All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
So confused!!!!! Soluble vs. Insoluble
      #146809 - 02/04/05 03:09 PM
BetterLife

Reged: 01/30/05
Loc: CA, USA

Read this link. http://www.wholehealthmd.com/hk/remedies/disp/0,1459,450,00.html
I'm so confused now because I don't know what to listen to and I'm not sure what my body is saying it needs. I searched further because I felt like too much soluble fiber was making me more C! What guideline do I follow??

--------------------
BetterLife

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: So confused!!!!! Soluble vs. Insoluble new
      #146816 - 02/04/05 03:46 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

Heather doesn't say you shouldn't eat insoluble fiber though, she just says eat it cautiously. Basiclly, soluble fiber allows you to eat more insoluble, which is a good thing. Like me personally, since I started taking a soluble fiber supplement, I can eat more insoluble fiber foods without experiencing the IBS symptoms (not 100%, but a lot better then before!). For some reason a lot of people seem to confuse what Heather is saying and think she says you should eat all soluble fiber and that's it. Eat what you are able to.

--------------------
IBS-C

#146822 - 02/04/05 03:53 PM
angela3

Reged: 07/12/04
Loc: Texas, near Fort Worth)

okay, i checked out the website and it is very generic and not very good. If I ate the things it listed for migraines, I would be on the floor every day with a headache. If I ate the things it listed for acne, I would be looking like a pizza face. In other words, do what works for you, not what you read.

But about fiber.........I would say from everything I read on these message board that the high soluble fiber works best for us that are IBS-D. You IBS-Cers have to have more insoluble fiber worked in to move things through, but always do soluble fiber and insoluble together so the soluble can "cushion" the insoluble.

That website was referring to IBS with constipation and suggesting insoluble to relieve constipation, because it would clean out the colon. Most advertisements on TV and in magazines advertise IBS-C...such as zelnorm, there is not much advertised for IBS-D. That website did not address IBS with D and C, therefore it was not a very good source, just generic info.

It was uninformative and I would just ignore it.

#146823 - 02/04/05 03:56 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

The link didn't work for me, but Heather stresses a balance between insoluble and soluble fibre. The importance of soluble fiber and soluble fiber supplements is critical for both diarrahea and constipation. Then, you carefully add insolubles making sure to mash, peel, cook and puree your insolubles. These 4 ideas should become your mantra for fruits and veggies - mash peel, cook and puree. The more you can do of those the better. It makes the insoluble fiber much more tolerable.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#146841 - 02/04/05 04:14 PM
BetterLife

Reged: 01/30/05
Loc: CA, USA

Thanks to all of you. I will try finding my balance.

--------------------
BetterLife

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 393 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 548

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review