on the head-- new
      #149250 - 02/12/05 08:59 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Soy makes me gassy and bloated. It's also very heavy in my stomach and I get that yucky too-full feeling from it. If I eat too much of it (like a full glass of soy choc milk) it can give me an oily discharge.

In general I avoid soy products, too much bean in my diet doesn't make sense. It's just better to avoid foods like dairy and cheese, than to look for substitutes for them. Since I eliminated dairy and dairy substitutes from my diet, I feel so much better!!

Good luck!!

~nelly~

Nelly, have you tried Rice Milk instead? new
      #149272 - 02/12/05 09:42 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

It's easier on the tummy than soy!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Yep you hit it on the head-- new
      #149275 - 02/12/05 09:58 AM
nikjones_uk

I hate that too full feeling, I get that with turkey wierdly enough! Maybe I should go easy on it then, oops, I've just eaten a soy choc pud! Its hard because I'm addicted to the chocolate puddings, chocolate milk and the yoghurts - plus the Luna Bars!! I guess thats my downfall and one of the reasons I have IBS, I have an addictive nature esp with sugary/chocolate things! I have eliminated dairy and feel much better - apart from the soy bloating eh!! haha - thanks for your response!

Re: Soy & Bloating new
      #149458 - 02/13/05 12:41 AM
jasperlovel

Reged: 05/21/03

nikjones uk. i do get bloated from soy yogurt. hope your feeling better soon. jasper

--------------------
ive had ibs for 8 years now. im learning alot on this web board. thanks again everyone

I've learned I can't do soy at all new
      #149549 - 02/13/05 11:07 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

I just think some can do it and some can't. It makes me SOO bloated and gassy, I'd call it my worst trigger to be honest. It took me a long time to figure this out because I was so convinced it should help me!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

I woke up this morning wondering the same thing! new
      #149719 - 02/13/05 10:52 PM
Taylahmai

Reged: 11/03/04
Loc: Western Australia

Hey Nik. When I saw my allergist last week he said that soy was fine for me to start eating again, which was the best news! So on the weekend I bought some yoghurt and some milk and urghhhhhhhh OMG I have the worst gas today!!!! It only just started in the last hour. I can't remember the time I had it this bad!! This is the real deal - feeling gas moving around/ terrible gas pains/ terrible bloating/ terrible gas!! AND whats worse is I'm at work, eeeeep how embarassing!! I haven't been caught yet, but am seriously thinking of going for a walk to try and work it out. Haa haa.

I don't know if its something else triggering it.... or whether its the soy. Its so bloody hard to tell! Depressing as it is, I think I'll go off the soy for a few days and see if the gas improves. And I was just getting used/ excited about the idea of having so many new foods back in my life

Hope you're feeling better.

--------------------
~ Live life, don't let life live you ~

Re: I woke up this morning wondering the same thing! new
      #149722 - 02/13/05 11:21 PM
Jennifer1946

Reged: 02/13/05
Loc: Karachi - Pakistan

Hi,
I suffered from terrible gas until I bought over the counter Eplazyme which helped my digestion. I also bought fennel seeds, roasted them and eat them a little at a time. This helped the terrible gas I was having. Hope it will help you. Jenny

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1324 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2417

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review