All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Question about clothing...
      #143953 - 01/28/05 07:38 PM
Harmony

Reged: 01/08/05

For the past two years, I have not been comfortable in anything tight around my waist. I use to wear tight jeans or skirts, or pajamias, Now, I absolutely have to have stretchy or dresses that don't have a waist. I wear alot of what we call jumpers, or full body dresses, I also can't stand to have underwear on. I hate it when I have to go to the Dr. and wear them because it hurts my stomach or makes me uncomfortable. People think I am amish due to my style of dressing, but it's all for comfort. Does anyone else have this problem?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Oh yes honey....... new
      #143956 - 01/28/05 07:49 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

Omgosh, do I have a problem with clothing?????

I also try my best to keep from wearing anything tight. When I go shopping, I find myself trying to stretch the fabric on the clothes. I feel so much better in stretchy stuff!

Underwear?? Hate 'em. But, I do wear them, I just buy the granny panties a size or two larger. Bras, I wish I could go without, but, it doesn't look too nice for me to wear a tshirt without a bra.

I hate tight clothes, used to love them. But, they hurt me, and I try to do anything I can to get away from pain and being uncomfortable. You are not alone.

Check out these posts new
      #143964 - 01/28/05 08:01 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

on clothing. It has been talked about a lot as it is a problem with many of us.

bloat and pants

underwear advice

You are not alone. It is very frustrating and sad not to be able to wear normal girlie cute clothes anymore . Just baggy pants and long sweaters to hide the tummy.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

oh yeah... new
      #143981 - 01/29/05 01:07 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I love the princess waisted dresses from chadwicks.. and wear them all the time...

they have both a short and long sleeved versiona dn their petite larges fit me well with a clip on the back to snug in the waist when I'm not bloated, but plenty of room to expand as needed.. I get a lot of compliments on them... wear them even just to go grocery shop...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

The part that frustrates me.... new
      #143988 - 01/29/05 06:37 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

... is that even thought I have NO bloating, I STILL can't wear stuff with a waist that falls *at* my waist anymore. I have a pretty big collection of vintage 1950s dresses, with tight waists and big poofy skirts. The pressure on my middle is so uncomfortable that I can't wear them at all.

All my pants have to be either low-rise or a couple sizes too big in the waist. Thankfully, I don't mind low-rise, except that I'm always having to pull them up... because belts are too much pressure, too.

Ah, the many little "joys" of IBS.

Yep new
      #143999 - 01/29/05 07:14 AM

Unregistered

My problem with clothing just comes mostly from anxiety of being out in something that will make me uncomfortable if I'm not feeling good. Nausea is one of my biggest symptoms and you should see me trying to decide what to wear to go to a movie..the theatres are normally cold but I don't want to be stuck in there feeling bad and being hot (which I just can't stand because it makes me feel sick or just way worse)...so I have to plan accordingly. I generally always wear a thin tank top under my shirts, esp if they are long sleeved or thick so if I'm really hot I can take it off (never really happened, but something about the relief in knowing it's a possibility.

Then now that it's been kinda cold here on and off I've realized I have REALLY bad anxiety about wearing turtlenecks! If I was just going to walk around outside in the freezing cold I guess I could wear one, but to be inside somewhere where it's always warmer than the outside (I hate when places do that to compensate for the cold outside..but then everyone's hot because they've dressed to go outside.) and the pressure on my neck gets to be too much for me.

Well you are not alone, clothing is a big part of being comfortable with IBS.

Re: Yep new
      #144000 - 01/29/05 07:17 AM
khyricat

I hate anything touching the front of my neck and NEVER wear turltenecks.. they are even worse then things with a tight waist on my list... and thats bad..

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

Thanks! For all your replies I was feeling abit odd again...:) new
      #144055 - 01/29/05 09:10 AM
Harmony

I just got my official Drs. diagnosis of IBS yesterday. And we decided to forgo a gallbladder and liver sample because they felt that I was truly IBS and it would not cure or fix me to disrupt them. Surgery will make IBS worse for a while. But thanks for all the info!

Re: Check out these posts new
      #144060 - 01/29/05 09:22 AM
Harmony

Thanks for helping me through some rough questions. I do try to check the subject out first, but sometimes just being too lazy to do it again. those links helped alot.

Re: Oh yes honey....... new
      #144062 - 01/29/05 09:25 AM
Harmony

We have brought the MOoMoo back into style...:) I am so glad to hear this and see it as one more sign I am on the right track to becoming less obsessed with *What the hell is wrong with me!"...:)

Re: Chadwicks.... new
      #144093 - 01/29/05 12:06 PM
gigi

I am not sure which dresses you are talking about. I love to shop Chadwicks. I have some pretty things I have bought from them. Though I am extremely careful and check the item out from top to bottom before I purchase. Love to shop online.

I just received thier Spring Catalog yesterday. If you have it, can you point out this 'princess' style type dress to me? Thank You !!!

Re: Love your new pic Casey, you are so pretty !!!! nt new
      #144094 - 01/29/05 12:09 PM
gigi

Re: Chadwicks.... new
      #144097 - 01/29/05 12:16 PM
khyricat

didn't get the new catalogue yet.. but I looked online...

princess seam long sleeve

another long sleeve on clearance

I don't see the short sleeve one I bought last fall on sale... I have 4 of those.. they are the same though as the first one but with short sleeves.. very comfy! and look nice for work, or for play... easy to dress up or down...

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

Re: Khyricat Thanks for the Help !!!!! nt new
      #144101 - 01/29/05 12:26 PM
gigi

Movies!! new
      #144110 - 01/29/05 01:21 PM
Angie113

Reged: 12/31/04
Loc: Alternate b/w Northern and Southern California

I totally agree with you, Brittany, about the movies thing. It's always really cold there (why do they always have A/C even when it's winter??), but then I always get hot too if I start to feel yucky, and it can get really claustrophobic with sitting next to so many people in a tight space!! And yes, I used to buy much tighter jeans and now I just get annoyed with them...as Casey said, the many joys of IBS!

--------------------
~Angela

Re: Thanks! For all your replies I was feeling abit odd again...:) new
      #144117 - 01/29/05 01:52 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Hi Harmony and welcome! I didn't see your post til today, but I'm totally with you on the tight clothes thing! I had horrible night attacks of D until I realized that wearing anything to bed around my waist was sure to set it off, including pajama bottoms or undies!! Now I'll only go out in ultra low rise panties and jeans, and baggy corderoys (sp?) or potato sack dresses with absolutely no hose whatsoever (major trigger!!).

Mose of us have found comfort in Gap ultra low rise stretch jeans, if you're in the States. I know Dorothy Parker in the UK sells something comperable too if you can't find them where you are.

Good luck, and nice to meet you!!

~nelly~

Harmony new
      #144195 - 01/29/05 07:54 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I wasn't trying to imply that you should do a search first!!! People always give links to posts in their replies! It helps if you happen to miss something that was talked about in the past or a long time ago! That's how I've gotten information on lots of thing, by people providing links to certain posts!

It took me a while to try and figure out how to even do that for you, so you know that means I really wanted to help you. Maybe I should stop trying to post because I'm way too sensitive to peoples comments to me. Honestly, wanted to help you!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

I'm afraid that if I wear something like that people will think I'm pregnant. new
      #144546 - 01/30/05 04:19 PM
Casper

Reged: 10/16/04
Loc: Memphis, TN

What To Wear! What a question! new
      #144548 - 01/30/05 04:28 PM
Casper

Reged: 10/16/04
Loc: Memphis, TN

I agonize over that every day. B/C of my bloated IBS stomach my waist line and skirt width don't match.
I wear a size 4 and in anything else above that I look like I'm swimming but the 4 squeezes against my stomach... So I usually wear a 6 skirt and let the waist fall onto my hips and wear an oversized sweater or long jacket or vest to try to hide it.
I'm going out with my DH tonight and I pondered for 20 minutes before I came to that same usual conclusion.
Denim skirts and T-shirts or sweat shirts seem to be what I live in. On Saturday, when I go to Synagogue, I wear a suit with a long jacket that covers my waistline.

Somone should really create a fashion line for IBS sufferers. And I mean clothes that don't llok like they've come from the maternity section.

Can you tell I'm venting! This subject is a real sore spot with me.

Re: I'm afraid that if I wear something like that people will think I'm pregnant. new
      #144657 - 01/31/05 02:12 AM
khyricat

if you use the back clip, it pulls tight enough to show off the figure and people just think you're dressed nice.. I got some odd comments at the beginning, but now all I get are compliments on how flattering they are except from mom.

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

Re: The part that frustrates me.... new
      #144667 - 01/31/05 04:22 AM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

I'm so glad I'm not the only one! I can wear what I like to work and tend to just go for jeans and t-shirts, but if I'm having a bloaty day, like today, the jeans dig in and because I'm so thin have to wear a belt or they come down but that makes the pressure worse!!! Underwear I'm ok with, but the jeans are a nightmare! So I wear big jumpers over the top to not show off my extra tightened belts but they aren't very flattering!!

#144708 - 01/31/05 06:53 AM
Harmony

Thanks Nelly...I am 56 and have avoided the low riders, altho I have to admit that I end up with low riders because I have to loosen the waist or skirt to take the pressure off. And pantyhose!!!!!!!!!!!:(((( My husband would be so embarrased because I would wear those knee highs under my dresses...my dresses got longer and longer...:)

Re: Harmony new
      #144712 - 01/31/05 06:58 AM
Harmony

NO! Please don't be so sensitive with me. Sometimes I say things weird and it comes off that I am being defensive. It's not you or me, it's just that we got off on the wrong foot, and we only got one more foot to try...:) I appreciate your imput and always read your posts. I hope you will forgive me if I have adry wit sometimes. I clearly have truoble navigating for information and forget to go to the search....I have been using it more, and it has helped a great deal. Don't give up on me!...:)

I agree with you Casper--- new
      #144715 - 01/31/05 07:03 AM
bellshel32

Reged: 10/28/04
Loc: Kansas, USA

That style of dress looks frumpy on me. I'm petite & wear a size 6, but that type of dress makes me look huge. There's no way I'd wear that.

I, like you, just wear pants, skirts, jeans, etc that are a little big on my waist. The new style of waist that is cut a little lower is fabulous. I also love the fact that so many clothes now have stretch in them. I even have stretch jeans. They're awesome! Even with the stretch, the waist has to be a little big or I can't stand it. The funny thing is that I've been this way my whole life. When I was a little girl, I used to pull my pants up as high as I could (arm pits if they'd go that far) because I can't stand anything remotely tight on my waist.

Re: What To Wear! What a question! new
      #144719 - 01/31/05 07:05 AM
Harmony

Thanks for sharing/venting...same here. I use to speak publicly and was in a high stress job, having to wear suits. I can remember back then feeling just miserable! I was taking a group of ministers to see a new communty outreach ministry,,,and I will never forget having NOT put on panty hose or underwear because I was so sore. But I was standing at the top of the bus steps and a breeze caught my dress, needless to say, those below me coming up got a view!...:) And I assure you, I am no Marlyn Monroe...:) I have been shopping at places where I can get alot of denim jumpers. I find ones that have special beadings, or designs to set them off. I also love to wear Egyptian or Arab clothing that is beautiful, but comfortable. And some of it is so sexy and soft. My Dr. is Indian and we were discussing style, I dont' do the the scarfs, but I love the freeflow and try to wear it appropriately for outings. I am a 4 too, but you will find me getting 6 and 8 in some styles.

Wanted to share this link with you...I buy alot of their clothing new
      #144725 - 01/31/05 07:17 AM
Harmony

If the link doesn't work..go to White Stag

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/catalog.gsp?adid=1500000000000001530270&cat=136778&dest=103925&path=0%3A5438%3A5438%3A136775%3A136778

Re: I agree with you Casper--- new
      #144732 - 01/31/05 07:28 AM
khyricat

funny you mention that- I do that still with workout pants and PJ bottoms with a baggy top over them- pull it up and put it under my bra....

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

Re: Question about clothing... new
      #144843 - 01/31/05 10:07 AM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

There are quit a few of us that feel the same way about clothes. I can put something on in the morning and it feels fine and then by the end of the day I can't get home fast enough to change into my sweats. I can't stand anything tight around my waist or my stomach. Tight clothes just make me feel bad all day. It is almost like I feel clostrophbic in my clothes. I know that sounds silly. When I am buying clothes I have the hardest time because I have no rear and my legs are thin but my waist and stomach cause me to buy bigger pants that are usually baggy in the butt and legs. It's all about comfort for me. Who cares about the rest.

--------------------
Janey

Re: Question about clothing... new
      #144878 - 01/31/05 11:04 AM
LittleFox

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: California

I think you will find that all of us have problems with clothing due to our tummies and waists.

I wear dress slacks to work with various tops. All my slacks have elastic waist. I am a size 8 but wear a size ten to work in case of bloating, gas, pressure - all the things we go through. I wear a medium top, but get an XLARGE so no one can see my tummy (I found some nice ones at Walmart, Kmart, Sears and Gottschalk's) - Macy's and Neiman Marcus as well as Saks are just too high-priced and their clothing doesn't look that well on me.

It is one of the things we have to deal with due to IBS. We can still look nice, even though our clothing is to big for us, as long as we are comfortable who cares what others' think?

Someday we will all get like LauraSue and will be able to wear the clothing that we want more often. As for now, comfort is what I seek and that is what I buy.

Extremely good topic.

Lene

--------------------
God never promised life would be easy, but he did promise to provide a way out!

#145846 - 02/02/05 11:56 AM
Nelly

LOL! I hear you about the knee highs!! I live in those!! I had a friend who didn't do low-rise either and she had a terminally swollen belly and unzipped all her slacks. But then she took a look at herself and didn't want to be the girl with her pants undone, so she actually went to a maternity store and got slacks, etc. with those panels in them that expand and don't put too much undue stress on the belly! She's far braver than I, tho!

She said the salesladies were all asking her when she was due, and she's like, uh, I'm just sick and need pants that fit! She got cargo pants, jeans and skirts, all stylish, all maternity! *shaking head* No way I'd do it, tho!

~nelly~

#145879 - 02/02/05 01:00 PM
Harmony

I can remember my grandmother and those old gauze stockings rolled around here knees. And she wore those big dresses wit the apron...I think I understand why now...I am working hard everyday trying to find something on the light side about having IBS to embrace. I have been fighting it so long, now I quess it's time to treat it like a third boob, or for men, an extra ball...:) If it's not going to go away, I got to figure out how to live with it...

That's a good attitude!! new
      #145968 - 02/02/05 04:07 PM
Nelly

You have a great attitude! Yes, sometimes you just have to throw up your hands and laugh at the absurdity of it all. Take comfort that you're not alone!

~nelly~

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 617 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6618

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review