All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Wasted money on promises
      #145492 - 02/01/05 08:02 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I am wondering if others have spent hundreds of dollars buying supplements that are suppose to help IBS? There ars so many to try and so many recommended for IBS. I have tried probably 10 and don't know which are legitimate and which are are waste of money.

Every book you read on IBS recommends different things, and these books have been written by doctors who specialize in IBS.

Besides probiotics, digestive enzymes, and SFS has anyone found a legitamate supplement that helps, like L-glutamine, Ibscalol sp?, valerian, or any of the other recommendations you find in Nutritional healing books?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Wasted money on promises new
      #145496 - 02/01/05 08:24 PM
ptillen

Reged: 06/27/04
Loc: Milwaukee WI

Problem is, every body is different and responds to different supplements, and unfortunately, the only way to find out what works is to try everything in sight until you hit on something, or a good combination of somethings. I'm not even sure whether others' recommendations are helpful, since we all seem so different.
So you might say the money's wasted, or you might say it's an investment in finding what works.
Sigh!
Too bad that's the only way to do it, huh?
Augie, from the look of your posts today, you seem very discouraged. Hope you'll hang in there, keep trying, find something that's helpful to you soon.

I've done the same....... new
      #145519 - 02/02/05 12:57 AM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

I was on Lifestream Biogenic Inner gel aloe vera till Heather gave warnings against it (the company say it's safe but I don't want to risk long term problems) and it was $30 a bottle so I have a bottle of that in the fridge, a container of slippery elm powder, container of slippery elm capsules, container of L-Glutamine, ummmm, donnatab antispasmodics which didn't work plus a $45 pkt of anti depressants I never took. Whew. I sure waste a lot of money I don't have. Makes me cranky too.

--------------------
Amy

Re: I've done the same....... new
      #145525 - 02/02/05 01:22 AM
jol

Reged: 02/02/05
Loc: New Zealand

I have only just 2 days ago been recommended the lifestream aloe vera juice and some slippery elm!!! I have only been diagnosed about a week ago with ibs (though thought I had it for many years) and am only just starting to eat accordingly - I am following alot of the guidelines on this site, and it has certainly helped with the painful bloating, however I wonder if the gas ever goes away???? It can be uncomfortable and embarrassing, and seems to occur no matter what I eat (though at varying degrees), has anyone else out there managed to beat this problem or get rid of it over time???

#145545 - 02/02/05 04:56 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I think all of us have done it to some extent. While I haven't had the problems you've had, and I haven't tried nearly as many supplements as you have, I did waste about $30 trying to find the SFS that was going to work for me, and another $30 on probiotics that I never took because I was afraid, another $10 on digestive enzymes that didn't do anything, and let's not even get into the amount of money wasted on specialty foods that ended up in the trash. Thankfully, I only pay a copay for prescriptions, because there's also those untouched (because I was afraid!) Bentyl and Phenergan in the cabinet.

Sweetie, I think I owe you another email, once I'm a little more awake (I just rolled out of bed, heh).

Beth, hang in there, ok? You will find relief for this, I know you will. *hugs*

#145905 - 02/02/05 02:04 PM
taroh73

Reged: 12/28/04
Loc: chicago, il

Let's see....... i've spent $180 on something called molocure, hundreds of dollars on "renew life" products (intestinew, cleansemore, heavy metal detoxes and on and on) hundreds of dollars on garden of life products that are supposed to cure everything, hundreds of dollars on acupuncture and all kinds of homeopathic herbs, I've read the maker's diet, patient heal thyself, some crazy book call the cleanse or something. So yes, over the years I'm sure i've spent close to 10K on mostly futile efforts. Even many of the rx i've gotten have only made symptoms worse. THis disease is pure hell. I wrote this in another email, but the only thing that's working for me is babyfood, bananas,potatoes, zelnorm and citrucel. That's been for a few weeks very successful. Does that sound like something you could try?

p.s. augie, regarding supplements new
      #145907 - 02/02/05 02:06 PM
taroh73

Reged: 12/28/04
Loc: chicago, il

For me, the only laxative that I can tolerate w/FEWEST side effects (not none) is called cleansemore by renew life. I have to cushion it w/plenty of potatoes though, which cushions the blow so to speak when coming out!

Thanks Paula new
      #146079 - 02/02/05 07:47 PM
Augie

Yeah, I'm having a rough time.

As far as keep trying more supplements, I'm going broke and It's hard to fork out 20 or more bucks for a supplement only to end up with a cupboard full of half used supplements. I must have more than 10 different supplements in my cupboard right now. Probably more: Artichoke leaf extract, omega 3 supplement, peppermint capsulses, gas be gone, 3 different Renew LIfe product, the list goes on...

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: I've done the same....... new
      #146080 - 02/02/05 07:53 PM
Augie

I have most of those too: slippery elm, l glutamine, antidepressants I couldn't tolerate, ant-spasmodics that caused me C, plus all the herbal ones. And about 6 different types of SFS!

I too live on a very tight budget. LIke poverty level, so I could have really used that money to pay some medical bills off.

Amy, we are two peas in a pod (unfortunately two sick peas in a pod). Promise me we'll keep each other going? We need to be there for each other okay? We need to pick each other up and let each other know if we find anything that helps.

--------------------
~ Beth

Casey, new
      #146082 - 02/02/05 08:00 PM
Augie

I know I've probably wasted over 5,000 dollars on meds, SFS, herbal supplements I cannot take or haven't worked. Remember, I had no medication coverage! and of course the HFS charge mega bucks. The digestive enzyme is 45 dollars alone. The Primal Defense probiotic is also 45 dollars and you were suppose to take 12 a day in the beginning, so that was $45 dollars every 9 days! I did that for 3 months! Stupid me. Didn't do a darn thing but cost me a fortune.

How can you be so sure I will get some relief? I wish I had your optimism, sweetie. Thank you for your words of encouragement. I think you would do about anything to help me, and that touches me!

--------------------
~ Beth

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 940 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6181

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review