All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
flatulence.....ugh
      #147462 - 02/07/05 10:02 AM
sybd

Reged: 02/07/05

There are times I have such extreme flatulence and can be very embarrassing when out of control. I suspect it may have to do with certain foods and (powder/add water) vitamin supplement I take for fibromyalgia, which has small amts. of whey, lactose, and magnesium. Seems this Fibromyalgia and IBS go hand in hand. The nutritional program I am on has been helping w/ the fibro but not the IBS.
Any suggestions out there?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: flatulence.....ugh new
      #147466 - 02/07/05 10:07 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I find that my IBS makes my Fibro worse, so to make the Fibro better, I am best off concentrating, diet-wise, on my IBS. Did that make sense? Btw, Fennel helps with gas.

Try finding a vit supplement without the dairy...it certainly won't help! But the magnesium is pretty neccessary for Fibro. I take a magnesium/manganese/malic acid mix that seems to help quite a bit.

And yes, the fibro and IBS go hand in hand...pretty much everyone with Fibro will develop IBS. The national Fibro association here did a survey and 100% of people who responded said they had IBS too. Great, huh?

#148981 - 02/11/05 12:13 PM
sybd

Thanks Linz....sorry to hear you have fibro too. I really hate to give up this formula I am on as after 2 months it really has showed a marked improvement w/pain and overall non fatigue. I sent email to this brand site and they responded to trying it at half the dosage and also might try taking a lactase pill w/ it.........so am going to try that. Also just received Heather's peppermint capsules today and am going to try them out too.
I had surgery almost a year ago for multiple prolapses and may be starting up with a rectocele now and feel the IBS has contributed to it w/ the constant going of BM and the release of gas and/or not able to release it. At times the pressure is unbearable! I did have repair of enterocele too last year (involves the small intestine) Am hoping if I can somehow alleviate this gas and slow down the BM it will help that too.

#148983 - 02/11/05 12:19 PM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

even small amounts of dairy will give me gas too. If you can avoid it - that would be nice. I was reading that those who have a lot of problems with gas may need to have more balance of the good & bad bacteria in their gut. Have you tried a probiotic?

Please try... new
      #148984 - 02/11/05 12:20 PM
Linz

...a SFS for slowing the BMs and fennel tea for relieving gas - they're both an amazing help!

#148988 - 02/11/05 12:27 PM
sybd

Yes I have started on that too, thanks.

Re: Please try... new
      #148992 - 02/11/05 12:31 PM
sybd

Have been on citrucel, but now have Heather's acacia..........did see there is some fennel in the peppermint caps too!

Good! new
      #149440 - 02/12/05 10:32 PM
Linz

Glad you're going on Acacia...it has less gassy side effects than other SFSs!

And get some fennel tea! This stuff is really fantastic. I don't like the licorice taste, so I brew mine with lavender and chamomile...yummy!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4458 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1571

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review