All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
question on fiber supplements and other supps.
      #14440 - 07/20/03 08:44 AM
marla

Reged: 07/15/03
Loc: pa

Hi all, I've started trying the fiber supplements, I've been trying fibercon (the smallest dose) and it was helping with symptoms however, it's causing me to go to the bathroom even more than ever and my gas is HORRIBLE (amount and odor!) If I choose not to become a hermit, I need to find better fiber ideas, anyone have any suggestions? Anyone have the same problems with it? Also, how do you take the peppermint drops, every day or only with attacks? Same question for the ginger to help my nausea, do I take it everyday or only when I feel poorly? I feel so overwhelmed by this and figuring all this out and am very thankful to have found you guys because there truly is nowhere else to turn. Thanks to all, stay well, Marla

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: question on fiber supplements and other supps. new
      #14441 - 07/20/03 08:55 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Try switching brands on the fiber supplement. That may help. Just not equalactin, because that's the same kind as fibercon. Try citrucel or benefiber.

I'm not sure what you mean by "drops". I drink peppermint tea a couple of times a day, extra if I'm not feeling well. And, I have crystallized ginger, honey peach ginger tea if I feel nauseaus or if I just feel like having a cup. (not every day) I usually have a couple of cups of tummy mint tea every morning, and I think it helps keep my tummy settled before it gets upset.

#14446 - 07/20/03 10:16 AM
Georgia

Reged: 07/06/03
Loc: Granite City, IL

Hi Marla, hang in there and try the Citrucel or Benefiber and see if it helps. Unfortunately, it seems that IBS is a trial and error condition when it comes to remedies. Don't get discouraged! You're in my thoughts and prayers! Georgia

#14447 - 07/20/03 11:32 AM
marla

thank you Georgia, I will keep trying....

#14448 - 07/20/03 11:34 AM
marla

thanks Mags, I will try the other brands. I bought peppermint drops that are supplements from the health food store, they are enteric coated because I have reflux and that's the only way I can take peppermint without getting heartburn. Take care, Marla

#14449 - 07/20/03 12:01 PM
*Melissa*

OH! I know what you mean. The enteric coated capsules. I took them before. I think they worked for me some in the beginning. I was taking them once in the morning, because that's when all my probs would start, but I got that to stop with hypno and tea, so I just quit on the peppermint. I remember other posts about how often you're supposed to take them. Try a search or maybe someone else will give you some info.

Good luck! Let us know if the brand switch works.

#14453 - 07/20/03 02:13 PM
busymom

Reged: 06/30/03
Loc: Michigan

I found that Citrucel (sp?), definitely gave me less gas than Metamucil or Fibercon, which is nice if you don't want to be a hermit. Like Mags said, Peppermint tea is the best! Also, I got the tip from Heather's Book IBS: The First Year to take Peppermint Altoids like pills with water if you're out and about and have no peppermint tea. Really soothes your stomach.

#14461 - 07/20/03 05:10 PM
marla

ok I will let you know, thanks, you said you had hypno work for you? You feel like talking about that? I'd be interested in your experience with it as I've been hearing much about it. Marla

#14462 - 07/20/03 05:11 PM
marla

Great, I'll give it a shot, thanks!
Marla

#14466 - 07/20/03 05:35 PM
*Melissa*

Of course! Anything you want to know about the hypno, just ask. I posted on the hypno boards as I was going through it if you want to read back. Basically, back in November I started Eating for IBS, was "officially diagnosed" with IBS in January after a gazillion tests. I had been having symptoms since 1999. Ever since an attack on Dec. 17, 1999 I had been afraid to go anywhere. Back then I couldn't even make it to the store 5 min from my house. Before this, I was always out and about doing anything and everything - movies, concerts, road trips, sports events, dinner, parties - whatever came up, I was ready to go. So, anyway, I felt really good following Eating for IBS, but still had anxiety. So, I decided to tried the Audio 100, because you know after you've gone through the hell of IBS, you're pretty much ready to try anything. I went on ibsgroup.org and read on their boards about people that tried it and also searched on the web, because I was really skeptical, and I read nothing bad, so I figured what the heck - and it worked! I'm not 100%, but they say it continues to work after you finish. I just finished on July 7. As a matter of fact, tomorrow I'm going to the shore for a couple of days, and this is the first time in four years I actually want to go. I'm actually looking forward to it! I can't wait, because I love going to the shore. I am a little anxious about the ride, but I'm ready to go anyway. I'm going on the beach, I'm going on the boardwalk, I'm going out to eat, I'm gonna do it all - and I'm gonna like it if it kills me! Just kiddin. Seriously though, I really can tell the difference. Sorry to babble on, but it just feels so good to feel good! LOL OK, I'm done....whatever you want to know, feel free to ask, because you can see not only do I feel like talking, I can't shut up.

#14498 - 07/21/03 08:29 AM
marla

wow, that sounds wonderful! I also suffer from anxiety because of this, it's hard not to! I'm on Paxil but it's killing other part of my life with side effects, I'll have to look into that. Thank you for sharing. Have a great time at the shore, I too am going to try the shore in a couple weeks and am so worried about eating. Last year at the shore my whole family had to pack up and leave after two days because of my pain and anxiety, I feel much more prepared to deal with things this year but... Let me know how you make out, have a great time. Marla

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 363 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1438

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review