All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Endurance training...
      #143730 - 01/28/05 08:58 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I know this has come up here before.. but any specific suggestions from some of the other athletes who read these boards I'm starting training officially next week, but working out in that direction already towards a 150 mile Bike ride in July... its to raise $$ for MS.. but the ride itself takes a toll on the body as does the training, but I really miss the runners high and can't run anymore so am hoping to get the endurance workouts and make my overall wellness go up with this workout scheudle... any suggestions on safe things to eat/drink to keep the body going that I may not have thought of??

Thanks in advance.

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Endurance training... new
      #143961 - 01/28/05 07:57 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

My advice is to get bike and fitness magazines. They are loaded with great info. Also get a lightweight and well functioning bike. And padded shorts!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#143982 - 01/29/05 01:10 AM
khyricat

that part I know... I am more concerned about the food end of it here.. I have help with the rest of the group I'll be riding with on the biking end of things... right now I'm doing indoor training anyway... Mark wants me to take some spinning classes, but I can't justify going to the place he teaches them... even though he can make arrangements for us to take the classes for a fee without Gym membership- its an hour away and he teaches at 6 AM.... I couldn't go on days I work and get back here in time...

I need to look into local places to take similar classes without joining a gym...

Amie

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

#144056 - 01/29/05 09:11 AM
Little Minnie

But they have articles about the food factor. I can't quite remember the formula for ideal energy. There is a formula for carb/protein/sugar etc that gives optimum performance. I know the protein is pretty high.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#144086 - 01/29/05 11:30 AM
khyricat

that it is.. was more looking for high cal high protein safe items for the roadside... I was debating starting to drink gatorade, but wasn't sure if it was safe, and I used to do some protein paste things and bars while I ran/biked, but I'm pretty sure they aren't safe anymore.. at least not as safe as Luna bars... so looking for alternatives to those things.

Amie

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

#144170 - 01/29/05 06:07 PM
Little Minnie

Sorry I can't be of more help. I do sometimes drink Gatorade but in moderation and not gulping on an empty stomach. It doesn't have any restricted ingredients. I used to eat trail mix when working in snow or hiking but of course I always got sick. Now I make raisin/nut oat cookies and they fill you up. You could try those Trail Mix cookies or think about putting nuts in moderation in your food. But frankly it isn't easy to come up with safe ideas.

--------------------

#144186 - 01/29/05 07:32 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Shane says if this is something that you want to have with you like in a fanny pack for energy...what you want are carbs & sugar i.e. poweraide (I drink these with no problems), luna bar(all safe), any fruit you can tolerate, honey (they make those little straws), bread.... any carbs...and they will break down into sugar.

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#144240 - 01/30/05 02:12 AM
khyricat

thats what I remember from running before.. wasn't sure if Luna bars would work- they aren't as straight carb as some of the others... but sounds like they will.. I'll have to go experiment.. first day of training (30 minutes minimum on the bike is tomorrow since today is our get together)

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

thanks for the reminder... new
      #144279 - 01/30/05 08:00 AM
khyricat

I'll try the trail mix cookies..

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

Re: thanks for the reminder... new
      #144501 - 01/30/05 02:03 PM
Little Minnie

I asked DH if he remembers the magic formula for carb/protein/fat but he doesn't. I can't either but I know running and bike mags talk about this magic percentage, and everyone knows about carbs but there is special tricks about protein. Sorry I can't be of more help.

--------------------

#144730 - 01/31/05 07:25 AM
nicky

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: Colorado

Amie,
look into Accelerade. It contains protein... Just make sure that you put lots of ice in it, because when it gets warm, it doesn't taste all that good anymore... I'm a competitive cyclist, and for the longer races, I usually eat a sandwich (either w/turkey or peanut/almond butter - yes, I can eat those, I don't have IBS but used to suffer from IBS-like symptoms for years!) and a banana just before the race, and then during the race I have the accelerade. I don't do well with solid food, so I'm really happy I discovered it, I tried Cytomax before (similar to Gatorade, I believe) but that gave me the worst cramps ever! (Dropped from 7th place to 11th on the first day of a stage race one time... had to lay on the side of the road to make the cramps go away just enough so I could finish the race )
Hope this helps!
-nicky-

--------------------
nicky

Nicky- new
      #144734 - 01/31/05 07:31 AM
khyricat

as a previous cyclist- any suggestions.. or hints for me? my history is as a runner not a cyclist, so this is fairly new to me... but I am going to start on the indoor bike after work today and slowly increase the duration and frequency of my workouts... for now 3 days a week 2 shorter, one longer is the plan...

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

Re: Nicky- new
      #144740 - 01/31/05 07:39 AM
nicky

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: Colorado

Amie, email me at nickyvb@yahoo.com with any questions you might have, I'd be more than happy to try to help!
-nicky-

--------------------
nicky

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 630 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1445

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review