All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Re: Getting the IBS diagnosis new
      #146671 - 02/04/05 10:28 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

First diagnosis was almost 15 years ago. I saw three different doctors only because I moved from GA to OK at the time. The doctor that diagnosed did the stool samples, blood samples, colonoscopy ect...He pulled me off caffeine, bc pills and put me on antispasmodic and a muscle relaxer. I stabilized and stayed that way for a very long time.

This last bout was triggerd a couple of years ago - once again major life changes going on, so I know stress is my biggest trigger. I saw an internal med guy whose initial treatment was based on my original diagnosis. When I got worse, he referred me to a gastro guy. Gall bladder ultrasound, full set of upper and lower GI xray series will small bowel follow thru, followed by small bowel biopsy and colonoscopy....all my insides working fine. The doc thinks I picked up a gastritis situation that triggered me this last time. I'm still trying to stabilize...that has been ongoing for most of two years. I am better today, thanks to this site, but still have to be careful what I eat, drink water, stay moving, do the SFS...you are familiar with my posts.

Personally, I expect my IBS will always be with me and probably worssen as I get older simply because of life-stress and the way my body handles it. I come by this honestly from my dad's side of the family, and on my mom's side I have lost 4 aunts and uncles to some type of gastrointestinal cancer and have and aunt and uncle living today who have both undergone chemo and surgery for colon cancer. I just accept it and do what I know I must to stay as healthy as possible.

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#146687 - 02/04/05 10:52 AM
quietwalker

Reged: 02/19/04
Loc: West Texas

I was diagnosis 6 years ago & yes I had to have 4 Dr. convince me I had IBS & wasn't dying of something else. I've had every test you can think of & even when to Houston
Where the TOP Dr's!!! Suppose to be. But luckly I found a
Very good internal med. Dr. With TONS!!! of patient's & lots of caring for his patients & he told me to not to go from one dr to the next. Which I no longer do & he see's me every
6 mos. And if I get a real bad spell (I am D) I get where I need some reasuring I call his office & he will call & talk me thru it. I still have bad day's but I try to tell my self it will be a better day tomorrow ! I read everything from anything I can get my hands on about IBS & hoping someday they will fix what's broken! I have found my #1
problem is STRESS! Good Luck, the people on this board are a blessing as at least you can go on here & someone as it worst then you do. So your far from alone.

#146701 - 02/04/05 11:53 AM
bellshel32

Reged: 10/28/04
Loc: Kansas, USA

I was diagnosed the first time I went to a GI doc (colonoscopy). A couple years later, I saw another GI doc who also concluded it's IBS (colonoscopy). The second doc just did my 3rd colonoscopy recently & said it's IBS.

I honestly didn't question whether other tests were advisable.

#146711 - 02/04/05 12:12 PM
LittleFox

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: California

I had been suffering from constipation for about 15 years. My Cardiologist suggested Colace to help me out. It worked for a while, but as I got older (in my thirities) I had to add prune juice and over the counter stimulants. I suffered with this for 3-4 years more; then I decided to see a GI.

I got two opinions before accepting this diagnosis. The first GI gave me an "educated" guess. The second gave me a Colonoscopy, stool testing, blood work and many other tests to rule out anything but IBS.

After the test results returned with an "all clear", I accepted the diagnosis.

Although I have not had an "attack" for six months now, I still do not consider myself normal or stable. If I get a cold - IBS will flare up, if I get stressed - IBS will flare up; so forth and so.

I just consider myself as being "attack free" for six months and hope it continues.

Hope this helps a little.

Lene

--------------------
God never promised life would be easy, but he did promise to provide a way out!

#146954 - 02/05/05 09:22 AM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

I was diagnosed by my regular doctor (after having done no tests). Then I decided I wanted to really know, so I went to a GI doctor and had everything tested, except for a colonoscopy. The reason I didn't get the colonoscopy is that when I took the pre-colonoscopy laxative, it didn't work right! It kicked in around the time that I was supposed to have the colonoscopy done (I had already cancelled it), it was supposed to kick in like 12 hours earlier. Oh well. I had a colonoscopy a couple years earlier which showed nothing except internal hemmhroids. But the GI guy thought it sounded like IBS as well, espeically since being on the diet/taking an SFS helped me greatly.

--------------------
IBS-C

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1400 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2243

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review