All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Can't stand C anymore!
      #14401 - 07/19/03 06:59 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

I was doing great for awhile with regular BM's, but now I can't go. We had a grill out at my house last night and in desperation I ate trigger foods I knew would cause me to go to the bathroom. Instead I dealt with acid reflux durning the night instead of sleep and this morning I am so bloated and to nobodys surprise I am in pain. I even bought laxatives for the first time yesterday. That doesn't even help.
What can I do to get instant relief? I do take fiber supplements everyday and incoprate both fibers in my diet. I do exercise. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.
Any suggestions will be appercaited. All I want to do is cry right now. Thank God for bib overalls, since that is all I can wear.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Can't stand C anymore! new
      #14403 - 07/19/03 07:06 AM
Georgia

Reged: 07/06/03
Loc: Granite City, IL

Hi Barbara, my IBS problems revolve around C also. I will tell you that many years ago (before diagnosis) laxatives were a terrible thing for me. They caused me gut-wrenching pain and D. When I'm feeling as you are, I take my Citrucel first thing in the morning and a dose of acidophilus (pro-biotic) and if I eat, it's only what Heather has listed on the safe foods list, i.e., sourdough or french bread, crackers, honeycombs, etc. I feel I need to snack often because if I let my stomach get too empty it only makes me feel worse. You might try the Peppermint tea to help settle things down, too. Good luck. You are in my prayers...Georgia

#14407 - 07/19/03 07:31 AM
Crow

Reged: 05/31/03
Loc: Adelaide, South Australia

Are you drinking plenty of water? I would perhaps try chomomile tea if anything. I know from experience that peppermint can play havoc with reflux. Are you taking anything for the reflux??

#14408 - 07/19/03 07:35 AM
BarbaraS

I drink water all day and I get teased at school right now because I'm always having to go to the bathroom.
I take Nexium for the reflux and the pepermint tea doesn't bother me. I do drink fennel tea for the bloating.

#14409 - 07/19/03 07:40 AM
BarbaraS

Thanks Georgia. I know laxatives are bad news and don't know what possessed me to try it. Believe me I won't do that again. I already tried the Cirtucel this morning.
I am nervous D will hit tommorrow when we are up north with my in-laws for a couple of days. Thankfully one of my sister-n-laws is an RN and she will understand.

#14413 - 07/19/03 08:26 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I can sympathize. I am dealing with this too. Sometimes I feel like I am taking my fiber supplement, avoiding trigger foods, and eating by Heather's guidelines, and I still have C!!! It is so frustrating. I get tired of being "good" all the time and sometimes I just throw up my hands and say, "What the heck! It's not working this way, I might as well be bad!" Then I rebel by eating things that I know are forbidden, and then I really pay for it with even worse pain and bloating. Sometimes I find that switching from one fiber supplement to another gets things moving. Read my previous posts about "switching back and forth." It sounds crazy, but it usually works when I'm desperate for relief.
Good luck to you.

#14415 - 07/19/03 11:09 AM
Georgia

Reged: 07/06/03
Loc: Granite City, IL

Barbara,
Sadly, I have the same reaction after an attack. It seems it takes my gut about 4 days to recover when I've had a bad attack. Good luck tomorrow. I'll keep you in my prayers. I hope your day gets less painful. I don't know if you use essential oils at all, but I very gently massage tea tree or marjoram oil along my colon. It helps soothe things, both oils act as an analgesic. You can also rub either on your neck when you have a sore throat and it will help alleviate the pain. Just use it straight from the bottle. It's amazing and it's all natural. Hang in there....Georgia

#14480 - 07/21/03 12:11 AM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

I'm so sorry for your pain. I've been where you are many times.

I was just wondering what dosage of SF supps you take? I found I had to increase mine before I really got "regular"

Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#14505 - 07/21/03 09:39 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I am so sorry to hear your feelong bad. I can totally relate though. I;ve come to the realization that without Mira-Lax (a prescription powder laxative) by body will not have a BM. If you continue to have problems you may want to ask your doctor about it. In the mean time, for fast relief the only thing that helps me move things now are suppositories. Yucky but when your desperate! Don't forget about the heating pad, that will help with the pain.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: Encouragement new
      #14509 - 07/21/03 10:09 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

Barbara,
I just want to encourage you to stick it out and try to keep doing those things that you know are right! I know it is SOO hard. I had gotten into a terrible cycle of using laxatives, enemas, whatever I had to because I would just get so desperate to go and so tired of my bloated out belly. It can LITERALLY be depressing.

I remember one night specifically fighting the TEMPTATION to go buy a laxative tea and gulp it down. I prayed and asked God to please help me see how to break this cycle, that I feared I'd never be free of this!

Since then things ARE better. Of course, there is Heather's diet, here's a few additional or specific things that I also think have helped me:
-cut out whole wheat (thought it would help C, wrong)
-cut out salads (again, misnomer!)
-ground flax seed every day in a soluble base, like oatmeal or rice chex
-eat small amounts more often (every 3 hours)
-drink 1/2 cup aloe juice on an empty stomach 3x day (I believe this is helping me, may be individual thing though so be warned!)
-probiotic once a day, I was told this would take weeks to make a difference but I'm sticking with it
-tons of water and exercise every day
-do what I need to do to cut back on my pent-up feelings of stress or of being overwhelmed

I haven't taken any kind of laxative in a long time and I'm not only going fairly regularly, but (can I get gross on you?) they are nice and long and soft and don't stink!! No more tiny black pebbles or watery stinky gunk!! Only here could we talk this way, right??

Hang in there!!!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1820 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2956

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review