All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
What could it be?
      #144826 - 01/31/05 09:27 AM
abby82

Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: Nevada

Ok I guess I better give a little bit of history to see if anyone can help me. I first got IBS when I was about 17 and it was pretty bad for about a year or so - then I left home and moved to vegas and it completely disappeared for about a year and a half to 2 years. Then it started coming back when I was about 20 and after my 21st birthday party it was in full force and still pretty much is. In the last couple months I was really starting to think it was finally starting to get under control. I lived in Vegas for about 5 years - the first 2-3 were great and I loved it there and then the last two years Ive been majorly homesick and just hated every minute of living there. So finally my husband found a job in my hometown where all my family lives and we are in the process of moving right now! Im actually already back home and my husband will be here this weekend for good. Anyways both me and my husband thought that moving back home would really help me with all my stomach problems and stress but since Ive been here (for 2 weeks now) Ive been doing worse! I have been eating the exact same things as I did before and I have not changed a single thing - and its definitely not stress because Im home! I am usually an IBS-C and I VERY RARELY get D. But since Ive been home Ive already had it twice in 2 weeks which has never happened before. The ONLY thing that is different at all is the water Im drinking. I only drank bottled water in vegas cause the water there is AWFUL but Ive been drinking water out of the tap here because its out of a water softner. Is there any possible way this could be my problem? Or does anyone else have any ideas? Im so bummed out that Im getting worse up here - I really thought I was going to feel way better!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Could it be the stress from moving? new
      #144841 - 01/31/05 10:00 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

I know moving is always stressful for me, so I know I have to be extra careful with what I eat and find some relaxation time for me!

Not sure about the water. I know there have been some previous posts about tap water v. bottled water, but I'm afraid I forget what was said. Maybe do a search on it? Or perhaps someone else can help you with more info than me.

Good luck and hope you start to feel better soon!

--------------------
- Jennifer

Re: Could it be the stress from moving? new
      #144852 - 01/31/05 10:19 AM
abby82

I havent even had to really move yet - We are in the process of selling our house down in Vegas so once its up for sale then Im going to go back down there and pack and clean up the house. I just came up here in the meantime because I wasnt working down there so I was just sitting home all day anyways. So all I had to bring was a suitcase with me - the only stress Ive had is because Ive been so sick lately! Ill do a search on tap water though and see what I can find. Thank you!

Re: What could it be? new
      #145166 - 02/01/05 06:44 AM
TinaMarie

Reged: 01/31/05
Loc: MAINE, USA

Do you know where your water comes from? A well? City? There is an organism called Giardia that can give you IBS type sypmtoms, but it is usally in well water and can be treated (both the well and you). If you have city water you can request an analysis from them, they usually have that readily available, unless it is a very small town, then you may have to wait a bit.

Moving is the more likely culprit, moving, whether it is a good move or not, is stressful to adjust to. It's one of those top five major life changes, how can you not feel some stress?

Take care.

#145169 - 02/01/05 06:55 AM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

Just a quick add on to what everyone else is saying; I find (in my life) that stress creeps up on me without me realising until my tummy and stress levels are overloaded!! (Then I think, oh hang on...I'm stressed, duhhh) The thought of moving could be doing the sub consious thing and making you sick? Perhaps, maybe? Just an idea....

#145174 - 02/01/05 07:09 AM
MadameJoJo

Reged: 01/30/05
Loc: Purley, UK

Hi,
I find that I stress over my symptoms, the more I stress the more problems I get. Especially in the mornings, if I haven't had at least 1 BM I start stressing which causes me stomach cramps for the rest of the day... I have issues about going at work which makes it worse! Just thought that maybe the stress of the IBS is making things worse..

Jo x

Re: What could it be? new
      #145178 - 02/01/05 07:23 AM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

I have major problems when I don't drink bottled water... and it has to be natural spring water, not the processed water. I spend a fortune on it, but it's well worth it to me!

Why don't you try the bottled water for a week and see how it goes! Wouldn't hurt any!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

Re: Thanks everyone new
      #145205 - 02/01/05 09:03 AM
abby82

Thank you for all the replies - I am definitely going to stick with bottled water. As for the stress part - I realized I have been under a ton of it because I miss my husband sooooo much! He'll finally be up here for good next week but for right now he has been working the week in Vegas and coming to see me on the weekends. Its very hard for me because we are NEVER apart - the longest were usually apart is when hes at work for the day - never over weeks at a time. Ive been miserable!

#145212 - 02/01/05 09:26 AM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

Blimey, you sound like me, I stress about stressing and so on...! Plus I stress about going to work as well! So completely know where you are coming from there!!

Good stress? new
      #145271 - 02/01/05 12:07 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Hi Abby!

Anything can cause stress...even the good things in life. And a change is a change! Be good to yourself and patient too. I have a feeling that before you know it, you'll be feeling better!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Thanks Ruchie! nt new
      #145297 - 02/01/05 01:11 PM
abby82

Re: Good stress? new
      #145390 - 02/01/05 04:39 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Yeah I'd absolutely second what people have been saying about "good stress" - huge changes in life, really anything that upsets the regular 'routine' can be stressful without you really even knowing it. I totally know what you mean about having to ask yourself 'hey wait am I stressed out?' It's like your digestive system is wayyyy more sensitive to stress than yoru brain or other parts of your body are - or at least that's the way it is for me! I remember when I moved out of the house and in with my boyfriend in a new city far away from AND started going to college in one foul swoop was when my IBS started getting really bad - it's no that all this was scary or wasn't enjoyable (it was fun and a great move for me) but it was still stresful!

Cheers, Laurel.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2280 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1209

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review