All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS-C DIET
      #143997 - 01/29/05 07:05 AM
Karen From Kansas

Reged: 07/29/04
Loc: Kansas, obviously

Honestly, I haven't done the IBS diet. I now have the book and am going to try. But, I am nervous because several things it says to avoid are things that seem to help me: spicy food, fats (oils), and tomatoes.

It almost seems that I need the opposite of what is being proposed in many cases (with the exception of the soluable fiber -- I figured that one out before I even discovered this site!)

I know that many of you are IBS-C, but honestly, I get a little frustrated reading about the IBS-D. My colon is clinched like a tight fist all the time, and it seems that putting French bread and some of the other suggested foods in there is just a new recipe for cement.

I have tried many dietary suggestions in the past, but food does not seem to make a difference. (I am going to do another post in a minute that refers to that.)

I am sure you all will reassure me.

Hey, if you are an IBS-Der or an alternating D-C, please do NOT reply to this post.

--------------------
Karen from Kansas
IBS-C for 8 years

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS-C DIET new
      #144001 - 01/29/05 07:19 AM
KimGun

Reged: 10/15/04
Loc: St. Vincent & the Grenadines, Caribbean

I am IBS-C.....severley. I know what you mean about the colon pains and constipation. I was so bad I couldn't go to the bathroom on my own, and ate a great deal of fruits and salad, and especially loved cheese. I braved the diet, added insoluble fibre supplement, and am hugely improved. Am not better...don't know if I ever will be, but after 3 + years of pain and suffering, I am so relieved that I found help. Best of luck with the diet......remember to take it slowly.

Kim

#144013 - 01/29/05 07:57 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Despite the fact that I am IBS-D, I am a moderator here and know what I'm talking about. I can totally understand where you're coming from. I too have been horribly constipated by IBS.
You don't need to avoid spicy food at all. Oils can over stimulate the colon causing constipation. Tomatoes should DEFINITELY not be avoided. They are essential to a healty diet. We only suggest that you cook, peel, mash or puree them as with all other fruits and veggies. They are easier to tolerate that way.
Here is an explanation as to why soluble fiber (like french bread) actually helps constipation - not make it worse. web page
What you must understand is that insoluble fiber foods may temporarily make you "go" but it ends up overstimulating the colon and thus forces it to totally shut down - causing constipation. The soluble fiber foods will help regulate the colon to keep it from shutting down. It keeps it relaxed, while providing bulk for soft and regular stools.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: HanSolo a question for you? new
      #144017 - 01/29/05 08:06 AM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

HI, I noticed that you are from SW Ontario. I wanted to try new fiber besides Metamucil and didn't have any luck locating any of the brands that are talked about on here in our stores yet. Do you use a Canadian brand?

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

#144096 - 01/29/05 12:13 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I use Heather's Acacia. You can get it ordered here and comes really quickly. It's the best I find. You can also try Citrucel - it's easily obtainable. I don't know about Benefiber or Equalactin (US Wal-Mart). YOu can try Wal-mart or a Shoppers Drug mart to see what you can get.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#144109 - 01/29/05 01:16 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

thanks so much, I'll look around
Have a good day!!

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

#144931 - 01/31/05 01:47 PM
taroh73

Reged: 12/28/04
Loc: chicago, il

Hi Karen- I'm a severe IBS C as well. I think what you'll find is that we all are a little bit different. I like you need to have some fat to soothe my bowels. I also do fine w/spices, but i can't handle tomatoes! It's a lot of trial and error for you to figure your own system. I also do great w/dairy, which most people don't, and who knows why. I suggest trying a lot of SF foods and then trial and error for everything else!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3650 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 842

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review