Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Digestive enzymes
      #147573 - 02/07/05 02:26 PM
Deanna30

Reged: 12/28/04
Loc: Benton City, WA

Hi,
I was hoping for a good name brand of digestive enzymes.
Thanks,
Deanna

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Digestive enzymes new
      #147604 - 02/07/05 05:16 PM
Taylahmai

Reged: 11/03/04
Loc: Western Australia

Hi Deanna I use Orthoplex D.E.F (Digestive Enzyme Formula). I get it from my naturopath, otherwise you should be able to buy it in your local chemist or even cheaper, online at B2BWorld.

I take 3 tablets a day with each meal.

--------------------
~ Live life, don't let life live you ~

#147613 - 02/07/05 06:05 PM
BetterLife

Reged: 01/30/05
Loc: CA, USA

Taylahmai, how does the digestive enzymes help you? What does it do? Are you an IBS-C type or D? And also, do you know if you can overdose on magnesium? What's the limit? Last question. :P How did you turn to a "naturopath"?

--------------------
BetterLife

#147658 - 02/08/05 01:06 AM
Taylahmai

Hi Betterlife. Digestive enzymes help with digesting food. Those with a sensitive gut often lack the enzymes required for digesting food properly. I used to be a C but am quite regular these days which is a godsend. Using digestive enzymes for the past 7 months has helped me become stable, along with the probiotic & magnesium I take. I don't know if you can overdose on magnesium, but I know that too much magnesium can give you D. I had to cut back the amount I was taking a little while ago because I had really soft BMs. I actually take less then the recommended amount of the brand I use so I assume I'm pretty safe. Not sure what the limit of magnesium intake per day is. As for my wonderful allergist (naturopath), he advertised his allergy testing in my local health food shop so I thought I'd give him a try. Haven't looked back since

--------------------

are the enzymes working? new
      #147946 - 02/08/05 05:49 PM
Angie113

Reged: 12/31/04
Loc: Alternate b/w Northern and Southern California

Hey Taylahmai! I just started taking digestive enzymes a few days ago, and I was just wondering how long I should wait to see if they are working. I haven't felt bad at all, but I haven't felt any big change either. How long did it take them to start working for you? thanks!

--------------------
~Angela

Re: are the enzymes working? new
      #148017 - 02/09/05 12:38 AM
Taylahmai

Hi Angie. Well its a tough one. I started taking enzymes, probiotics, magnesium, revenol (a potent vitamin supplement) and glutamine all at once, so I couldn't actually say what the enzymes did. All I know is the whole combination had me having glorious BMs within a week.

Back when I first started seeing my allergist, my bloating improved dramatically, no doubt due also to how well the supplements were working.

So naturally I'm stumped as to why the bloat has been so bad lately. I would have thought I should have continued to improve and be 100% by now!! Which is why I'm beginning to wonder whether the bloat may be due to more then just digestive problems.

I would suggest giving the enzymes a couple of weeks. Perhaps someone else on the board has good reviews for enzymes taken on their own?

Sorry I can't be of more help. Good luck

--------------------

Re: Digestive enzymes (Andrew Lessman) new
      #148054 - 02/09/05 05:05 AM
angela3

Reged: 07/12/04
Loc: Texas, near Fort Worth)

I have been taking Andrew Lessman's Digest Assure, which you can buy from the Home Shopping Network or hsn.com, they are the best bang for the buck in my opinion. A bottle of 180 capsules is about $60, which may sound expensive, but compared to other brands that I have bought in Health food stores they work better and I have to take only one at a time instead of 2 or 3 so they last longer. I tried switching to something cheaper at Christmas time and was very dissappointed and ordered some of the Digest Assure right away.

Also the Digest Assure is all vegetable and fruit sources of enzymes, some of the other brands use animal products such as ox bile, which just seems gross to me.

#148057 - 02/09/05 05:42 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

I am using Futurebiotics Vegetarian enzymes right now, but just purchase some Source Natural Essential Enzymes lastnight. I have been taking them for about 3 weeks, and they make my gut a lot calmer and bm's more regular and easy to pass. I added Jarrodophilus EPS probiotic at the same time, and the combination has been great. I'm noticing more energy and better sleep too, but don't know if that is enzyme related or not.

The lady in the health-food store lastnight told me you can also take enzymes at bedtime to help other body functions besides digestion. I may try that later. Source Natural was only $19 for 120 capsules and Futurebiotics was $19 for 60. You can get a good enzyme product without spending a fortune. Enzymatic Therapy was another brand hightly recommended.

--------------------
God is Faithful!

#148177 - 02/09/05 11:18 AM
BetterLife

When do you take the enzymes? With food? With everything that we need to take with IBS, its hard to know when things are working and when to take all of them! Taylahmai, when and how do you take glutamine? I had that before.

--------------------
BetterLife

#148179 - 02/09/05 11:21 AM
BetterLife

When do you take the enzymes? With food? With everything that we need to take with IBS, its hard to know when things are working and when to take all of them! Tahlamai, when and how do you take glutamine? I had that before.

--------------------
BetterLife

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1408 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3553

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review