All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Heather's Acacia Fiber
      #147481 - 02/07/05 10:28 AM
BetterLife

Reged: 01/30/05
Loc: CA, USA

First time I've tried Heather's Fiber. I added the fiber after I poured the not-too-cold, not-too-warm water and found that it doesn't dissolve all the way. In fact, it clumps up and gets sticky. ?? Is it suppose to do that?? Is it suppose to dissolve completely?

--------------------
BetterLife

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Heather's Acacia Fiber new
      #147482 - 02/07/05 10:30 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Try stirring it with a fork or small whisk, or just letting it sit for ten minutes. I finbd it dissolves best if I put the Acacia in first, add a tiny bit of liquid, make a goo, add a bit more liquid and stir, add a bit more liquid and stir...etc!

Good luck. It does dissolve!

#147488 - 02/07/05 10:39 AM
BetterLife

So it works a lot different than other SFS. I didn't know that. So it's kinda like trying to dissolve and mix and egg cause it is like a gooey kind of substance...? What happens when you drink it before it dissolves--those gooey, floating particles?

--------------------
BetterLife

#147499 - 02/07/05 11:05 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

You know, I add the fiber first, then the kind of luke-warm,cool water...and in about 20 seconds of brisk stirring, it is disolved with only tiny "clumps" left. I just down it, swich another couple of swallows of water and drink that for good measure and I'm good to go. No taste, no funny feeling in my mouth, just the wonderful benefits of acacia! I cannot tell you what a difference it has made for me!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

#147501 - 02/07/05 11:12 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I don't like mine in water so I put it in oatmeal in the morning (or cereal) and tea in the evening. I think it dissolves better in hot liquid. Sometimes though it gets gloppy in the tea but by the time it is cool enough to drink and I have stirred it some too, it is dissolved.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#147523 - 02/07/05 12:18 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Quote:

You know, I add the fiber first, then the kind of luke-warm,cool water...and in about 20 seconds of brisk stirring, it is disolved with only tiny "clumps" left. I just down it, swich another couple of swallows of water and drink that for good measure and I'm good to go. No taste, no funny feeling in my mouth, just the wonderful benefits of acacia! I cannot tell you what a difference it has made for me! I agree..it's great stuff, isn't it?
I suppose I never thought about any goo. I just stir briskly into tepid water and drink it. No bad taste, in fact, no taste at all. I ALWAYS add acacia to my smoothies and lately have been putting it in all baked goodies, adding it into the dry ingredients before adding the wet ones. Kandee

--------------------

Bamagirl... new
      #147572 - 02/07/05 02:25 PM
BetterLife

Are you an IBS-D or C? I'm an IBS-C and wondered how you took yours to benefit you so much.

--------------------
BetterLife

Edited by BetterLife (02/07/05 05:13 PM)

I can't drink it new
      #147578 - 02/07/05 03:17 PM
CindyC

Reged: 09/30/04
Loc: Ohio, USA

I have tried dissolving it in liquids but if I see anything floating around I just can't drink it. I can't wait for the tablets to come out!!!!

So I either put it into my hot cereal (I add it to the dry cereal and then add the liquid and nuke it), applesauce, baked goods, gravies, etc.

I wish I could just put it into lukewarm water and down it, but I can't. I do think it is a great product and I try to put it into as many things as I can. I know if it was in tablet form I could get it into me on a more consistant basis.
Cindy

#147591 - 02/07/05 04:19 PM
Digby

Reged: 07/31/04

Someone on this site suggested adding Acacia to bottled water and taking it with you. I do that for my noon dose and drink it over time. It definitely dissolves after being in the water for awhile. The good thing about the bottle is that you can shake it up real good. And you can take it with you and no one knows you're drinking fiber.

I take my morning dose with water and some rice protein powder, so it's like a shake. Yeah, sometimes there's goop in the bottom but I just add water and swish ir around or rinse it out.

#147691 - 02/08/05 06:28 AM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

If you mix it around and give it a few minutes then it will disolve!!

I see your other post...but I'm "C" and will answer here for now.... new
      #147776 - 02/08/05 11:45 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

I was IBS-D when first diagnosed some 14 years ago. However it took me almost 2 years to realize that the chronic C I was having might be linked to IBS. Well, sure enough, two doctors and scores of tests later, IBS is STILL the diagnosis! C is much harder to deal with than D ever was. You can balance SFS, water, excercise, ect...and do great, then WHAM! back to problems again for no apparent reason.

As to SFS, I started Acacia this time last year. I did 1/4t twice a day for three weeks, then went to 1/4t before each meal for a couple of weeks, then to 1/2t before each meal and so on and so on until I reached 2t before each meal. I tried to go to the full 3t (or 1T) before each meal, but my body said no. So, I backed off to 2 1/2t for a while then finally decided I was just more comfortable and "productive" at 2t before each meal. I always had some gas and bloating for a few days every time I increased dosing, but it always went away.

I added the cal/mag supplement in the 2:1 ratio about 2 months after the acacia, and added digestive enzymes and probiotics only 3 weeks ago. I am still not free of all symptoms, but I am more comfortable and eating a wider variety of foods than in a long while. C is just the pits. No two ways about it.

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Bamagirl... new
      #147796 - 02/08/05 12:17 PM
BetterLife

Did you try other SFS before Acacia Fiber? If so, how were they different for you? And are digestive enzymes and probiotics really helpful for C? Did you notice a big difference? If so, any suggestions to brands and where to find them? You said that you can do great, and then "wham", get back into C again. How are you dealing with it now and do you see a pattern?

--------------------
BetterLife

Kandee new
      #147798 - 02/08/05 12:19 PM
BetterLife

Were you an IBS-D or C?

--------------------
BetterLife

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3252 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1365

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review