All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
TO KANDEE
      #148931 - 02/11/05 08:41 AM
sueAngell

Reged: 12/03/04

Hi, Kandee. I just got finished reading the thyroid thread on this site and had a few questions for you about foods to avoid. You mention, specifically, soy products, pears, peaches, and uncooked cruciferous veggies. Now, I can do without the last option, but I regularly consume soy as an alternative to lactose products. I'm also a big fan of peaches and pears. I called my doctor (endo) after reading the posts and asked him about this type of diet plan, and he said that as long as I was taking my synthroid approximately 2 hours BEFORE consuming any of these products, I would be fine.

Please note: I can't weigh hereditary problems like breast cancer or other family members with hypothyroidism into my choice of eating or not eating these products, because I am adopted. I think the most soy I consume is in my cereal, perhaps in a glass of chocolate "milk" as a treat, and in the morning star chicken patties, burgers, fake ground beef or sausage products. I don't eat straight edame or take soy supplements, but I'm still wondering if this batch of eating habits could be sabatoging my health.

There is such a fine line between cutting edge medical research and what a doctor says. How do we know how to balance it all out?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: TO KANDEE new
      #149104 - 02/11/05 05:56 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Quote:

Hi, Kandee. I just got finished reading the thyroid thread on this site and had a few questions for you about foods to avoid. You mention, specifically, soy products, pears, peaches, and uncooked cruciferous veggies. Now, I can do without the last option, but I regularly consume soy as an alternative to lactose products. I'm also a big fan of peaches and pears. I called my doctor (endo) after reading the posts and asked him about this type of diet plan, and he said that as long as I was taking my synthroid approximately 2 hours BEFORE consuming any of these products, I would be fine.

Hi Sue, I'm afraid he's confusing this with CALCIUM products, which you should consume not less than between 2-3 hrs of taking your thyroid med. That goes for ANY high calcium food, whether it be a non-dairy milk sub that is fortified with calcium or foods naturally high in calcium..like almonds, sardines, etc.

As to the peaches and pears, I've questioned this too, but it seems that if you opt for the cooked or canned versions you're safer.

And if you do like cruciferous veggies, cook the H* out of them and drain the water, or better yet choose a different veggie.

Please note: I can't weigh hereditary problems like breast cancer or other family members with hypothyroidism into my choice of eating or not eating these products, because I am adopted. I think the most soy I consume is in my cereal, perhaps in a glass of chocolate "milk" as a treat, and in the morning star chicken patties, burgers, fake ground beef or sausage products. I don't eat straight edame or take soy supplements, but I'm still wondering if this batch of eating habits could be sabatoging my health.

The choice of consuming soy as an alternative is strictly up to you, but I will say there are safer alternatives for hypothroids..that being of rice or nut, or turkey versions of beverages and meats. You may want to read this thread: web page Also go to the About.com web site and type in hypothyroidism, or get a hold of Mary Shomon's book Living Well With Hypothyoidism

There is such a fine line between cutting edge medical research and what a doctor says. How do we know how to balance it all out? Good question. Fact of the matter is most doctors don't stay up like they should on the research. Nor do they listen to their patients. When I find one of those docs who doesn't listen or take time to find out an answer to my question, or dismisses it as unimportant...I FIRE him, right then and there. My biggest problems have been with Endos. My best docs have been ones also practicing western medicine besides alternative medicine. My 2 gastros have been awesome as well. Kandee

--------------------

Re: TO KANDEE new
      #149827 - 02/14/05 08:49 AM
sueAngell

Reged: 12/03/04

Oh, WOW! There is so much to figure out an learn. I have a hard time with my thyroid med...I get up at 6 a.m., take the medicine...usually I eat breakfast at 7:30 (I hope this is okay!) and then I have to take my fiber supplement, my bc pills, and my AD at 8 a.m...before I leave for work.

Is the eating an hour and a half after the thyroid meds (not two full hours) going to mess anything else up? I have to eat before I take my antidepressants or I'm sick...but this won't be a problem if I'm able to taper them off in a month or two.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 747 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1309

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review