All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Cramps allll the time
      #145199 - 02/01/05 08:44 AM
melissam

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: Scranton Pennsylvania

Does anyone have cramps all the time??? I hear alot of people say "if I know I am going out to eat ot if I know I am going to eat something which will cause an attack"-- I was diagnosed IBS-C- although I DO have a bowel movement every day - all I use is one dose of citrucel. I don't hink I go eneough but still I am having a bulky BM. BUt I got off track-- The only time I do not have cramps is when I 1st wake up- then thats it..... Is anyone else this way??? And if so what meds are you currently taking. I have antispasmodics and hate them--- The doctor says I can take them 4 times a day if need be but how do people function on that medicine- it makes me feel so "out of it". Anyone else walking in my shoes..

--------------------
Melissa
Pain predominant w/occasional C.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Cramps allll the time new
      #145200 - 02/01/05 08:46 AM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

the side effects of the anti-spasmodics wear off after you've been taking them for a while...so you won't always feel that out of it.

Do you exercise at all? The cramps could be caused by trapped gas. If you exercise it helps release it...gross I know...but it works!!

I used to be this way... new
      #145207 - 02/01/05 09:16 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

a) I went on heathers diet.. b) I upped my dose of a safer fiber- what I was on originally was actually making the gas worse... c) gas -X and d) peppermint caps and fennel/peppermint tea and lastly e) exercise when I started working out again the last of that went away until I went on antibiotics for 2 weeks, now its back until those wear off again!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: Anti-spasmodic only at night....... new
      #145210 - 02/01/05 09:22 AM
DynaDeb

Reged: 01/24/05
Loc: NW Indiana

I know what you mean about the way they make you feel. My GI told me I could take them 4x a day also, but no-way. I take one when I go to bed for several nights in a row and it seems to help.
Hope you find some relief soon.

Debby
------------------------------
"Live to Ride. Ride to Live." H-D

--------------------
Debby

"Live to Ride. Ride to Live."

#145218 - 02/01/05 09:32 AM
melissam

So now here's my confusion- I get depressed because I have cramps all the time therefeore have no ambition to do anything etc.... Should I go on an antidepressant which they say helps the cramps or take the antispasmodics? But I still have to come to work every day so I can't feel like Im in another world. I just need the cramps to go away.

--------------------
Melissa

#145241 - 02/01/05 10:21 AM
bellshel32

Reged: 10/28/04
Loc: Kansas, USA

I used to get cramps way more often than I do now. I'm taking Miralax every morning, which has helped me. I would generally get the cramps because I was C. (I'm an IBS-C). Although sometimes I'd have the cramps even though I'd had a bm. Maybe I'm doing better now because the Miralax helps me be more regular.

I tried antispasmotics once, but they made me cramp up & get very C. (ironic about the cramps, huh?) I stopped taking them after a few days.

#145245 - 02/01/05 10:26 AM
melissam

Do you take the Miralax every day? I read that the Miralax causes bloating and gas? Do you find that to be true also?

--------------------
Melissa

#145249 - 02/01/05 10:32 AM
bellshel32

Reged: 10/28/04
Loc: Kansas, USA

I take it every morning before breakfast in a big glass of water & cranberry juice. It has given me gas before, but it generally doesn't. I don't feel bloated either. It really helps me feel more "normal."

When you first start taking it, you might not have a bm for a few days. But then it kicks in. I usually have a bm every day on the Miralax.

Get Active!! new
      #145279 - 02/01/05 12:45 PM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I would suggest trying ANYTHING else before starting an anti-depressant...but that's just me. Your body will become physically dependant on them and you can't just stop taking them whenever you want to.

I suggest going for a walk everyday...you can do it after work, after dinner. Get a gym membership?? Being physically active WILL make your stomach feel better AND it will help get rid of your depression at the same time. It's a win/win situation...and here's something even better!! There are no bad side effects to physical fitness...however, there's chance you may become mentally addicted!! LOL I know I have!!

#145412 - 02/01/05 05:58 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I have cramps every minute of every day. No matter what I do or eat. I think maybe the SFS is causing the cramps? I don't know. I am IBS-C, so thought the SFS would help with that, but I suffer severe cramps everyday.

I don't know what to do about them because I can't handle peppermint capsules and anti-spasmodics cause me C and droziness.

If you find any answers, please post them.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

I'm not on sfs.... new
      #145432 - 02/01/05 06:24 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

and I'm an A but mostly D and I have cramps ALL DAY too. I'm on an antispasmodic (prescription) at night but take buscopan during the day. Neither make me tired, out of it or drowsy, especially no side effects with the buscopan (which is just over the counter at the chemists). Other than that I just live with them and try and schedule meals to be eaten at home.

--------------------
Amy

what is buscopan? new
      #145441 - 02/01/05 06:33 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

If it helps D then definately out for me. But I need something for these painful cramps!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Not for D..... new
      #145484 - 02/01/05 07:42 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

It's an over the counter anti spasmodic made from some plant extract that they sell at the chemist along with gas x and stuff and peppermint caps. I'm pretty sure Heather mentions it in her book Eating for IBS (the first book) so I'm assuming it's available in the US. It's great. Doesn't do anything for d or c but definately helps with the pain. You can take 2 every 6 hours. Hope this helps. Oh and here's a list of some of the names it goes under in the us. Hope you can find it! Names for Buscopan in US

--------------------
Amy

Re: what is buscopan? new
      #145507 - 02/01/05 09:16 PM
Taylahmai

Reged: 11/03/04
Loc: Western Australia

Hi Beth. The antispasmodic I took was buscopan, and I think I overdosed on it (it says to take 4 tabs, 4 times a day). The packet said one of the possible side effects is constipation. OMG they were right!

--------------------
~ Live life, don't let life live you ~

Re: Cramps allll the time-Mellisa new
      #303429 - 03/28/07 05:51 PM
feelinggood

Reged: 09/11/06

i just read your post - I too have cramps alot of days , yes alot days, I have one or two BM a day and have cramps and spasms - even after I go there is little relief - I have a small window of the day when I feel okay - that is when I am in a cycle of attacks - when they calm down and my bowel motility is back on track it is like great! - but the attacks start again - i have not tried buscopan but am thinking i need to do something as i am worn out of the years of this - Debbie IBS-C?

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 556 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2901

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review