All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Anti-Depressant Help for IBS-D
      #143339 - 01/27/05 10:00 AM
foleyd

Reged: 01/27/05
Loc: Gilbert, AZ, USA

Hello I am new here and have read some really useful information on the boards. I hope I am not repeating anything. I suffered from constipation for years, but after having my gallbladder out I switched to IBS-D. I currently take Lotronex one time per week. I have suffered from depression, anxiety, and irritation for years, but have only recently sought help. I was put on Zoloft (50mg) which worked pretty well for a couple of weeks but then it became less effective. I was put on 100mg and then the problems started: gas, cramping, and diarrhea. Other than that (HA HA) the Zoloft worked well. I then looked in Heather's book and saw that this is a problem with all of the SSRIs. I am currently on Wellbutrin XL (150mg), however I don't think it is helping, in fact I think it is making my depression worse. My doctor has suggested Effexor, but I wonder if this will cause me the same problems as Zoloft. She hesitates to put me on Tricyclics because of the side-effects, and frankly those worry me too. So, I would love to hear from anyone with IBS-D who has had success for their depression with a specific anti-depressant. You can email me privately if you with. THANK YOU.

--------------------
Deanna Foley
foleyopal@cox.net

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anti-Depressant Help for IBS-D new
      #143342 - 01/27/05 10:04 AM

Reged: 01/05/05

I am mostly IBS-C but my dr. recently put me on effexor. He feels it is the most mildest antide drug and hopefully it should help with relaxing my colon (I guess it relaxes us which in turn will relax the IBS) still waiting results. I have been on it a couple of weeks but it could take one month or so I am told

Feeback????

#144894 - 01/31/05 11:47 AM
chi

Reged: 01/05/05
Loc: Chicago

I've been on Lexapro for a while, and it's worked really well for my depression. However, my most recent bout of IBS-D started since I started the Lexapro. So, I would ask about it, but am not sure what your body will think of it. Hope that helps!

#144897 - 01/31/05 12:04 PM
nancy r

Reged: 11/24/04
Loc: arizona

My flare up got worse with lexapro too... They put m on amitriptoline since it has a constipating effect which has helped me tremedously.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3034 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 603

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review