All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Problem - need to vent....(bit long...)
      #147344 - 02/07/05 12:46 AM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

Well its Monday morning (here in the UK) and I need to vent. Most of my weekend (apart from a bit of baking) was spent doing very little, mainly around the house, which means I have access to the fridge quite a bit. I find myself, even if I'm not hungry eating (although its IBS friendly foods) I just keep eating. I am trying to put weight back on, but it feels like a bit of an addiction and I feel nauseous, bloated, uncomfortable and angry with myself! I go to bed at night with a full tummy, and wake up in the morning with what feels like a hangover!! Even though I'm no where near bulimic or anorexic, I do feel like I have a problem? Does anyone recognise this? I don't drink, or smoke or do drugs, so have will power, but when it comes to eating, even if I'm not hungry I'll force more food down?? I'm a bit scared and need some advice? Anyone able to help?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Possibly boredom eating? new
      #147346 - 02/07/05 01:14 AM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

I do this at night time. Despite having a good dinner the girls finally go to bed, DH is all set up playing his computer games and off I head to the cupboard or the fridge. Like you I've been trying to put weight on so it's probably not a big deal at this stage for me but I worry it might become a problem later on! I can't decide if it's emotional eating (cranky that DH is on the computer instead of spending much needed time with me) or depression that I don't know I have or plain old boredom! Don't know if you're suffering from any of the above but if you are that would probably do it. It's awful isn't it? I make myself feel so violently ill sometimes and wonder why I forced down that last cracker with vegemite!

--------------------
Amy

Re: Possibly boredom eating? new
      #147347 - 02/07/05 01:20 AM
nikjones_uk

Hey that sounds familiar! I am a bit bored with my life at the moment and I live on my own so have no one disciplining me! I know things aren't 100% in my life, job etc but I'm remedying that by getting a new one (hopefully something will happen soon), I guess I'm a bit impatient! The thing that worries me the most is that I know I'm putting more strain on my digestive system, i can kinda feel it coming to a grinding halt and because I don't give it enough time to sort it self out I'm worried its going to lead to malabsorption etc? I don't want to go through GI tests, they scare me! I am putting the weight back on have put 3 lbs back on in a couple of weeks, which is good, but I don't want to feel rotten anymore....

Re: Problem - need to vent....(bit long...) new
      #147348 - 02/07/05 01:34 AM
Taylahmai

Reged: 11/03/04
Loc: Western Australia

I have a huge obsession with food!! I find myself eating and eating when I'm bored, it has nothing to do with hunger. I often overeat, get terribly bloated and wakeup with a really sore tummy. Yet while I know overeating is causing me so much torment I just can't seem to stop it.

So yep I sympathise 100 % with you!! I figure my eating is anxiety related. When I'm stressed I just eat and eat and eat and its very comforting. Until I stop and then feel sick! And often when I feel really uncomfortable, with a bloated tummy, I reason with myself that more food might make me feel better!!??

I also LOVE the taste of food. You can't keep me away from yummy foods if they're lying around (hence restraining from buying anything bad!). I think this is because my life is so restricted. I hate the fact I'm not 'allowed' to eat the foods I adore - ie chocolate!

I can't really see a way out of this one for me. I know of a few others on the board that struggle with food the same way. Perhaps its just another symptom of IBS, the one thing that should be the most natural thing in the world - eating - is made so difficult for us. So we react by doing just that - eating!!

One last thing, I do know that if I'm busy I can't be bothered with food. If I'm at home and bored or anxious, then just try and keep me away from the fridge!

Sorry I haven't helped much, but perhaps its comforting to know you're not alone and its not uncommon what you're going through?

--------------------
~ Live life, don't let life live you ~

#147349 - 02/07/05 01:40 AM
nikjones_uk

It is SO comforting to know I'm not the only one! As you say it may be a symptom of IBS, its all in my head and I know I shouldn't be shoveling more food down, because I'm not hungry, but I do! If I'm anxious I tend to stop eating, but when I'm at home alone, I just go for it! I guess I need to find myself some outdoor pursuits to keep me away from that fridge! Do you think you digest your food well, or do you feel it "grinding to a halt"?

Hamster new
      #147642 - 02/07/05 08:35 PM
Taylahmai

I definately find that if I keep myself busy at home I don't boredom eat. But once overeating becomes a habit it is sooooo hard to break! I'm right till I start eating.... then I just keep eating and eating. I just wish I could learn how to have something small and leave it at that! Thats why work is great. I can only eat what I bring!

My digestion is pretty crappy at the moment, hence constant bloating. My BMs are perfectly normal, however I often hear lots of gurgling and groaning once I've eaten (this morning I felt like I was vibrating, my tummy was making so much noise!!) and I can often feel pockets of gas moving around.

I'm really hoping that doing a liver cleanse will improve this, its my only option as nothing else seems to have worked!

--------------------

#147763 - 02/08/05 11:12 AM
BetterLife

Reged: 01/30/05
Loc: CA, USA

I have an eating problem too. I finally realized after 10 years, I feel the NEED to eat when I'm bloated and C. I think that my brain thinks that I need to eat when I feel that way so that it'll help to "push out" or it'll relieve it. I guess it sometimes worked. But I'm pretty sure that it rarely happens that way and I just end up feeling worse. I used to have an eating disorder too and I think IBS was partial cause of it. This IBS condition is so debilitating. It's awful.

--------------------
BetterLife

#147801 - 02/08/05 12:22 PM
nikjones_uk

Hiya - thanks for your post, its good to hear other people's stories, sorry to hear you had an eating disorder. People have asked me if I have one, but to my knowledge, don't think I do! I know wierd things happen in my brain and suffer with anxiety, which a lot of people don't understand, its so infuriating trying to explain to people!! Anyway, thanks again... x

Eating disorders and emotional eating new
      #147807 - 02/08/05 12:29 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Hi y'all!

If you think you might have an eating disorder (this means using food either with starvation or overeating) you can check out OA (which stands for overeaters anonymous. But there are many folkd there that are anorexic as well).

I used to be anorexic and now I'm a compuslive overeater. So if you have any questions, feel free to ask!

As far as OA goes...they have a quesitonarre about your eating habits and whether or not you have an eating disorder based on the questions asked. Check out OA.org for info or e-mail me if you like at Ruchily@yahoo.com

Hope this helps someone! It has helped me a LOT!

Love,

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Problem - need to vent.// betterlife new
      #147927 - 02/08/05 05:02 PM
taroh73

Reged: 12/28/04
Loc: chicago, il

I am exactly the same when it comes to compulsively needing to eat when I am super bloated and C... its exactly like you said, it somehow seems to "push" things out. And it temporarily makes me feel better, but then the cycle continues.

Re: Possibly boredom eating? new
      #148000 - 02/08/05 08:40 PM
jessica28

Reged: 08/10/04
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

I hear you guys...I'm always feeling bloated all the time, especially after dinner...and then still stuff my face with other snacks throughout the night. I can't remember the last time I went to bed not feeling all full and bloated. Do any of you just feel bloated and gross EVERYTIME you eat? I'm IBS-C and it sucks!!!!

Jessica

Jessica.. new
      #148010 - 02/08/05 11:20 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

I'm an A but suffer mostly from D. I don't get bloated much unless it's before my period but I get rumbly and sore from pretty much anything. Even a mug of herbal tea will give me the rumbles and pain. It sux.

--------------------
Amy

Thanx Ruchie new
      #148011 - 02/08/05 11:55 PM
Taylahmai

I have always thought in the back of my mind that I have a compulsive eating disorder, but haven't wanted to acknowledge it. I've ALWAYS been sensitive about my weight, but have never been overweight, often on the contrary. Its interesting that my obsessive eating has only got really bad within the last couple of years when I' ve been suffering with BM problems and bloat. Emotional eating, sigh, it feels so good at the time......

Will have a look at the OA website, thanx for the info

--------------------

Hi Jessica new
      #148016 - 02/09/05 12:28 AM
Taylahmai

OMG you sound just like me!! I battle bloating 24/ 7. I hate it sooooooooo much. I wake up bloated, I get more bloated after lunch and then I carry around the most painful bloated tummy by dinner time. I get so stressed by it that I emotional eat and eat. Which naturally makes it worse! Oh it is so good (well sad really but you know what I mean) to find someone else who gets painfully bloated every time they eat (or in my case even if I don't eat!!). My only saviour is that my bloating comes in episodes, unfortunately at the moment I've had horrible bloat for weeks now

--------------------

Re: Thanx Ruchie new
      #148020 - 02/09/05 12:52 AM
nikjones_uk

I can relate to that - I get really sensitive when people have asked if I have an eating disorder, I've never had a problem with my weight (well, not to my knowledge anyway) and have never been overweight - so maybe subconciously I have a disorder! Gulp, I hope not

Re: Eating disorders and emotional eating/Thank You Ruchie new
      #148028 - 02/09/05 01:18 AM
caprice

Reged: 01/11/05

Thanks for that sight. When I was ip for recovery from anorexia I was with people with all types of ed. We all shared a common bond because we used food/weight as a coping mechansim and a destructive way. It helps to feel not so alone though I'm sorry you and others struggle. Another great website is Something Fishy they have all types of ed and help for recovery. No one deserves to suffer mentally or physically with this disorder. The best thing I did was to get help as in therapy,nutrition,psych. Its a long process and I take one day at a time. Take care to all and thanks.

Re: Problem - need to vent new
      #148097 - 02/09/05 07:51 AM
AllisonL

Reged: 01/19/05
Loc: Chapel Hill, North Carolina

Wow, You guys have really pinned down exactly how I feel too. I feel like always having to be concerned with what i can eat, and making sure foods are available by carrying them around with me has made me obsessive about food. I had a little bit of an eating disorder last year, wasnt really anorexic but just obsessed about everything I ate and really only ate a lot of fruit and vegetables. Worked with a counselor because I was just getting so tired of worryiing about it ALL the time, but I didnt really click with her. Still feel like I am obsessive. Then when I am C, I feel like I consume hi fiber foods in mass quantity trying to move it through as well. Doesnt seem to do much either way, just have to wait until I am relaxed or if really desperate, have a few sips of coffee - that always works. I am really comforted to hear that this isnt just my theory about the correlation bw eating disorder/obsession and IBS.

Bloating new
      #148102 - 02/09/05 08:03 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I'm with ya all!

I bloat EVEN IF I don't eat anything. Been like this since I was a kid. I thought I was the only person like this...I even thought it was in my head for a while. Hubby cleared that up for me...he sees it every day! *sigh*

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 878 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1344

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review