Post deleted by Cloe

Edited by Cloe (01/28/05 11:53 AM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS Symptom question new
      #143330 - 01/27/05 09:46 AM
KimGun

Reged: 10/15/04
Loc: St. Vincent & the Grenadines, Caribbean

Before we pursue this further..... are you sure you have IBS or is it chronic constipation. I am an IBS-C (constipation) person, and used to suffer a great deal with colon pain on my left side, (spasms/pressure pain), and a lot of abdominal bloating and discomfort. Sometimes, I used to feel like I should have a BM, but could not at all. I don't think anyone ate more raw salads, fruits and fibre than I did, but it reached the stage that I continued to worsen, and could not have a BM on my own. I was in so much pain that I had to take a laxative every other day to relieve pressure/pain....until I found this site which has saved me..... particularly from pain and depression.
I now only eat blended/pureed fruit drinks and over cooked veggies....no raw salad or additional bran/brown rice. I am on a fibre supplement and following Heather's diet rigidly. I found that fibercon did not work for me, but you must experiment to see which is best. I like Benefiber better than the Acacia, but will try the Citrucel next. I now have a BM every other day, and am rarely in pain. Am feeling SOOOO much better. Hope I have been of some help.

#143331 - 01/27/05 09:46 AM
bellshel32

Reged: 10/28/04
Loc: Kansas, USA

I have IBS-C also. Don't do away with your wheat and insoluble fiber. Your C will come back with a vengence.

I tried Heather's diet without the wheat breads or much insoluble fiber, and I got so C. From talking to others on this website, I've found that those of use who are C MUST add more insoluble fiber into our diets.

Although I eat white bread on occasion with a meal, I generally stick to a multi-grain bread.

You should continue taking your soluble fiber supplements, too, especially since they help you. I'm still trying to figure out how much & what kind of supplement to use. Congratulations that you've found some assistance!

#143332 - 01/27/05 09:51 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Hello and Welcome from a fellow IBS'er with C!! Please understand that Heathers diet is great but people with C tend to need much more insoluble fiber than people with D! When I first started the diet, I misunderstood and cut out almost all of the insoluble fiber food and the C did get worse. I still eat some wheat bread on occasion! The key is getting a good soluble fiber base first! In fact, when I'm stable, I even have things like salads! I always eat some bread first for the soluble fiber base and use non fat dressing! Its all about finding the right combination for you!

I will also add that 4 fibercon pills a day is nothing!! You really need much more than that. Its hard to get all the fiber supplement that you need from pills. You really should try using a powder form, you get SO much more soluble fiber that way. I used to take 8 fibercon pills a day, no I take one spoon of Acacia a day instead! I keep the fibercon in my purse and if I'm eating out or something, I'll supplement with a couple of fibercon! Cirtucel and benefiber also seem to work well for a lot of people. But really, 4 fibercon a day is just not enough!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#143416 - 01/27/05 12:08 PM
abuss

Reged: 01/13/05
Loc: Lake Crystal, MN

My GI told me that Metamucil and Citrucel work better than Fibercon. I used to take Fibercon until she told me not to. It's so hard to know, everyone is different.

#143419 - 01/27/05 12:17 PM
taroh73

Reged: 12/28/04
Loc: chicago, il

This seems to be one of those very individual - you have to figure it out the hard way for yourself- type questions. I am also a severe C, and have oddly found that eliminating the IF, including wheat bread helps soften my stool and make it easier to go. (makes no sense but neither does this dumb disorder). I have a much better time w/soft white bread!

#143465 - 01/27/05 02:50 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Here's a link explaining why soluble fiber supplements help ease constipation: web page It is a common misconception that soluble fiber can make constipation worse. It helps it. Insoluble fiber is essential to everyone's diet, but it has to be incorporated carefully. That means having soluble fiber first, then adding the insolubles.
WHat happens to constipated people is that things like whole wheat bread stimulates the colon and you go, but what it really does is OVER stimulates the colon and then it shuts down completely, causing constipation. If you keep up with the soluble fiber, it makes the insolubles more tolerable and keeps the colon from being overstimulated - and from shutting down.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#143810 - 01/28/05 11:53 AM
Cloe

Reged: 01/27/05

Thank you ALL that responded to my question! I appreciate the overwhelming support! To update you.. I have stopped with the wheat products for two days just to see how I would react and I have ate Graham crackers on an empty stomach and today is the first day I have been pain free for around 6 months!!!! I forgot what "no pain" felt like. So again... thank you so much for the replies!!!! -Cloe

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2046 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1629

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review