Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
IBS Challenge For 2005!
      #143673 - 01/28/05 07:08 AM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hello All!

I know we are already 28 days into 2005, but I wonder if it's too late for me to issue the following challenge to all those who read Heather's message boards.

My challenge is for everyone to switch to eating organic food while following Heather's diet rules. My sincere wish is for everyone on this board to go forth in 2005 experiencing improvements in their IBS symptoms.

I know from personal experience my IBS improved 1,000 per cent when I switched to eating organic food. A big reason for this is because regular food contains all kinds of chemicals, additives, pesticides, preservatives, harmones and other undesirable things. Plus much of our North American food is now genetically modified. All of these things can aggravate your IBS.

Can I talk anyone into taking on this challenge -- even for just two weeks to give it a try? I really hope I can because I know your IBS will be so much better if you eat organic.

You will also be healthier and you will be absolutely delighted at how much better organic food tastes as compared to regular food. Organic food is more expensive than regular food, but well worth the extra cost.

Please feel better soon!

Belinda

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS Challenge For 2005! new
      #143719 - 01/28/05 08:42 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

No thanks I'll pass.... it is just not necessary... you can follow Heather's diet and have WONDERFUL results without switching to Organic....

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#143722 - 01/28/05 08:47 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

I'm going to have to agree with Shell. I've noticed no difference between organic and regular food for me, except for the price!

And unfortunately, being able to pay for my electricity and rent is going to have to take priority over buying organic fruits.

Plus, I'm hoping the added hormones will give me a height boost that I so desperately need. LOL Kidding..

--------------------
- Jennifer

#143723 - 01/28/05 08:51 AM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04

I never noticed a difference when I ate organic....but maybe it's just me!!

If it worked for you though then all the power to you...keep it up!!

not for me... new
      #143726 - 01/28/05 08:54 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I have had wonderful results without the organic mess... and I can't afford the time involved in going organic with where I am living... good luck

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Sorry, but me neither new
      #143735 - 01/28/05 09:04 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I would love to go all organic, but I believe in the US organic is much more expensive than in Canada. I can barely pay rent and utilities as it is.

Plus Heather has assured us that organic is not necessary for stability, thank heavens. I just cannot pay twice the price for an organic apple.

I do have an oganic spray wash that I bought at whole foods and it lasts forever, so that's the best I can do on my income level.

I wish I could do all organic because I really do believe it is better and healthier, but I just can't afford it at this time.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#143752 - 01/28/05 10:00 AM
jujubeeof2

Reged: 12/21/04
Loc: California

For me, it's more about how much I eat rather than what I eat, but it's also about what I eat first, organic or not. I've done the organic route and noticed no difference either. I do make sure though that I get all my fruits and veggies from the health food store where they are certified to be free of pesticides, ect. I do this for my whole family. The fruits/veggies that I get at the health food stores are actually cheaper than getting them at a regular grocery store though....

--------------------

Re: Sorry, but me neither new
      #143769 - 01/28/05 10:45 AM
belinda

Our year-round organic produce comes from California. Organic produce is only available in Canada during harvest seasons here.

Please send me the link where Heather has assured you organic is not necessary. I am very interested in this since she recommends eating organic in both her books. Has she changed her mind?

here ya go new
      #143777 - 01/28/05 10:57 AM
Shell Marr

Quote:

Please send me the link where Heather has assured you organic is not necessary. I am very interested in this since she recommends eating organic in both her books. Has she changed her mind?

Here ya go.... I don't think it's essential

--------------------

#143787 - 01/28/05 11:08 AM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

hahahah you're hysterical!!! :-)

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

#143791 - 01/28/05 11:12 AM
belinda

If you eat organic and you do not follow Heather's diet rules, or you cheat on the diet, then you would see no difference in your IBS symptoms. Not following the diet properly or cheating have the same results whether or not you eat organic.

How many of you who responded to my posting followed Heather's diet and did not cheat while eating organic?

I can assure you organic works. But you have to follow the diet and not cheat otherwise it's hardly a fair test, is it?

#143793 - 01/28/05 11:16 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

As we have all seen - IBS is a very individualized problem. I'm happy that eating only organic works well for you, but it does not necessarily mean that it will work for everyone.

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

#143795 - 01/28/05 11:18 AM
Jennifer Rose

Quote:

If you eat organic and you do not follow Heather's diet rules, or you cheat on the diet, then you would see no difference in your IBS symptoms. Not following the diet properly or cheating have the same results whether or not you eat organic.

How many of you who responded to my posting followed Heather's diet and did not cheat while eating organic?

I can assure you organic works. But you have to follow the diet and not cheat otherwise it's hardly a fair test, is it?

So maybe a better challenge should be "don't cheat on the IBS diet" first.. and then those who complete that challenge could try the organic challenge.

To be honest, we're all human, and besides yourself (maybe 1 or 2 others) I don't think there is anyone here who does not cheat at least once or twice in their life. So because we cheat once or twice (and feel it's worth it despite the consequences.. sometimes you just have to have that chocolate!), the organic diet isn't going to work for any of us.

--------------------
- Jennifer

Re: here ya go new
      #143799 - 01/28/05 11:26 AM
belinda

Shell Marr:

Thank you for locating and posting the link. I'm afraid I don't agree with Heather on this. But, then, I don't agree with some of her recipes or her promoting certain prepared foods such as baked potato chips, etc. as being IBS safe. On the other hand, Heather's diet and lifestyle rules are the best anywhere in the world for controlling IBS.

The question one has to ask themselves is how one is feeling. If you are not stable or you are in pain or you are having other IBS symptoms, then you need to look at everything possible in order to get well, including, I'm sorry to tell you, eating organic.

Following the diet without cheating, as well as exercising, taking some form of relaxation such as yoga and eating organic, etc. all add up to better controlling your IBS symptoms and feeling good. It's not just one thing, it's the combination of things that will make you well. It's a difficult road to travel, but if you travel on the right path it will lead to improvements in your IBS symptoms.

Followed it exactly!! new
      #143800 - 01/28/05 11:27 AM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04

I followed the diet EXACTLY...I mean....I didn't cheat even once for 6 months!!! The organic didn't make a difference....I did organic for a few months and then realized it didn't help and went back to regular and felt exactly the same.

Trust me...I know it didn't make a difference with me....but thanks for trying to help!!

#143801 - 01/28/05 11:31 AM
belinda

I think you miss my point.

My point is you can't say organic doesn't work if you cheated on the diet. If you cheated, then whether you ate organic or conventional food, the results would be the same. You would have an IBS attack.

In other words, the results of your organic test would have been skewed and you wouldn't really know whether organic helped or not.

#143804 - 01/28/05 11:43 AM
Jennifer Rose

So maybe you should add the fact that we also have to stick to the diet and not cheat AT ALL to the organic challenge. Because if people were to eat just organic and still cheat, then it wouldn't work for them.

--------------------
- Jennifer

#143811 - 01/28/05 11:53 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I eat 65% Organic but don't know if I could do it 100%. Some things just aren't sold organically.

#143817 - 01/28/05 11:58 AM
Shell Marr

Quote:

I DON'T eat organic.... NEVER HAVE.... I still cheat from time to time.....and I'm still stable! Organic has NOTHING to do with it.

--------------------

Yeah, I'm with you, Beth new
      #143818 - 01/28/05 11:59 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I'm on a very limited, very fixed income, and organic products are just not possible for me. The best I can do is grow my own during the summer months, which I will be doing starting this year, and I'm excited about that. But buy organic, at twice the price or more? No way.

And it's a darn shame, because although I *do* believe that eating organic is not necessary for IBS relief, I do feel it's healthier in general, for everyone. It's a shame that we have to pay through the nose for things that are good for us, but crap like ramen noodles and mac & cheese is practically free. Grr.

Re: here ya go new
      #143821 - 01/28/05 12:03 PM
Shell Marr

Quote:

Shell Marr:

Thank you for locating and posting the link. I'm afraid I don't agree with Heather on this. But, then, I don't agree with some of her recipes or her promoting certain prepared foods such as baked potato chips, etc. as being IBS safe. On the other hand, Heather's diet and lifestyle rules are the best anywhere in the world for controlling IBS.

The question one has to ask themselves is how one is feeling. If you are not stable or you are in pain or you are having other IBS symptoms, then you need to look at everything possible in order to get well, including, I'm sorry to tell you, eating organic.

Following the diet without cheating, as well as exercising, taking some form of relaxation such as yoga and eating organic, etc. all add up to better controlling your IBS symptoms and feeling good. It's not just one thing, it's the combination of things that will make you well. It's a difficult road to travel, but if you travel on the right path it will lead to improvements in your IBS symptoms.

OK... I DO all of the above EXCEPT eat organic (including, going to the gym 6 days a week, one of those days being a yogo class).....AND I'M STABLE..... I don't NEED organic food! Your NOT gonna sell me on this one......sorry!

--------------------

#143823 - 01/28/05 12:05 PM
Shell Marr

Quote:

I think you miss my point.

My point is you can't say organic doesn't work if you cheated on the diet. If you cheated, then whether you ate organic or conventional food, the results would be the same. You would have an IBS attack.

In other words, the results of your organic test would have been skewed and you wouldn't really know whether organic helped or not.

But, if you don't eat organic...and your stable... then organic has nothing to do with it!

--------------------

Thanks Shell new
      #143880 - 01/28/05 02:13 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

It took me so darn long to get my computer to highlight the address, that by the time I got it, you had already posted it! It was the exact post I was going to refer to!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#143891 - 01/28/05 02:33 PM
joan in CT

Reged: 01/10/05
Loc: Fairfield County, Connecticut

Hi,
I try organic foods such as organic vegetables, organic milk and lately - now that I am learning about IBS triggers - organic rice milk. You always have to read labels because lots of things call themselves organic and they are not. I try to buy organic chicken because my daughter thinks that chickens raised with hormones affect her little girls by bringing on early puberty. There is some evidence of this. It certainly makes sense doesn't it?
Anyway, its hard to buy everything organic unless you live near a fabulous health food store, but if I can get organic veggies, milk, eggs and chicken, that's a pretty good start, don't you think?

Right now I am in the throes of an IBS episode, so I am eating Heather's boring menu for what to eat when everything bothers you. Can't wait to add more interesting items.

Joan in Trumbull, CT

Re: Thanks Shell new
      #143898 - 01/28/05 02:58 PM
Shell Marr

Quote:

It took me so darn long to get my computer to highlight the address, that by the time I got it, you had already posted it! It was the exact post I was going to refer to!

Your welcome!

--------------------

I'm stable and I can't do organic either -- although I also try... new
      #143919 - 01/28/05 04:50 PM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

to avoid the unhealthy stuff as much as possible. I also grow some things during the summer months -- bake my own breads and things like that.

You have to balance things the best you can. Worrying about little details -- and having financial troubles can also cause stress which can make IBS worse.

I buy organic as much as possible... new
      #143942 - 01/28/05 07:03 PM
Angie113

Reged: 12/31/04
Loc: Alternate b/w Northern and Southern California

although I basically don't have to worry about money yet since I am a spoiled college student and live off Mommy and Daddy's steady and sustainable income!! However, I am getting increasingly worried about the impending day when I graduate (less than 2 years away) and then will immediately become broke, or at least not nearly as successful as my parents have been since I am not remotely interested in anything that makes money.

So I support organic buying, but that may change when I really have to pay for it out of my own pocket...

--------------------
~Angela

Re: Can't do it... new
      #143958 - 01/28/05 07:53 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

I live in a rural area, I have no outlet to buy organic.

When I travel though and find it in grocery stores, it is very expensive.

Re: Thats right Casey....nt... new
      #143959 - 01/28/05 07:55 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

Can't afford it! new
      #143990 - 01/29/05 06:45 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I'd love to, not because of health but because of the environment. However, I spend alot of money on stuff for my IBS and Fibro as it is AND my health problems mean I'm out of work!

But I do buy organic eggs.

Casey, well said! n-t new
      #146372 - 02/03/05 12:42 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2664 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3525

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review