All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Non-meat Substitutes
      #145438 - 02/01/05 06:30 PM
erinb_77

Reged: 11/23/04
Loc: Alberta, Canada

Hi everyone. I am from Alberta, Canada and on TV here they are advertising for "Schneiders Oh Naturel" meatless products. Has anyone tried any of these? I have tried many different non-meat substitutes and have yet to find one I really like (having grown up on the prairies in a small farm community, I grew up on the "red meat and potato" diet). I don't know if the products are available here yet or where they might be already but any feedback is appreciated! Or if there are other products people like that is great too. Have a great one!

--------------------
Erin

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Non-meat Substitutes new
      #145452 - 02/01/05 06:41 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

HI, I am from Canada as well and just saw the commercial you are talking about the other day. My question about it was that they never really said what it is made out of did they? I don't believe they have the Schneider's brand in the US, I have alot of family there and have never seen it in Michigan anyway. I was gonna check the grocery store this weekend when I went to check it out and see if it is there yet. If you find anything out first let me know!!

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

#145478 - 02/01/05 07:26 PM
erinb_77

Reged: 11/23/04
Loc: Alberta, Canada

That would be great! If I get to the store and find it I will let you know too.

--------------------
Erin

#145650 - 02/02/05 08:02 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Hi Erin

I'm from Canada too (from London actually! Hi Beth! ) Anyway, I've seen these commercials. They're veggie burgers, made mostly of soy, pretty much just like any other veggie-burger you could buy (i.e. Yves, which makes A TON of meatless subsitutes, like veggie ground round - like ground beef, you won't be able to tell the difference! - as well as sausages and lunch meats).

These Oh Naturel products have a similar nutritional value to regular veggie burgers, and they are *fairly* low fat. The reason that Schneiders is putting up a big ad campaign for this now is because their burgers are 'different' because apparantly they do better on the bbq than regular veggie burgers.

But yeah, if you like veggie burgers give them a try! (Just check the ingredients first just in case). I personally like veggie burgers. The trick is to not bite into it thinking you're about to taste a hamburger, because the taste is differnt. But it's good! You have to appreciate it for it's own taste, which may be a little difficult having grown up in Alberta! (my partner's from Edmonton, and does he ever love his steak! lol)

Anyway, hope that helps!

Cheers, Laurel.

#146090 - 02/02/05 08:17 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hi Laurel!!! wow can't believe you are in London as well. I haven't gotten into trying any soy products yet. I tried soy milk and did not like it. I have just started on the website and am going to get the books this weekend. I have cut out red meat and am just having turkey, chicken and tuna right now. The commercial made me curious but I am not vegetarian so I guess there is no need to try it right now.

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 425 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 459

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review