All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Anyone lose weight?
      #145470 - 02/01/05 07:04 PM
happyday

Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: Chicago, IL

I am looking to start the IBS diet, but am afraid I will gain more weight. Has anyone lost weight following Heather's plan?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I have! new
      #145473 - 02/01/05 07:23 PM
ptillen

Reged: 06/27/04
Loc: Milwaukee WI

Yeah, 18 pounds; mostly, I think thanks to portion control and exercise. This diet isn't a diet in the sense of a short-term food regimen, but a long term plan to eat healthy things; as such it's a good plan to lose weight with.

I lost... new
      #145530 - 02/02/05 02:45 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I lost 7 pouinds and many inches on it without trying to lose (bloat for the inches).. and I know heather7476 and others have lost a fair amount of weight on it too... just remember to keep the caloric count to a reasonable level, and portion control is key.. as well as getting exercise along with the diet.. some of the recipes- like heathers quick breads are great for weight gain or maintenance but not so much for loss unles you cna limit how much you eat of them, but the rest of the diet is ideal for weight loss- low fat and healthy!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Yes new
      #145555 - 02/02/05 05:26 AM
CindyC

Reged: 09/30/04
Loc: Ohio, USA

There have been a lot of threads about this question. Do a search and I'm sure you'll find lots of answers and suggestions.

I was leery when I first started this diet, but it's all about calories in, calories expended. If you eat more calories than you burn, then sure, you will gain. But if you eat less, you will lose.

I had been dieting before I started this diet and had 8 more lbs. to lose. I have lost those 8 lbs. and am now maintaining on the diet.

Cindy

totally new
      #145563 - 02/02/05 05:45 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Since you can't ever indulge in fattening treats or fattening occassional meal I found losing weight really easy at first. Also just in feeling better I exercised more and just not being bloated seemed to make me less of a person so to speak . I used to eat gas station cookies couple times a week and ice cream and candy bars and that kind of stuff, so even though now sometimes I wish I could have a salad instead of so much bread and rice, I still am taking in less fattening food. Lately though since it is winter I have been eating like a horse and gained back 4 pounds!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Yes new
      #145564 - 02/02/05 05:49 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

I lost a lot - 35 pounds. I actually think I lost more like 40 but I gained a few back over the winter. but I think they'll go away again too.

Re: Anyone lose weight? new
      #145572 - 02/02/05 06:02 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

Yes I have lost over 50 pounds (including 30 lbs baby weight). I was really sick this summer and fall and that's when I lost the rest. When I was diagnosed in the fall I started the IBS way of eating and have maintained my weight loss well. Now I can enjoy being thinner and not feeling rotton along with it!

#145580 - 02/02/05 06:11 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

Yes - I started the diet a month ago and I have lost about 5 pounds - my clothes are starting to be too big!!

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

I lost 7 pounds within the first few weeks. n/t new
      #145627 - 02/02/05 07:30 AM
bellshel32

Reged: 10/28/04
Loc: Kansas, USA

Re: I have! new
      #145714 - 02/02/05 08:57 AM
LittleFox

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: California

I lost 25 pounds with this diet. I also exercise 5 days a week. Like everyone, I gained 14 pounds over the holidays but 4 pounds have gone already.

Lene

--------------------
God never promised life would be easy, but he did promise to provide a way out!

#145747 - 02/02/05 09:36 AM
KimGun

Reged: 10/15/04
Loc: St. Vincent & the Grenadines, Caribbean

Yes... I lost about 7-8 lbs initially.... am IBS-C., but have stabilised, and put back on about 3-4 lbs. after a couple of months. I was pretty lean to start with .... sporting activity every day..... but am feeling so much better on the diet. It is worth it, and I think you end up healthier.

#145768 - 02/02/05 10:14 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

I only lost 10 pounds but several inches due to getting the bloat under control.

--------------------
God is Faithful!

#145845 - 02/02/05 11:53 AM
abuss

Reged: 01/13/05
Loc: Lake Crystal, MN

Oh definitely..I lost 25 lbs. in a relatively short period of time...and I've maintained it for almost 2 yrs now!

10 Pounds!!! -nt- new
      #145848 - 02/02/05 11:59 AM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hey there! new
      #145849 - 02/02/05 12:02 PM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

I'm so glad to hear that you're feeling better! I didn't know! YAY for you!!! What have you found to be your secret... just out of curiosity!

I started taking Mirilax a little over a month ago, and it has proved to be a Godsend for me!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

Yes - 60+ new
      #145871 - 02/02/05 12:31 PM
Gr8ful

Reged: 03/15/04
Loc: Orange County CA

I originally had an intestinal virus which started all of this IBS stuff. I lost 30lbs from that because I was so sick. Once I got on Heather's diet I continued to loose 30-35lbs over a six month period. I have maintained this weight on her diet for about a year now.

Leigh

I gained new
      #145887 - 02/02/05 01:12 PM
taroh73

Reged: 12/28/04
Loc: chicago, il

Unfortunately, this diet has not been good for me. Probably because I had an incredibly healthy diet before (tons of fresh fruit, veggies, and grains) which made me sick but kept me in great shape. All of the starch and refined white stuff on this diet has been bad for me as far as weight gain. I've put on about 8 pounds in just a few months! Can't seem to fight it. I don't think you can remove that much good stuff from your diet and not suffer the consequences. However, I feel much better on the diet, just self esteem is plummeting b/c of the rapid weight gain. I think it depends on what your current diet is! Good luck.

You all just send that weight over to Ohio...:) new
      #145895 - 02/02/05 01:31 PM
Harmony

Reged: 01/08/05

I need it. There's something about Heather's diet, that she clearly shares with us in every page, that we are all different in how we react to certain foods. Your triggers may not be someone elses, and vice versa. Ther is a passage in the bible that encourages us to practice moderation in all things, That means to me, that we need to find balance specificially for ourselves. I wish we could walk in one anothers shoes in most cases, but this is literally one case that we do. We all know the fear of the attacks, the confusion over the foods and supplements. And we want someone close by who has been there done it...this is what Heather offers. I would love to have your extra weight...so by gosh...send it...

Taroh new
      #145936 - 02/02/05 02:53 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Hi Taroh!

Take out the "refine white stuff" and see if your weight drops. Many people start Heather's diet and they start eating tons of sugar cause it's allowed. Heather makes sure to mention sugar is empty calories. BUT it doesn't effect IBS. So we take it for granted and eat the stuff a LOT and, well, our weight can surely go up if we eat this way...

Just an idea. *hugs*

I'm glad you feel good...that's terrific!

One more thing...Heather doesn't suggest we take out fruits and veggies...just that we make them in ways that are safe to eat. For example: pureed, mashed, seeds removed, etc. We need insoluble fiber too! Just in moderation and in ways that don't hurt our sensative tummies

Good luck...keep feelin good!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#146025 - 02/02/05 06:17 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Oh god ya, I lost lots at first. I wouldn't worry about gaining weight!

Great post Rache! new
      #146209 - 02/03/05 07:44 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

You said everything I was about to!

We are just so super Linz *hugs* new
      #146247 - 02/03/05 08:57 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Thinking alike like that...must be the fibro and dog lover in us! LOL

Love ya!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1540 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2598

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review