All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Bulimia and IBS-desparately need advice
      #146585 - 02/04/05 02:44 AM
Whitey

Reged: 01/18/05
Loc: Originally from Scotland now living in United Arab Emirates

Hi all, really hoping someone has a similar experience or can offer advice. I have been bulimic since the age of 17 so about 14 years. Have recently tried to stop but feel completely frustrated as stomach is in turmoil. Feels like spasms, urgency to go to the toilet, D at least once a week. Went to see the doctor but I'm currently working abroad and in this culture eating disorders are just not recognised, my medical insurance doesn't cover it so described symptoms to doctor who after a barrage of tesets told me I have IBS but do I???? I'm afraid I've mucked up my digestive system for ever and am completely down about it with no one I can turn to. Makes me feel like not trying to stop the bulimia when I know I have to. What do you think does this seem like IBS or could it be a knock on from bulimia??

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Bulimia and IBS-desparately need advice new
      #146609 - 02/04/05 06:32 AM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Well first I would suggest that you get some help for the bulimia. It is a very serious sickness (as you probably know) and requires medical attention.

After you get that under control then it will probably be easier to deal with the IBS.

It's going to be hard for you to follow any kind of diet that will be beneficial for your IBS if you're bulimic. Please get some help and feel free to continue posting here if you need any support!! *hugs*

#146623 - 02/04/05 07:33 AM
MissS

Reged: 02/11/04

My daughter's ex-sil is bulimic and she's been this way for about 10 years. She already has multiple digestive problems because of it. Yes, it can definitely mess up your intestinal system. She had a colonoscopy and they found some things they want to remove, but she refuses to do it. She has also damaged her esophagus from all the vomiting. Her doctor is aware of the bulimia and she knows the damage she is doing to herself.

You should tell your doctor about it and/or try to find someone who can help you. It's very serious and if you do have ibs, you won't be able to help yourself and be bulimic at the same time. Eating regularly and digesting it, is necessary for a quality life; let alone ibs!

What tests did they run on you? I think you should tell your doctor about the bulimia. If you're having a lot of intestinal problems and you didn't mention the bulimia, then you haven't given him all the information he needs to help you. Is it possible that you're finding excuses to keep yourself from telling your doc?

The human body is wonderfully, awesome and fine tuned. It's always trying to heal itself. Whatever damage has been done can be fixed, but you have to stop hurting yourself.
Please get some help!!!!!

#146625 - 02/04/05 07:37 AM
caprice

Reged: 01/11/05

I have to agree about trying to find help. This disorder has a lot of issues you need to deal with mentally and physically. There is a lot of damage you could be doing. I'm in treatment for anorexia and have regained some of the weight but also have ibs-c. I know a lot of ed people or who have had an ed have ibs. I'm sure some of it is the stress from the ed.There is a website called something fishy they may have a good referral overseas or I would call the local hospitals.Its a scary process to recover I know but you have to remind yourself there is no happy or healthy life with one. Take care.

Get help soon, please! new
      #146630 - 02/04/05 07:59 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Even if it means you have to move back home. Bulimia is very, very bad for your body...and if you do have IBS as well, you won't be able to control it whilst you're bulimic! The bulimia needs sorting before anything else.

#146957 - 02/05/05 09:30 AM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

Hi! I too had anorexia and bulimia, and when I decided to start eating normal, that's when the IBS started I admit, I do still purge occasionally, definitly not bad like how it used to be though. I can tell you right now, there IS hope! I used to be in so much pain, back before I knew how to treat the IBS. Now I can eat almost normal First off, I would suggest going by the diet, especially the begining stages. For now, stick with "safer" foods like white bread, crackers, white rice, apple sauce, and whatever else Healther lists. Unfortunatly, keeping on purging will only make you feel worse, since you need to teach your body how to eat normal and digest properly. If you want to PM me feel free to. You CAN stop the bulimia, it takes hard work, but you can do it

--------------------
IBS-C

#148059 - 02/09/05 05:47 AM
Whitey

Thank you so much to all of the people who replied that means the world to me and helped me get through another day,thanks especially to fishnets for sharing your experience. I would love to PM you but I don't know how to. Tried clicking on the link but it won't work!

former anorexic new
      #148062 - 02/09/05 06:03 AM
puffybelly

Reged: 02/04/05

Hi there,

I battled anorexia off and on for over 20 years. I do believe my last few bouts 3-5 years ago exacerbated my IBS. I quit eating thinking that somehow it would ease the hurt in my heart...for me the anorexia was never about being fat, it was about control.

I can tell you that by the grace of God I am doing just fine and have put on weight...now I am working on taking care of my GI tract and tummy. I too believe that if you start with the bland food and give your tummy time to settle down you can ease the discomfort in your stomach.

Do seek help for your bulimia...surely there is a physician somewhere that has experience with eating disorders. I will keep you in my prayers.

--------------------
"puffy"

Me too, former anorexic new
      #148092 - 02/09/05 07:38 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Also battled this demon for 15 years or so. Have been gaining weight now (over 25 pounds this year).

I blame all my current GI problems on my past abuse. I think there are a lot of us on the board with former eating disorders.

I agree, that treatment for bulimia is critical. You can overcome this. There are 4 or 5 former anorexics and/or bulimics on this board who are living proof of that. And I suffered for over 15 years. The sooner you get help the easier it will be to overcome.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: former anorexic new
      #148105 - 02/09/05 08:14 AM
Whitey

To Happy and Beth- you helped me in a way you'll never know tonight. After having crippling stomach pains today, for reasons I don't know, I decided to stay home tonight rather than go out for a meal with my husband and his parents who are here visiting us. I was so fed up I started to binge and things would have spiralled out of control had I not come on and checked this board. I read your e-mails and I did not follow through with my planned binging and vomiting. Instead I'm typing this, I 'll ahve a bath and I'm going to go to bed. This is a rare and huge thing for me although it may sound insignificant. The power of just one person, a stranger, sharing their own personal experience and saying they're thinking about you is phenomenal. Thank you so much whoever you are. I think I'll be on this board at times like this, maybe I can beat this.
Again, a million thanks.

Not an insignificant thing! new
      #148127 - 02/09/05 09:19 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Be proud of yourself! Eating Disorders are very very rough to overcome and then when you get the IBS pain despite "being good" it doesn't feel like the reward we think we deserve by overcoming the ED demons! Ironic, but when I decided to stop the ED and eat healthy is when I suffered the most with the pain of IBS. Not quit the outcome I expected!

I thought that once I had overcame the anorexia/bulimia I would be carefree to eat whatever I wanted. Freedom from restrictions and calorie counting and obsessing. It's now a new obsessing and restrictive eating, but much healthier. And the pain is chronic and I still am symptomatic. Not what we deserve after a long life of being enslaved by our eating disorder. But I would not go back to that ever again, despite the difficulties I am having now. In the beginning it was rough. But I learned that it was not worth the physical and emotional toll.

You can overcome this. I will pray for you. I've been there. It is a dark place. You are no longer alone.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Whitey new
      #148165 - 02/09/05 10:52 AM
puffybelly

Reged: 02/04/05

I believe that when God see's us through certain issues, we should use our experiences in order to help others. I am so glad that you were helped by my post.

DOn't give up...this is something you can beat!

Hugs,

--------------------
"puffy"

#148381 - 02/09/05 08:25 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

Quote:

Thank you so much to all of the people who replied that means the world to me and helped me get through another day,thanks especially to fishnets for sharing your experience. I would love to PM you but I don't know how to. Tried clicking on the link but it won't work!

Hmm for some reason the PM button is shut off, anyone know why? I'm really glad you stopped yourself from binge/purging That's awesome! I don't know if this will help, but I've found that as long as I take 5 flaxseed oil pills every morning, I have no urge to binge!! Weird huh? I also post at an ED board, and I suggested it and other people have found that it helps as well. Obviously if the binge is purely emotional driven that wouldn't help, but if you're like me and you get tempted into night eating, it helps.

--------------------
IBS-C

Whitey/ GOOD JOB!/Thank You new
      #148420 - 02/10/05 01:09 AM
caprice

Reged: 01/11/05

I just wanted to say as someone who is recovering from anorexia and have other issues too I'm so proud of you. I know how hard it is not to give into the urges. It is not insignificant. It shows strength,courage,and will lead you towards a happier and healthier life. I need to remind myself that too.Take care and though I'm sorry your struggling its a comfort sort of to know I'm not alone and if I use better coping mechanisms I can get threw the hard times too. Thank you because you helped me to see if you really push through the hard times you can get through them.Stay strong.

Re: Whitey/ GOOD JOB!/Thank You new
      #148433 - 02/10/05 03:22 AM
Whitey

Caprice, thank you so much for your reply, it meant a lot to me-never considered taht I could have a positive effect on anyone. I read your post regarding the laxatives-please stay strong! You only took them in relation to discomfort from the IBS so don't see this as an ED failing in any way, shape or for. I know its disappointing because you see laxative abuse in relation to your anorexia but this was a different circumstance. This was for the relief of discomfort not to lose weight, please din't beat yourself up about it. The way to view it is that maybe you need advice as to how to relieve this discomfort in other ways-you were in pain so you related to behaviors you knew would work. I feel for you I really do, but I totally admire the fact that you are in therapy for this and making progress. This is just a hiccup on the way. I have had many of those but this time I'm just going to take each day as it comes and if you ever and I mean EVER need support then you'll always find me on this board or I can give you my e-mail address if that's possible. You're not alone Caprice, keep fighting it, you will succeed.

Re: Not an insignificant thing! new
      #148434 - 02/10/05 03:26 AM
Whitey

Thank you so much Beth, you definately sound like you understand what I'm feeling. Thank you for taking the time to reply, it means a lot to know there's support out there.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2802 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4126

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review