All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Exercise question
      #143780 - 01/28/05 10:58 AM
abby82

Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: Nevada

I was wondering what kind of exercise would be best for someone that DOES NOT want to lose weight? I see so many people say they feel better since they have started exercising and I want to give it a try. I have just been putting it off because Im afraid it will just make me lose even more weight and I REALLY dont want to do that. Ive been trying to gain for sooo long and nothing is happening. I know that Heather said that weight-training can help gain weight - does anyone have any suggestions about this? We just got a bowflex so I was thinking about using it everyday to try and build muscle. If I cant gain weight through fat - maybe muscle will work!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Exercise question new
      #143805 - 01/28/05 11:46 AM
mindyj

Reged: 05/14/04
Loc: Northern Virginia

Hi Abby,
My excercise isn't a weight loss thing either - like you, it's NOT something I need to do. But exercise helps me feel better and I find I have fewer flares/attacks when I am more active. I am in a martial arts class that involves strength training, flexibility and lots of forms. We all move at our own pace and it's a focussed environment, which is good for me to ease my stress level. I really enjoy it and I know the activity is good for me. My weight has been pretty stable while doing it. The main thing I would avoid is aerobics type work outs or running. Lots of people do like walking though - maybe another suggestion.

Good luck!

#143819 - 01/28/05 12:01 PM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

In order to build muscle with weight training you need to lift a heavy amount of weight each day but only do maybe 5 reps. For fat burning you lift a smaller amount of weight but do more reps.

I would also recommend cardio....it will not only make your IBS better but will keep your heart and the rest of your body healthy too!!

#143824 - 01/28/05 12:06 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Yoga! That should be fine.

If you try the weight-training, make sure you eat more protein as it will use energy up and you don't want to lose weight everywhere but your arms!

#143852 - 01/28/05 01:22 PM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

My vote would go to yoga, but cardio excercise is good for having a healthy heart! Maybe just do it for like ten minutes, or only two days a week? or excercise for a decent amount of time, but eat more! DO you think you could tell us what you eat in the average day? I by no means know what you eat, but I know before you said you almost live off of angel food cake, and that tends to be low calorie if I remember correctly, not sure cause I don't eat it.
Maybe you think you are eating more than you are... just trying to help!

--------------------
-Sheri

#143870 - 01/28/05 01:49 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

whatever you do- make it aerobic.. I too don't need to lose weight but I want to build back up the muscle and endurance I used to have, so I am looking at increasing caloric intake based on what I am expending in the training I'll be doing with the long distance bike training... most people don't need to do what I am going to be doing though... so you should have an easier time of doing that part... but lots of higher calorie foods are safe for us, and if you are exercising more you cna also increase portion size as well...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#143895 - 01/28/05 02:54 PM
abby82

For breakfast I eat 2 peices of toast with grape jam and a banana, for lunch I usually eat a small turkey burger, thai kitchen noodles (not the sauce/mix) and baked lays, for dinner its usually 2 chicken breasts, rice, oven fries (one potato) and bread. In between I eat tons of angel food cake (like half a cake a day), sometimes dry cereal like rice chex or honeycomb, saltine crackers, stuff like that. I definitely want to eat more I just have a hard time making myself try new things. I really want to try Peanut butter and jelly, more vegetables, protein drinks, and tons more I just cant do it!

Re: What are some good high calorie foods? nt new
      #143896 - 01/28/05 02:57 PM
abby82

check the boards here... new
      #143904 - 01/28/05 03:10 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

there are lots of simple to make sweet breads and cakes, most of which are higher calorie... also luna bars are nummy and at 180 cal or so each I can switch from one per snack to 2 and still be ok...

I know it will mean adding sugar and more protein to my diet then I am now... also pasta is a high calory item on its own- 1 pound of spaghetti = 1600 calories, so if you eat 1/4 pound at a sitting that is 400 calories plus whatever you put on it... things like that add up fast.

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Cakes
      #144050 - 01/29/05 09:06 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

How about just switching the angel cake to one of Heather's breads? They're really calorific and contain totaly safe veggies or fruit. I adore the cinnamon zucchini bread, but as I'm trying to lose weight, I can't touch it - 7 WW points a slice!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2608 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1908

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review