All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
People that are IBS-C
      #147759 - 02/08/05 11:05 AM
BetterLife

Reged: 01/30/05
Loc: CA, USA

First question is...are there anyone of you that are IBS-C that Heather's fiber did NOT work for them? I'm one of those where too much SF makes me C and my stool is turning to pebbles and not sure yet if it's Heather's fiber. And second, can you tell me your symptoms and stories and HOW you were able to beat IBS-C? I am so desperate to know what I'm doing wrong when the first time I started taking SFS without much diet change, I saw results and now, I'm back to C again when I'm taking the same or more amount of SF. I also take magnesium and tried adding more SF foods. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Please help.

--------------------
BetterLife

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: People that are IBS-C new
      #147767 - 02/08/05 11:27 AM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Remember that SFS will not work properly unless you drink LOTS of water. Drink it all day long!! The SFS NEEDS water in order to work.

Also, if you're eating too many SF foods and not getting enough insoluble fibre then that's going to make you C too. Try adding in some more insolubles (like fruits and veggies, etc.) and you'll probably see a difference.

Last but not least....make sure you're getting a little bit of exercise each day because that helps to get things moving as well. Even if it's just a short walk!!

Hope you feel better soon!!

#147769 - 02/08/05 11:30 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

The only thing that helped my IBS C was miralax. I take it everyday, along with my SFS!!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

I know how you feel-- new
      #147773 - 02/08/05 11:38 AM
bellshel32

Reged: 10/28/04
Loc: Kansas, USA

I tried two whole bags of Acacia, but was still so C. I'm now trying Benefiber, but only 1 T per day. (might increase it, don't know) Eating more fruits & veggies does seem to help me, but I still don't have the C under control unless I take medication. (And I work out vigorously 3 times per week)

I'm taking Miralax every morning before breakfast. That helps me tremendously.

I know there are lots of people on this site who are against taking medications, but I went too long in misery without medication.

Hope you come to a conclusion soon!

About Miralax... new
      #147782 - 02/08/05 11:56 AM
BetterLife

Reged: 01/30/05
Loc: CA, USA

Why do you think Heather's fiber didn't work for you? I'm afraid that it's too SFibery for me whereas Citrucel isn't...? I'm only worried about this because I've noticed that very SFibery foods like white bread and such made me C. Is this true to anyone that knows more? And about Miralax... I've tried Zelnorm and thought that it was a miracle drug at first. But then about a month into it, I noticed a slow decline in its affects. I don't want my body to be dependent on drugs. I need a natural fix!

--------------------
BetterLife

#147783 - 02/08/05 11:56 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Just to add to what everyone else said, the SFS and Acacia will not make you more constipated. It absorbs moisture and provides bulk for stools. THat keeps them soft and moving. That means it won't turn you into having rabbit nuggets for stool. As Kimm said, you need TONS of water, and insoluble veggies and fruits for it to work as well. I would try this if I were you. She gave you good advice.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: About Miralax... new
      #147867 - 02/08/05 02:43 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I'm not happy about having to take medication but I wasted too much of my life being miserable! You do not build up a tolerance to like you do Zelnorm!!!!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#148389 - 02/09/05 08:39 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

Heather's acacia gave me attacks, even in small amounts, unfortunatly. I use Metamucil, out of the ones I've tried it's the only one that works for me. I really like it though, it allows me to eat a greater variety of foods and be ok It doesn't totally help my constipation, but it helps a bit. I also take 2 Colace(store brand actually) a day, and that helps as well. I also try to get as much insoluble fiber as I safely can. I eat apples everyday and I recently noticed that they're helping me go better(the SFS helping me to digest them better). I'm wicked bad about getting enough water though. The combination of these things helps me go everyday now, though I still feel C when I go (straining/small amounts). But I used to only be able to go once a week, so hey it's an improvement!

--------------------
IBS-C

#148418 - 02/10/05 01:02 AM
caprice

Reged: 01/11/05

I know how you feel because "natural" supplements don't work for me. Neither did Zelnorm. I've done many searches on the internet too. You may have not found the right one for you. For me I haven't. I have decided today to try to follow a different diet with more fiber the ones that agree with me because some make it worse or cramping. I'm new and am "screwed" up right now so I don't want to give too much advice. Just what I've read.Take care and let me know what helped you.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 575 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1294

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review